Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • BMX size for a 9 year old – 18" wheel?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

surprisingly not for xmas!

my boy wants to start going to the track (google ‘the track’ to have a look) again next year. hav’nt been for a couple of years and his 16″ wheel BMX (lovely SE Racing lil’ wildman) is now too small.

he’s an average height 9 year old, 10 in may, so planning to sell his existing bikes and go looking for a decent used bike.

but do i go 18″ wheel bmx or 20″ but a small adult frame (is there such a thing)?

use will be mucking about at the track and skateparks.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Deffo 18″ my lad is 9 year old, nearly 10, he’ll be alright on it till he’s 12, 13 I reckon.

timbur
    Free Member

Blimey, my coming up for 6 year old is on his 20” bike already. It’s big but he wouldn’t take no for an answer!
    The saddles on the top tube but he can still pedal and stop without toppling off.
    Tim

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Buying a kid a bike that is too big will only hinder is performance.

tommygunadam
    Free Member
    timbur
    Free Member

Tell that to my lad Shaggmiester!
    He’s had a LikeABike, a 12″ Hotrock, a 14” Raleigh Apple, a 16” Islabike and now he wants to ride the 20”.
    I would have loved to get an 18” to fill the gap but funds are tight at present.
    :O)

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Yeah I know what you mean timbur! They seem a lot more expensive for the 18’s, I guess it’s cos they’re not making them in high batch as like the 20’s. I struggled to get a second hand one and they seem to go for near to new price anyway! 😐

timbur
    Free Member

So very true.
    Not many 18” about and the ones that are worth looking at are blinking expensive.
    The 20” was a steal off eBay. Diamond Back with Suntour forks and gears for £7.91. Obviously that left a bit of pimping room so it’s been played with. Why don’t bike companies fit little road mechs to kids bikes rather than oversized long arm jobs that almost touch the ground? Always bothered me.

ianv
    Free Member

My son (9) has an 18 ” and I reckon he’s good for a couple of years yet.

Crell
    Free Member

The mini on the link will be too small for most 9 year olds.

Gav, if you fancy a Redline Flight, but not the price (£879 for a 2013!!); I’ve got my sons Flight Junior for sale which is just too small for him now. Weighs around 13lbs IIRC, most other decent kids race BMXs are 15 +. It’s a fantastic bit of kit.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers guys.

crell, fire me an email with a price out of curiosity but i think its really a dirt/park type bike he’s after not race.

antigee

not sure if all talking bmx here and then again bmx has its subdivisions

my small 10 yr old daughter is on an 18″ wheel We The People Arcade and looks right (24″ wheel MTB though)and has some cred – but its not a park bike (no rotor, great for pump track but not a full on racing bike)- when i looked only other 18″ i could find was a Mongoose and i think that come in two versions aimed track and park

edit 130cm

antigee

totally not needed proud dad pic (not racing yet but wants to) :

ianv
    Free Member

My son has a 18″ WTP arcade as well, its a pretty good all rounder and even works ok at the bmx track (obviously not as fast as a proper race bike though).

Fair ammount of choice here:
    http://www.crucialbmxshop.com/complete-bikes/bmx/18-inch-wheels.html

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Here’s my son aged 8 on his 20″ Robinson Jr. 18″ is too small.

Euro
    Free Member

For that age, I’d go proper 20″

ianv
    Free Member

I think it depends if you are talking about a race bmx or a dirt park one. If race then 20″ but the dirt park ones are a bit long to be ridden properly by small kids. It would be like making a 9 yr old ride a 26 inch mountain bike.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

No way is 18″ too small for a 9 year old!!! Unless he’s 6ft! 😆
    My lad has the 18″ wethepeople arcade too, we go to to loads of bmx parks and meet loads of young pros and they too have 18’s. the bike needs to be small and nimble underneath them so they can handle it better and learn new tricks etc.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

But yeah I suppose it does depend on weather for race or park, but I’d still rather get him something that’s small and light underneath him.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

He said it’s for the track. 20″ Jr is what he should be on.

ianv
    Free Member

He said it’s for the track. 20″ Jr is what he should be on.

He didnt say it was only to be used for racing though.

use will be mucking about at the track and skateparks.

but i think its really a dirt/park type bike he’s after not race.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I only read the first line.

scruff
    Free Member

Never mind that, why dont the top end Redlines come with Flight cranks?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Don’t know? But what I do know is my mate gets them in his shop and sells me them at cost.

And they are lurvely

messiah
    Free Member

For more skate park type BMXing I’ve just built up a Cult Juvi 16 for my 5 year old. Nice Alloy frame and components to suit little people, and very much lighter than the Mongoose Program 16 we bought for his big brother. At 7 the 16 Program is still good for the older boy for a bit yet but when he grows out of it I’ll probably be looking at the Cult Juvi 18. He can ride my 20″ wheeled FIT now but it’s huge and he looks stupid. For a bike they are happy to throw about a bit it does need to be small.

I’m very impressed with the Cult Juvi bikes (except for the saddles and seatpins which are junk but easy swapped for a pivotal).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘BMX size for a 9 year old – 18" wheel?’ is closed to new replies.