Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • B&O 1970s turntable – would you bother with it?
  • the-muffin-man

My dad has one of these that hasn’t been used for 15+ years.

I know it starts up and works, but is the belt likely to have degraded. And what other issues could there be? Are parts still available?

I know the stylus’s can be very expensive, but this didn’t get that much hammer when were growing up so may be OK. Have aftermarket ones been developed?

It’s one of these – Beogram 1202…

Junkyard
    Free Member

LP technology has npt really moved on

My deck is about that age and nothing really to break

Belts – assuming elastic/rubber band type – are £3 for ebay or amazon

Stylus cost is the main issue – not sure what it would be on one of those or whether you can just get a separate needle

shermer75
    Free Member

Hell yes. Looks like a work of art! Beautiful, rare, and with a nice story behind it. What’s not to like? 🙂

the-muffin-man

What’s not to like?

The possibility it may cost a small fortune to get working optimally. I don’t want to be taking it to a B&O dealer and ending up with a £400 bill! 😀

My dad bought the whole B&O matching set-up in the 70s. Amb and tuner broke a long time ago though.

Just wondered if a modern low-end Project or Rega turntable may be better. Or if this would still hold it’s own.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Beautiful!
    desrves to be sparked up once again.

shermer75
    Free Member

As above belts are silly cheap. And if you don’t want to spend tons on a cartridge, then don’t. No one will notice the difference! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

In fact from your post it sounds like it may have one still already. I honestly think that £20-40 is fine for a cartridge, anything above that and you’re starting to get into ‘Monster Cables’ territory. Seriously, keep the deck, it’s really simple tech so there’s very little to go wrong and the newer ones don’t sound any better, and it’ll be a nice reminder of your family.

unovolo
    Free Member

Keep it these were made in a era when quality counted and hence one of the reasons why they have lasted so well and still sought after,
    these are going for circa £300 – 400 on ebay sometimes more.

Might be worth a read on here
    http://archivedforum.beoworld.org/forums/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

just “serviced” mine (took it apart and cleaned grime off), it’s 30 years old and still good, original belt in good order etc

gavinpearce
    Free Member

It’s worthless – send to me and I’ll sort t the recycling for you at no charge.

the-muffin-man

Time to prize it off my dad then!

M6TTF
    Free Member

my old man still has his BandO system from when i was a kid. fantastically made kit

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

do it up if it easy and cheap and sell it – in performance terms a rega will be a lot better I reckon.

slowoldman

I agree with TurnerGuy. Flog it and put the money to a modern one – A Rega or Planet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘B&O 1970s turntable – would you bother with it?’ is closed to new replies.