Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • BMX for the taller folks?
  • thebrowndog
    Free Member

Sure this has been done before but once more for the dullards. Im 6’2″ and want a BMX. I found an online size chart thing that says I need a 23inch top tube, which seems about right, but really struggling to find anything within my £500 budget (which I know is pretty good for a BMX) Im thinking I need 24inch wheels too. Any suggestions?

tymbian
    Free Member

A 24inch wheeled bmx ( Cruiser) is a blast. Pump track killer..

Look at SE Racing, Redline, Kuwahara, Haro etc..

Try here

This was mine

dwhcampbell
    Free Member

I got a 24″ wheeled Haro for sale, PM me for details.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

DWH – not sure if you can PM here (cant see how) and no email in your profile. Email me if you have pix/details.

_tom_
    Free Member

If going 24 I’d recommend the sunday model c, best big bmx I have ridden. 22″ bmx get a lot of love from taller “proper” bmxers as well.

noltae
    Free Member

That Greg Hill is lush ….

dudeofdoom

Im in the same boat size wise ( just happen to have a track about 5 mins away 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

i too have a 24″ Haro cruiser BMX for sale should you be interested…

ayles1983
    Free Member

Decide if you want a bmx or cruiser…… Race bike or street,park etc bike…..where and or what will you be riding? I race bmx,6.1″ and have a xxl frame with a 22″tt. Some xxl frames come in at 21.5″ but don’t forget you can change the riding position with bars,stem,stack height,crank length etc.
    can’t help with street, park bmx as it’s not something I have ever been into.

Tom83

Im 6ft 4 and ride 20″ wheels, 21.25″ top tube frame. Don’t think you need bigger wheels as you’re tall. 9.25″ rise bars help too. Loads of room!

Euro
    Free Member

My suggestion would be, if you’re gonna get a bmx, do it right and get 20″ wheels. If you’re thinking of 24″ then stop doing that and get a mtb jump/park bike with normal wheels.

In my experience* the size of the bmx frame doesn’t matter one bit. I rode the same sized bike as everyone else and i’m 6’5″. It had a layback seatpost and my bars were a couple of degrees further forward than most and of course i looked ridiculous but that didn’t matter.

I may have missed the different sized bmx thing that’s happened recently so can’t really comment on how a very long bmx rides, but not so long ago i was offered a spin on a rather special prototype frame at the local indoor bike park. The guy was maybe 5’9 and frame was tailor made for him to test (i don’t believe it was particularly long) and it was bloody ace. So light and easy to throw about but more interestingly, it rode like my old ‘one size fits all’ bikes.

So i’d further suggest that getting a bmx is the important thing and the fit doesn’t really matter. The only difference i can see having longer/bigger bmx is that it you’ll look 5% less ridiculous on it 😀

* bmx cv
    i rode bmx vigorously from the age of twelve until my late twenties and more sedately for another eight years. During this period i undertook various cycling projects that included racing, street riding, dirt jumping and mini/half pipe as well as just riding about and doing skids.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Cheers all. Think I’ll head over to the local track and speak to the folks there and ask to ride a few different bikes.

goby

Im with Tom83, as im 6ft 3 and ride 20″ wheels, 21.25″ top tube frame too. It will be a blast! 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve got a 24 race cruiser and there’s no way the wheels are too big. It’s still mega fast steering and a completely different animal to a 26 mtb, so I’d disagree with euro’s comment. I’d go as far as saying that the 20inch wheels thing is a bit silly for anyone over 5’5″, and I raced 20 all the way through my teens.

scruff
    Free Member

Does Greg Hill still own GHP?

What happened to those posh bikes Bob Haro was going to make?

dwhcampbell
    Free Member

OP Email Sent.

dudeofdoom

This thread got me wanting a bmx as theres a jump park 5 mins away.

Funny thing is I had a Cannondale Hooligan sat in the spare room never really thought about it as a bmx 🙂

Well gave It a blast last weekend and I’m hooked…hours of fun just amazed at how hard it works the legs – after an hour I really noticed it.

Definately sharpens up the riding skills….first few times round like a wuss and worried by the highest hump and berms…. five circuits later happy bunny and having great time.

dudeofdoom

Im 6’2 and 46 and my new hobbies are riding round woods or hanging around Jump tracks in the early mornings- what can possibly go wrong 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m not far behind you on height and age doom, and my interests are exactly the same, you’re not the only potential weirdo lurking at your local jump spot. I got my first BMX a few months back at age 40 and am riding it far more than my mountain bikes now.

There’s Rush indoor skatepark 15 mins from my house, lots of concrete parks around and a new BMX track 5 mins from my work. I’m there pretty much every lunchtime at the moment and can now clear every tabletop, double and step-up on it. Its absolutely amazing fun, and only 50 minutes of sessioning a BMX track is a bl88dy good work out for both legs and lungs and has increased my fitness and strength on my MTB loads.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘BMX for the taller folks?’ is closed to new replies.