Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • BMX jumping- technique
  • mlbaker
    Free Member

Today at my local pump track I binned it very well! I find the jumps easy on my MTB but on my BMX they feel awful.

Anyone got any BMX jumping tips?

kayla1
    Free Member

Time on the bike and patience/practice?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Is your mtb rigid? If so the only difference is the size of the bike and steeper head angle makes a BMX more twitchy. IF your mtb is not rigid I wonder if your technique is not quite as smooth as you think?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Whe you make a mistake on an mtb (casing or over jumping) you dont notice. If you do the same on 20″ you get spanked.

mlbaker
    Free Member

I’m certainly willing to put more time in but progress is slow.

MTB is a hardtail.

And its the take off that I can’t get right, often going off on the piss, especially when I really try to pull up.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re pulling up too much and getting the timing wrong. Do you find you are ok if you don’t “go for it” and try and float / pump roll?

kudos100
    Free Member

Anyone got any BMX jumping tips?

Try practising your jumping on the bmx and take it to the mtb, rather than the other way round, if possible.

A bmx is unforgiving when learning to jump. Your movements and weight transfer have to be more precise. Also, as mentioned above, if you mess up the chances of riding it out are much less.

Oh and don’t bother with trying to pull up, concentrate of pushing with your feet.

mlbaker
    Free Member

Cheers Kudos100, I think I have a tendency to try too much with my upper body.

And yes I went wrong when trying to air, just rolling works ok but isn’t spectacular!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pump the transition, pull up hard if you want to go high. If you want to air small rollers then you probably will have to pull up since they don’t offer much of a take off. Are your bars centered in the stem?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Can you bunnyhop? Maybe practice hopping over something about a foot or two high. If you can do this and not land or take off skewiff, then you should be able to jump. Staying smooth and relaxed is important.

mlbaker
    Free Member

Bars are centred and bunny hopping is OK; a foot is probably towards the upper limit though. For these jumps pulling up is required for getting decent air but if I pull I pull up on the piss!

Euro
    Free Member

I pull I pull up on the piss!

Sounds like you need to work on your timing a little. Pulling up hard on it’s own wont work – it needs to be timed so you are starting to pull the bars as you are finishing the transition pump. Work on timing with a gentle pull until you get it, then pull like a mofo 😀

p.s. your pedals should be parallel with the transition as you take off

Macavity
    Free Member

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘BMX jumping- technique’ is closed to new replies.