Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Bmx'ers = idiots?
  • nibby
    Free Member

Whats wrong with putting your foot behind the front wheel and forks to stop? or scraping your foot along the floor 😕

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tom_ Awesome vid of Dang Dang and Joe at another of Rubens mental spots :D.I NEED to go to malaga right now.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Roadies gonna hate.

timmys

Just doesn’t make any sense to me, riding round cities with no brakes and no helmets.

Eurgh, agreed. You are talking about fixie riding fakenger knobbers yeah?

thepodge
    Free Member

my u brakes are so rubbish that I might as well not have them. feet work just as well.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I still remember those eighties school holidays, BMX was everything! My parents were always trying to get me to where a helmet, especially after the night in hospital with my head smashed open, the blood stain down my street was there for years!

I’m a new parent with an eight month old boy and already worrying about him doing all the things I did. Currently I’m trying to convince my nephew that helmets are cool, certainly cooler than wheelchairs and colostomy bags anyway.

It’s been done to death, but I for one would like to see all the riders in magazines wearing helmets. Getting old? Probably, but to all the no helmet brigade, how would you feel if your child was doing 360’s off steps with no brakes or lid on? It’s all cool until it goes wrong!

scruff
    Free Member

I only used to wear a helmet when racing BMX’s, everything else, ramps, dirt & street was just a pair of jeans. Thats possibly why I’m now a bit thick and have no front teeth.

When you are young you are truly invincible :FACT:

kimbers

who cares as long as they dont shave their legs

DezB
    Free Member

Invincible
    Almost 10 years ago now 🙁

xiphon
    Free Member

Now for some riding WITH brakes 🙂 Rob Ridge…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaZMCdWLJ-M[/video]

TheBrick
    Free Member

my fav rider^

Bushwacked
    Free Member

BMX 😀

xiphon
    Free Member

Rob Ridge was my hero, about 12 years ago, when I last rode a BMX. Now I have one in the post 😀

Still got his video “Metalmorphosis” somewhere…

jedi

rob is amazing to watch. i ride with mark atkins and the tricks he still has is mind blowing 🙂

whytetrash

I run a BMX track and have a lot of hassle off some kids when I make them wear a lid…one of the worst offenders (forgetting to wear one for a lap) tried to manual a jump and looped out…landed on the back of his head…fully accepts he’d now be dead/seriously messed up and has become an advocate for their use

I ride the track and dont use the brake…unless somebody crashes in front of me…feet on the floor dont work trust me 😆

lots of mtbers start on hardtails but are getting the BMX bug…Jedi will be pleased to learn!

jedi

loads of us old boys are back on 20’s. its rad!

rocketman
    Free Member

You know your old when…

^^ this

rocket jr is a pretty competent BMXr has been doing it for 5 years. Plenty of laughs, plenty of scrapes but no worse than dressing up in special clothes and riding round the woods on a bicycle costing £1000s

scruff
    Free Member

Jedi, new concrete bowl just opened by me so I’m back on the 4 wheel plank.

jedi

the new park at hemel will be open in a couple of weeks. it will be of the radness scale!

jedi
    xiphon
    Free Member

We just had “The Arc Skatepark” open up here in Preston. Indoor park 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I was at the skatepark last night night with my boy riding his scooter (spit!). There was a young lad doing little hops over the spine ramp thingy on his BMX and I thought, “Hmm, can I do that on my MTB?”. Then I remembered that I’d just gone over the bars on the grass approaching the park, so realised “Nah!”

D0NK

I gave BMXing a go a few years ago when 2 mates got back into it. OK for them brushing up on their old skills, not so good for me complete beginner with kids half my age flying/spinning/somersaulting over me where I lay crashed and broken on the floor 🙂

Tempted to dust off the bmx (well grind off the rust) and try again but now the kids will be 1/3rd my age 😳

Oh and I will be wearing a lid as personal preference and brakes as a neccessity – what with there being other people around to (try not to) crash into.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Indoor concrete 🙂

Man! I want to ride again!!! 👿

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’m off for a quick ride. My BMX rides of late seem to be annual. I’m sure I’ll come back missing some blood for an embarrassingly stupid fall.

billysugger
    Free Member

If MRI scans didn’t cost money I’d say let em crack on but if they’re pushing the limits without a lid they’re as worthy of treatment as someone who gets hammered and thinks he can fly.

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t need to think about it, you don’t have to prep for it, you just get on your bike and go. Whether it be middle of the night or the middle of winter, you don’t need a good location, or have to go far, flat tarmac will do, if you want to ride, you just pick up your bike and go, no restrictions. Not having to prep with safety equipment or clothing, bike cleaning or gear fettling. It just adds to the lack of restrictions it has.

You mean like riding on the road? 😕

finbar
    Free Member

I’m guessing the OP had just watched a Sean Burns video.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91tde3iv8IQ[/video]

xiphon
    Free Member

That Sean Burns bloke has a screw loose – and he wears his sisters jeans.

DezB
    Free Member

Bonkers

TheBrick
    Free Member

billysugger – Member
    If MRI scans didn’t cost money I’d say let em crack on but if they’re pushing the limits without a lid they’re as worthy of treatment as someone who gets hammered and thinks he can fly.

If you’re going down that route of argument many sports injury is questionable.

wwaswas

s’alright, they can fly;

internetidiot
    Free Member

BMX is/was my first love. Ok, I only had a burner and couldnt afford a Haro Freestyler, but I was out everyday flinging myself about on it, and loved every second. AT 18 I was spending summer evenings on the quaterpipe while my friends got pissed/stoned, and I still think I had the better life.

I volunteer every year at Guildfords Rampage BMX and Skate competition and get urges to buy a bmx every time. Perhaps this year…..

And regarding helmets, it should be voluntary in my opinion.

jedi

bushwacked, come back to what you know makes sense. the tuesday old boys sessions!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jedi – Still off the bike 9 months on 🙁 recovering but its a slow process. Hoping to be back on it before Xmas. Buzzing to ride, especially get to the 20 rolling again. Gonna miss that tombstone though

jedi

when that day comes, we’ll be there again

Bushwacked
    Free Member

FACT! 🙂

debaser

ooh, while we’re getting excited about new bmx parks – that’s why this thread was started wasn’t it? – the new plans for the new Transgression Park in Edinburgh have been released…

[video]http://vimeo.com/25857405[/video]

Popped in for a sneaky peak and a chat at the new building a few weeks ago and it looks like it’s going to be very good indeed.

hurtduck
    Free Member

“They’re only going to hurt themselves.”

But then, what about the extra work and stress to paramedics, hospital staff etc if/when things do go wrong? Not to mention putting a strain of their families and those who have to care for them after any serious accidents.

Of course people, especially kids, should go out and have fun. But people need to take responsibility for their actions, and that includes considering the potential burden and cost to the emergency and health services. Surely taking certain reasonable precautions to try to prevent serious injury is not that difficult, and then can save others the hassle of dealing with any negative consequences.

Personally, I admire the skill involved in BMX riding, but I don’t admire those who think it’s ‘cool’ to have big scars or lots of broken bones. I just think they’re stupid really. Surely it’s far cooler to be successful at riding or skating without having smashed yourself up?

I know two people who suffered serious head injuries as kids, skateboarding. One is certainly affected permanently. Wearing helmets would definitely have helped prevent both from suffering serious injury, but I suppose looking ‘cool’ was more important than not wanting to end up with brain damage.

Yes you could be hit by a bus tomorrow. But surely it’s better to look after yourself today?

GW
    Free Member

dedaser – how many rooms/halls is the new building going to have?

North Berwick now has an indoor park too.

http://www.thespacenb.co.uk/

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Bmx'ers = idiots?’ is closed to new replies.