Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BMX: Is this a good starter bike?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I am thinking about going to the local BMX tracks and parks for a bit of fun especially when the weather is a bit rubbish for MTB. I have a very old S&M BMX that I will use, it should be suitable but I will try to get a pic and some measurements off it. My brother wants to come along too and will need a bike as I don’t know much about actual BMXs I thought it would be best to buy new then risk it with a SH one. He wants to spend under £200 so is this suitable for his needs?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mongoose/subject-2011-bmx-bike-ec024432?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

It wont get loads of use but I’m sure it will be crashed quite a bit.

HansRey

i’ve always liked mongoose, but back when i was a 24seven whore, i wanted a bmx from them…

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/24sevenslayerbmxbike2011.aspx?&id=11288

HansRey

i’ve always liked mongoose, but back when i was a 24seven whore, i wanted a bmx from them…

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/24sevenslayerbmxbike2011.aspx?&id=11288

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Try to get a full Cro-mo frame and forks. Decent gearing and a bike that fits – while .5 inch difference in headtube doesn’t sound much – makes a hell of a difference.

I bought second hand about 2-3 years ago and it is still going strong. I bought a good frame with crap parts and gradually upgraded as I progressed.

If you are buying new I’d say look at around £300 – you’ll get a better bike.

Fit Eddie 1

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Personally, i’d go second hand or spend more money.

Is he a big lad? Starter bikes tend to be shortish in the top tube (20.5″ ish) and that will be a bit cramped on a race track if he’s much over 5’7″ ish (OK for street/park if you like it tight). Top tube length is much more noticeable on bmx’s than mtb’s and even 1/4″ makes a fair difference. Also Hi-ten steel will be pretty heavy compared to 4130 or Alu.
    1 piece cranks don’t take much bending either (12 stone and a heavy landing should see the end of them or the pedals if they’re plastic).

Should be able to pick up something a bit better/more suitable than that with a bit of searching, although that bike would get him started and is better than nothing.

Edit – if he could double his budget i’ve got something really nice for sale 😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

That Fit looks good if it’s the right size.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’d give Dave a call at RadBMXshop and see if he has anything that would suit your Bro. He’s very knowledgeable

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d get a 2nd hand one cos you’ll get something decent for £200. Also, if he’s tall then a 21″+ top tube length would be a good idea.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I have had a good look round and as £200 really is the maximum he can afford it looks like he will have to manage with a high tensile frame. Maybe when we both have a couple of skills under our belts and some dented tubes we might upgrade our frames but until then I think the Mongoose will do. I will try to get my S&M out tonight and get some measurements off it see how it compares to modern bikes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BMX: Is this a good starter bike?’ is closed to new replies.