Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • BMX racing, Kids and for me…….8-0
  • Wookster

Any advice on BMX riding/ racing on the track? Found a good local club, really friendly, and all the kit ( except gloves) provided for both the kids 7 and 9 and me.

Fingers crossed the lads will like it, and stick with it, but it’s somthing I know nothing about? Is there a good forum or web site about?

Apparently, I can ride a cruiser BMX? 24″ wheels…..which look tiny compared to my Smuggler!! And Tips for a 6’3 first time BMXing dad!?! I’m hoping it will help my MTB skills, while actually getting to play with my two lads and bikes, I have no fear of looking daft if it means we get to muck about as a team really!

scaled
    Free Member

Have you got a GoPro?

Get a gopro 😀

Wookster

LoL for the £250 you’ve been frames Vids!?! 8) 😆

ianpv
    Free Member

It’s brilliant fun. My six year old boy has just started racing at Bristol, and he’s totally hooked. He won a race on wednesday night and wouldn’t shut up about it for days! Really friendly scene, the older kids help the little ones, lots of dads and mums race. The 9 year olds can be pretty good – don’t know if your kids may find it a bit demoralising, although my boy doesn’t seem to mind the fact that some of the kids he’s racing against are four!

I ‘train’ with him at the bristol and bath tracks but don’t race (yet) as he still needs help with gates. I bought a pro xl 20″ but wish I’d bought a cruiser as they’re easier to ride and a bit more forgiving. You’d need a pro xxl or bigger at your height. Everything happens very fast on 20″ wheels. Great pumping, jumping and manual practise – once you’ve been a few times your mountain bike will feel like an unstoppable tank. We go mountain biking together too which is great fun, but bmx is more fun to do with the kids as you can ride at your own level, you never get stuck miles from the car, and there are loads of other kids and families there too.

I’d recommend keeping your wheels on the ground for the first few laps 🙂

binners

Allow Harry the Spider to show you how its done…..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBKcAB84gzo[/video]

😀

Wookster

Cheers Binners…… 😳 😕

Stevet1
    Free Member

Is there a good forum or web site about?

Try http://bmxtalk.com/

There is a forum with a for sale section as well.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Have fun, try to avoid the involuntary tail whip to face plant, speaking from personal experience of getting too carried away too soon.

pickle
    Free Member

Cruisers are cool and great fun to ride, this is mine (could be up for sale soon as well) 😉

TheDoctor
    Free Member

It’s great fun and you’ll learn a bunch of useful skills for when you ride your mtb and cross bike!

Wookster

Thanks all……I Think! 😆

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Some great pics of @h.hollyyy racing at #gosportbmxclub at the weekend, courtesy of Barrie Webb #bmx #bmxrace #haro by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

My daughter and I race, it’s just as competitive at 47 as it was when I was 13!

Wookster

Nice pics mate!! Fingers crossed I’ll live to tell the tale!!!

phutphutend

ianpv where do you go in Bristol?

ianpv
    Free Member

Patchway on wednesday evenings for racing – http://www.bristolbmxclub.co.uk/ . Patchway is an open track though so we sometimes go at a weekend for a bit of practice (also Arnos vale a bit too – it’s a good little pump track for beginners like me). There is fairly regular gate practice at Bath BMX track at Odd down on saturday mornings, too. I’m in south bristol so the bath and bristol tracks are about the same distance. The bristol track is better, I think, but the bath sessions are good fun.

phutphutend

I used to ride up at Patchway when I had a job at Aztec West. It all ended in me getting overexcited and trying to clear a big double followed by a face plant to tarmac without a full face!

Perhaps I’ll take my kids up there one evening for some practice to see if they like it. They’re quite little, 7 and 5, but it’d be good fun.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

I used to race at Bristol BMX until I broke my arm in 3 places!
    I really loved racing with the older guys (over 30 class) as it was super fun and very competitive at the same time.
    It is a great club with very friendly people and some great BMX racers including a world number one!
    But all levels are catered for and I personally love seeing some new comers getting better each week!
    Bmx is a great sport for all ages and abilities and is super addictive!
    Good luck buddy.Go buy yourself a cruiser and you will not regret it

Wookster

Thanks fella, yeah there’s a “Rad Dads” section apparently!! LoL as for the cruiser….I may have done some window shopping….. 8)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘BMX racing, Kids and for me…….8-0’ is closed to new replies.