Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Boardman CX – New lighter CX wheels or cheaper Road wheelers?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My 2012/13 Boardman CX disc bike is ace, but the wheels are heavy.

Off road I am not too bothered but it would be nicer to have some lighter wheels for on road.

Can you get light cheap CX set ups ie less than £300, or am I better using the current wheels for CX and say spending £150 and some road specific wheels.

I guess what I am actually asking is, for less than £300 will there be much difference in weight/durability of road v CX wheel sets, should I just get a lighter CX wheelset ?

Ta

thomthumb
    Free Member

hopes with crests are a decent choice. £350ish.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Kinesis cx disc wheels seem pretty good value

bails

Superstar were doing cheapish wheels with Stans Iron Cross rims recently.

nre
    Free Member

…or just keep an eye out for a second hand bargain. 29er wheels will work on a CX bike (same diameter as 700c, just make sure rim is not too wide), I found 2 sub 1950g wheelsets each at £50 for my Boardman CX Comp, 500g lighter than the stock Mavic wheelset on the 2014 spec. OK not quite as light as you might go with a £350 budget, but a big step in the right direction for a lot less pennies…

jeffm
    Free Member

I have a Boardman CX and have swapped off the original wheels for a pair of Mavic CrossOne Disc 29er.
    They’re doing the job just fine, bearings are running super smooth and they’re noticeably lighter than the original wheels. Not that expensive either (£150 ish)

AlexSimon

Do you know the weight of the stock wheels?
    Mine didn’t come with wheels so I had to buy some anyway. In the end I came away thinking that I probably didn’t save much.

I cant remember the weight now, but they are Superstar Pacenti CL25 on Tesla hubs but not with the cxray spokes (D-Light I think).

nre
    Free Member

My stock CX Comp 2014 XM319 wheels without skewers but with rim tape were 2414g (1090g F / 1324g R)

Hefty!

cloudnine
    Free Member

I think the kinesis cx wheelseto is about 1500g

Jamie
    Free Member

I think the kinesis cx wheelseto is about 1500g

More or less.

Weight: Front: 689g. Rear: 866g.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So for the money £240 it doesnt look like you can beat the Kinesis wheelset.

Whats the minimum tyre width you can run? I have looked on the website and can not see ?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

We have designed these wheels to work perfectly with our ‘Crosslight Pro6‘ frameset

sorry, what?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Translation: We make nice CX frames too.. you should buy one to compliment the wheels.

D0NK

So for the money £240 it doesnt look like you can beat the Kinesis wheelset

que, who is doing em for 240?

How are they for tubeless? What’s max psi for road tyres? How durable/serviceable is the freehub?

cloudnine
    Free Member

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/kinesis-crosslight-cxdisc-wheels?gclid=CK_50bOmvb8CFcbJtAodQhkAJg

Heard the free hub bodys are a bit soft.. but that might be last years

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Kinesis have just confirmed the rim will take 25mm which is good!

Bloody useless forum people who cant answer questions….

crispycross
    Free Member

A quick word on durability – a well-built, lightweight set of ‘road’ wheels will be more than strong enough. E.g., I got a pair of DTSwiss RR1450s, (28h, 1450 g/pr), they did a couple of years on the road, couple of seasons of CX and the Three Peaks, twice, before I decided to replace the rear rim because it was a bit dinged and had worn brake tracks. Front is still fine 🙂
    (I weigh 70 kg and I’m none too gentle with bikes and bits.)

D0NK

oh yeah just remembered charlie has some CX wheels going cheap
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/stans-alpha-340-disc-rims-on-sram-x9-disc-hub-wheels-5152-p.asp
    Hubs are a bit of an unknown to me (same as kinesis really) but rims are what I was after (good for tubeless and can handle reasonably high psi)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Im torn between buying some chinese carbon disc road wheels and using a set of these as road wheels.. £240 is pretty damn good.
    Whats the weight on those wheels from charlie?? Seem to remember reading somewhere those 340 rims are a bit flexi

faustus

The chinese carbon disc road wheels have a pretty narrow internal width in comparison though, which is a downer.

D0NK

cloudnine

– Front 840g
    – Rear 1020g
    – Pair 1860g

18bikes have em too.
    IIRC Stans did a road wheelset with something like 24/28 spokes, I can believe they would be a bit flexy, but with 32spokes I can’t see it myself (speaking from no experience at all)

cloudnine
    Free Member

The other wheels i fancy are these.. (23mm wide rim 1400g wheelset), about £350 with postage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/wider-carbon-38mm-wheels-road-bikes-700c-clincher-/321325967380?pt=US_Wheels_Wheelsets&hash=item4ad0852814

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just pulled the trigger on the freeborn kinesis wheelset.. great price

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cloudnine – How are you finding the wheels?

Do they feel any lighter when riding the bike?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Boardman CX – New lighter CX wheels or cheaper Road wheelers?’ is closed to new replies.