Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bmx help…
  • goby

Hi,
    I’m posting on here for a bit advise, so dont shoot me down!

I have been riding my mates bmx for about a year now and now time to get my own as he want it back, i mostly ride bmx track eg rollers doubles and step ups with the odd bit of parks thrown in and what ever else i can find in crawley.
    Im just trying to look for a basic start out bmx, im a bit confused where to start, but as im a big chap (6ft 3) i figured i will need a longish top tube as the one i been used to had a short 20.5”and i had to rotate bars forward.
    So there it is any suggestion on what to look at and for and what to stay away from would be great, any good deals on at the moment?

Cheers

fervouredimage
    Free Member

What sort of budget?

goby

Well looking for about £300 tops.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tom83

I got a new old stock verde spectrum for £220 from winstanleys bmx. Absolute bargain for the spec. Looks like they’ve sold out, but a vex xl for 199 is cheap. I know that everyone says support your local shop which I do the rest of the time but sometimes deals are too good to miss!

Im the same height as you and ride a 20.8 top tube with a top load stem and find there’s enough room.

goby

Na tried 24″, didnt get on with it but thanks looking at the verde vex now!

pickle
    Free Member

I’d look for something with a 21″ top tube. I’m 6′ 2″ and that’s what i ride.

personally i wouldn’t go anywhere near w@nkstanlys or CRC for BMX. Try one of the many rider owned shops like

radbmxshop
    liferbmx
    sourcebmx
    bmx city

They only deal in BMX and their service is superb!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m near enough 6’3″ and have a Fly Pantera with a 21.4″ top tube. It’s ideal.

I thnik there’s a few companies producing frames with longer top tubes, Fit did and Inman frame, think Chris Doyle had a signature frame aswell. Have a look about. Wouldn’t go any less than 21″ though.

goby

Yeah been looking at the source site, sure looks a good place and love the idea of hiring the bowl! 🙂

goby

Ah thanks pickle for the tips, i like the united one, just under budget too! Will look about a bit more at the sites you suggested.

pickle
    Free Member

No probs, any of those shops i listed will give you great advice.

Look for sealed bearings where you can and if you can, a full chromo frame…..but as long as the main tubes are chromo then don’t get too worries with that.

If one of them is nearby then drop and and see them.

I forgot Customriders as well or Alans BMX

where abouts are you based?

pickle
    Free Member

That United/Etnies one is a bargain at that price! full chromo frame as well.

You’ll be pushed to find anything with that spec for the same price. nice matt black finish as well

goby

Ah i live in east sussex near tunbridge wells, so Source isnt to far to get to and have a nose about however there prices arent as good as some of those you listed.
    Yeah do like the matt black, its on the list of possibles!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Yeah, that United bike is a real bargain. I’d get that myself if I was after a new one.

Tom83

Never had a problem with winstanleys, used them for 2 bmx’s and loads of bits. I’m a Hastings local though so tend to pop into Source. The bowls pretty good but wouldn’t recommend it for beginners as its tight for space.

Then again with the Hastings skatepark 2 mins away we only use it on wet days.

Tom83

That United is a bargain that pickle listed.

goby

Hey guys, ok seen this too, this any good?

http://www.bmxcity.co.uk/pilgrim-pioneer-2012-green-p-1259.html?cPath=1_84

Cheers

Tom83

Good price that. Id be tempted to spend 20 quid more and get the vex xl though if it were me. Green looks nice though!

mboy
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack… Average height here, so no XL frames needed. Can get a steal of a price on most of the 2013 Diamondback range… At 33yrs old and only ever having BMXed as a kid, I feel a bit odd asking about it but hey! Forgetting any brand snobbery (the kids will laugh at me for being woefully crap on a bike, not cos I’m not riding the coolest bike) are the Diamondback bikes any good? Really like the look of the Forum, but the Icon looks pretty good spec wise too for even less money.

Oh, and seriously… Where to even get some fairly basic tips on park riding?

Tom83

I’m 30 mboy, and only started this year, so you’re not alone there! Never rode when I was younger and certainly don’t bounce as well as I would have 15 years ago.

I’d have zero problem riding a db bmx. What’s your budget?
    If you have a bmx shop near you rideuk bmx just released ‘the riding guide’ that the shops give out free.

Where abouts are you based?

goby

Lol ah I’m 37 so age doesn’t matter guys!

mboy
    Free Member

Budget not really the issue Tom83, not if I buy a 2013 DB anyway (I work in the trade, there’s still stock left at knock down prices), so if the Forum was worth the extra say over the Icon (Element is Purple, ergo a no go for me!) then I’d happily spend it, but if the Icon is good enough then I’ll keep the rest in my pocket.

Based in Worcester, ironically only about 1/2 a mile from a pretty good skate park that’s often full of kids on their BMX’s! Thing is, obviously I don’t wanna be going down there at any point unless I’m gonna be on my own really! Haha.

Oh and good to know I’m not the only one in my 30’s wanting to give BMX a go.

ryderredman
    Free Member

I, like goby, am debatably too tall to ride. Anyone found anything thats over the 21″ barrier??

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

41 here. Junior is getting a BMX for his Christmas. I can’t wait for a shot!
    I hanker after one, but wonder if at my age, never having had one as a kid, I’m setting myself up for a massive fail. People in the know are advising a 24 inch wheeled jump bike would be a better option.

Tom83

You’re never too tall to ride. I’m in a 20.8″ frame at just over 6ft3. Obviously your centre of balance is worse than the shorter riders, but I don’t feel disadvantaged when I ride. Other than creaky joints!

Mboy, the forum looks a good bike, full chromo and sealed bearings. How much can you pick it up for out of interest?

_tom_
    Free Member

If a 20 feels too small then I would heartily recommend the Sunday Model C. Its a 24 but feels very much like a 20 but just a bit bigger and more stable. For me its the ideal compromise, way better than a 26 in the park but not as sketchy feeling as a 20 which I just have no confidence on any more. And it doesn’t feel sluggish or hard to get off the ground like some other 24s can do.

mboy
    Free Member

Mboy, the forum looks a good bike, full chromo and sealed bearings. How much can you pick it up for out of interest?

Can’t say mate, work in the trade… But about 25% cheaper than I could pick up a new 2014 one. If you were inquiring cos you were interested in one for yourself, then my email is in my profile.

Tom83

Was just being nosey, I’m lucky that I’ve got a decent bmx that will always suit a better rider than myself!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bmx help…’ is closed to new replies.