Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Board Games for Gamers
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Any recommendations?

I have a son stuck upstairs playing online games 24/7 (or maybe it just feels like that). I’m sort of keen to drag him away from the screen and into something roughly approximating life :-).

Nothing too technical yet, just engaging so the whole family can get involved and then maybe we can move onto more demanding/involved stuff later.

So…no Monotony, Risk etc. Something a shoot em up weary 26 year old can relate to!

kelron
    Free Member

Are you using Risk as an example of something too boring or too complex? Hopefully the former.

Does your son have any interest in strategy games or are you trying to force your own interests on him?

slowjo
    Free Member

Boring :o)

No, he likes all sorts of stuff. Strategy games will work….

kelron
    Free Member

Fair enough.

Carcassonne, Catan are fun and easy to learn as a family game. Dominion is great but not quite as easy to pick up.

Coup is a fun bluffing game with quick rounds.

slowjo
    Free Member

Ta….I’ll have a look at those.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Have a look here https://boardgamegeek.com/

Loads of board games out there.

If you are in to Star Wars stuff there are a few different choices.

chvck
    Free Member

Plague inc is a pretty cool board game and is originally a good mobile game too. Not too difficult to pick up either (also has a solo mode which doesn’t seem overly common in board games)

slowoldman

Risk is brilliant.

Not a board game as such but how about Pass the Pigs?

bentandbroken

I think you need Cougar on this one, but my current Fav is Pandemic

It’s converted a couple of “I don’t like Boards Games” people who have visited us 🙂

greentricky
    Free Member

Carcassonne, Catan or ticket to ride

redsox
    Free Member

In the future, there is only war

Might be too steep a learning curve to hold interest, but it’s something you could both get involved with

Cougar

I think you need Cougar on this one, but my current Fav is Pandemic

Hiya. How old is he?

Good starting point here from last month.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-else-into-quality-board-games

Pandemic is very good, BTW – cooperative game, so you can guide him if needs be.

Catan, Carcassonne as others have said are great “gateway games.” I’ll add Ticket To Ride to the mix as a great family game.

marcgear
    Free Member

King of Tokyo

rene59
    Free Member

I have a son stuck upstairs playing online games 24/7 (or maybe it just feels like that). I’m sort of keen to drag him away from the screen and into something roughly approximating life :-).

[quote]So…no Monotony, Risk etc. Something a shoot em up weary 26 year old can relate to! [/quote]Wait, who is the 26 year old, you or your son?

KidCragg
    Free Member

Catan is a great place to start, camel cup for light hearted family fun, Splendor is worth a look and finally 7 wonders, more technical but great game that develops

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

x wing.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Ive played pandemic. Great game. Are there any other co-op board games?

ji
    Free Member

Get the legacy version of Pandemic -it’s ace, and feels more video game like as you play. Part of the campaign (the game narrative takes place over 12 months and between 12-24 games) involves changing the board, destroying game parts and new rules being introduced as the plot develops.

Can be really frustrating at times, and when something unexpected happens and you have to destroy a character you have been developing for some time….

Junkyard
    Free Member

who is the 26 year old, you or your son?

was also my thought

ahwiles
    Free Member

chrisdw – Member
    Ive played pandemic. Great game. Are there any other co-op board games?

About a million!

Current favourite is ‘forbidden desert’, no, ‘beyond Baker Street’, no, ‘castaway’, no, wait, ‘captain sonar’ – but that’s really 2 competing teams, rather than full co-op…

Get on board game geek.com, and get involved 🙂

slowjo
    Free Member

The 26 year old is my son……

Yeah, I’m getting on a bit now!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Get the box set then the game of Firefly?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Board Games for Gamers’ is closed to new replies.