Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Boardman cx team, anyone got one……
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

watcha think of it? Fancy a change from my CDF and these seem to come with a decent spec and reviews. Called into my local Halfords to have a nosey today, but they did’nt have any. Never used Sram double tap before either, guess its just a case of getting used to it tho.
    Also, I believe they come with a press fit bottom bracket which has very mixed reviews, if an adaptor was fitted to run an ordinary BB, would the crankset need to be changed, or does an adaptor not alter any dimensions?

parkesie
    Free Member

Had mine a year and 2000kms now use it for comuting and messing around taking the long way home. BB is just starting to die so will replace with a Hope press fit like the mtb has. You’d need a new crank if you fitted adaptors and external cups 30mm v 24mm or whatever they are.
    Wheels are heavy but are lasting well with me and a rear pannier full of junk most days so cant complain.

cp

They’re great IMO. Ride and handle nicely and have a nice head angle unlike most modern gravel bikes which have wandery slack head angles.

Bb30 fine here on two boardman cx bikes, bearings last ages. Pop the seals and pack with grease and they’ll last.

Much lighter and better handling than cdf in my opinion.

parkesie
    Free Member

Bb was fine just some grass wrapped in making it stiff 🙂

bigmick25
    Free Member

yep bought one a few months ago (with BC discount and Halfords discount it was a no brainier) 750 m in and it seems great does everything I want,general lane bashing during the winter and even did a 80mile sportive on it and din’t die.

TiRed

Have an original one with BB converter Compared with a CDF, there is comparison. I use mine exclusively for road training, and will race it. Geometry is classic 73 degrees parallel road race. The new ones are a little slacker, I believe, depending on size.

They aren’t light bikes, but then the CDF has a gravitational field of its own.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’m not very good at understanding geometry, on the new one’s the head angle is 71.5 and seat angle 73.5. What doe’s this mean? comfier? more relaxed? less racy?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I don’t have one but I’ve ridden my mate’s. It’s fine for road and towpath stuff but I found it harsh on anything more than that, particularly the front end. That’s on 40mm knobblies (WTB Nanos).

71.5 is racey compared to a 29er, but normal for a CXer.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

As an alternative, have you looked at the new Arkose X 2017 for £900?

http://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-x-2017-adventure-road-bike-EV275629

jate
    Free Member

Bought one just under 4 years ago. Done lots of miles on it and had no problems with the BB30 (when I bought it Halfords said if there was an issue with the BB then just bring it in and they would replace).
    It handles well, good spec (although I’m not a big fan of the Sram double tap tbh) and I’ve done rides of upwards of 80 miles & survived.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Yes, been looking at the Arkose range as well. Like the look of the Spesh Diverge too. Things was a lot easier when I were a lad, and you had a Raleigh and that was that 😀

pdw
    Free Member

As for getting used to SRAM double tap… it came on my CX bike and yes, you very quickly adapt to using it, but I still don’t actually like it, and find the Shimano stuff on my other bikes to be nicer to use and more reliable.

parkesie
    Free Member

You could still get a Raleigh there cx bikes look nice aswell.

butcher

It’s a great workhorse but I find mine a bit dull tbh. I’m not sure if it’s because I was between sizes and got a medium because Halfords see to stock very few quantities of the other sizes – may have preferred a small. It weighs a tonne in comparison to road bike, despite spec. But I dare say that may be normal for a cx – I’ve nothing to compare it to.

The Sram double tap is great in one way, and I’m a big fan of separating brakes and gears, especially on a CX bike. But it’s not perfect. For example the gear levers are so big they sometimes catch your fingers when braking, and also get caught on the bars and occasionally stick there. And they can be heavy to use. And this is from someone who likes the mechanical feel of Sram, especially on my mtb, but they’re just that little bit more effort than they should be. They’re intuitive to use after a few rides though.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2014 one, and love it. Its a go-to bike for just general hacking about, shorter road trips (30 to 40 miles), offload…..very happy with mine.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had one for a few months and I’d agree with the “dull but competent” comments.

As mentioned, it has roadie geometry so is a bit of a handful off road – but I found it heavy and uninspiring on road.

I sold it and got a winter road bike instead, as I’d also recently got a 29er HT and found that much more useful for mild off-road.

What you wanting to use it for?

houndlegs
    Free Member

^^^ I suppose thats the big question really. I want it to do all my CDF does, but a bit more sprightly really. Main uses in order;
    1. Commuter, 30 mile round trip, 3 days a week. So, want mudguards and rack mounts.
    2. Winter bike, but not so important, cos with the commute, I did’nt actually ride so much over the winter for fun.
    3. Summer pottering and bimbling. Towpath, fire road. Nothing technical, just a mix of tarmac and light offroad.
    4. Summer light touring. Weekends only, so not carrying a massive amount.

I suppose number 2 could be bumped to last and 3 and 4 could step up one.

In some ways, I know the CDF is good for what I want, but another part of me just fancies a change.

EDIT Fancied a London Road for a while, but after reading the big thread on here, it put me off.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Got my 16′ for £700 so I’m biased at that price.

It’s a good winter workhorse but let down by the PF30 if you ride in the rain. I’ll repack some new bearings and if it goes again within a year then an adapter…

Bombproof wheels is great especially if you’re heavy.

I popped some 32mm gators on and ride 60 miles in all conditions. In the dry you won’t have a prob with the BB.

It handles well, saved my neck on slippery stuff, the gears are awesome and I love the Rival brakes.

Not soft or too hard riding.

It’s a good all rounder and is fun on singletrack or road.

Buy one on sale, get some vouchers from a friend and British Cycling discount.

I will upgrade the wheels now I’ve dropped 30kgs.

Currently the bike weighs in around 10 something kg.

The rear 42T is Awesome.

butcher

Commuter, 30 mile round trip, 3 days a week. So, want mudguards and rack mounts.

Current model might be different, but mine has no mounts on the fork.

It would probably make a half decent tourer tbh. Been thinking about using mine for just that purpose, which is not what I bought it for – already have another bike suitable for that job!

parkesie
    Free Member

Current model has mounts for guards front and rear. Rack mounts rear only. I’m running guards and a rear rack.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Hoping to get to see one on weekend. Incidentally, the 20% off sales, that Halfords do, how often do they come around? That and my BC membership could sway it for me.

parkesie
    Free Member

10% seems like every other month 20% I’ve only seen a couple of times.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m a bit late to thread, but i have a 2014 model.
    Bought it with the intention to use it as a winter trainer for the road, and as such it hasn’t ventured off road much so can’t comment on its performance for that.

Paid ~£720 for it new, and for the money its doing a fine job – comfortable, takes guards (sks beavertails since no eyelets on fork), discs are nice for wet, and deals with the mud all over the roads round here in winter no bother.

The biggest issue that might be a problem if you are looking for something a bit more sprightly is the wheels weigh as much as a Hummer.

lazybike
    Free Member

Halfords usually have offers at the end of the month..payday weekends. If you register with them you’ll get the notification.

cakeandcheese

2016 model, Conti Sport Contact 37mm tyres, SKS P45s and a rack.

I like it. It’s not perfect, but considering they’re £700-900 depending on when you buy (or less on CTW) I struggle to fault it. This was taken on a tour around Brittany last year.

Oh, I can fault one bit – the saddle! Numb nuts!

houndlegs
    Free Member

Ooooooooo what about a shiny kinesis
    http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Crosslight/5T-DISC
    What do we think about those? I like it in orange.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Boardman cx team, anyone got one……’ is closed to new replies.