Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Boardman CX Team '16 anyone bought/ridden one? Any good? Is the headset centred?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Any good opinions/reviews?

Nice group set, OK wheels, really nice hydro brakes and good paintwork.

The only I didn’t like about the store display model is the head tube was slightly off centred from the way it was milled or cut.

This means the headset cups sit to one side instead of being centred. Leaves a metal lip to collect rain into the bearings.

I’m fond of Boardman, but I’ve never seen this poor QC on competitor brands. Is this a one off? Is your centred?

parkesie
    Free Member

Mines all good. Great value and great riding bike.

guystabler
    Free Member

I was thinking about one of these as they are great value. Are the mavic wheels ok for tubeless?

parkesie
    Free Member

They’re a mavic 317 rim ive not tried to tubeless them yet. Just keep riding the thing not tinkered or changed much beyond getting the fit right.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Current ’16 has Mavic XM 319 rims.

I thought this was the same for the ’14 model too.

parkesie
    Free Member

My bad it is 319 rims

butcher

Not totally sure what you mean, but the Boardman’s use filler around the head tube to hide the welds and maker it look more like carbon… Think they’ve had some QC issues around this area in general. That was the ’15 ones, anyway.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Basically what I saw was the headset was positioned towards the rear of the bike.

This could be the headset cups or the head tube being cut incorrectly.

I want to make sure this is a one off and not a mass problem.

Also would like to hear positive comments from owners.

tthew

I’ve successfully converted 319’s to tubless using a conversation kit.

Bearing in mind your problems with the previous bikes, you may spot and be unhappy with any Boardman that’s supplied to you. Not a dig, you’ll just be attuned to it now. Probably look at another brand. There were some ex display Orange CX bikes linked on a suggest me a bike thread yesterday that looked good value.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

To be fair their other Boardmans such as the carbon team road and the hybrids I peeked at; were perfect.

Even the customer advisor noticed it and thought the headset was put on wrong?

Other than the head tube, it is a nice bike.

Just wondered how people ‘got on’ with the 1×11.

parkesie
    Free Member

I’m getting on well with the 1×11 took a few rides to get used to the jumps between ratios. The brakes have been amazing riding in snow rain ice and dust clearances are good pannier rack goes straight on no need for clips or clamps.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thanks Parkesie

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Boardman CX Team '16 anyone bought/ridden one? Any good? Is the headset centred?’ is closed to new replies.