Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • BMX – curious
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

My little lad likes going to the local skate park, he either takes his bike or his scooter and to be honest I get a bit bored sat on the sidelines watching.

I fancy getting a BMX purely for messing about on the various parts of the park and while wandering round Halfords today I noticed this Mongoose Scan R120, from what I can figure out it’s good lots of good bits like an integrated headset, hollow 3-piece cranks, sealed hubs and the frame is Chromoly, with nice fat 2.3″ tyres.

With the added bonus of 10% BC discount it comes in at £239, is there any reason not to?

nickgti
    Free Member

Gum tree is often full of BMX’s for next to nothing

opusone
    Free Member

Have you considered a dirt jump / trials bike? Might be the slightly more “grown-up” option. Also to be had on the cheap 2nd hand.

(PS – I am looking forward to having kids for this specific reason)

wilko1999
    Free Member

If you like the colour Lime, and can stretch a bit further, this is a brilliant choice

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/73931/WeThePeople_Versus_2015_BMX_Bike

As for getting a BMX in general, just go for it, if you don’t like it, its not going to make you destitute. A good quality full bike for the price of an average joe MTB wheelset. For the record I got my first BMX 18 months ago as a 40th birthday present. I’ve used it every week since whether riding round with the kids or at the local BMX/ pump track, even go to Rush Indoor Skatepark quite a bit. Amazing fun!

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

Keep an eye on top tube length especially if you’re tall.
    I’ve ridden a few street bmxs that just felt too small and made them sketchy.

pickle
    Free Member

Steve, not sure how tall you are but that mongoose will probably be pretty small.

Have a look at some proper BMX shops and you’ll get much better bikes for your money

https://www.customriders.com/prodlist.asp?a=cat&parent=1010&cat=57&sort=1&pg=1

Halfords/CRC/Wankstanlys are not places to buy anything BMX related

pickle
    Free Member

As a rule, if you’re around 6′ tall then you need to be looking at a top tube of around 20.75 or 21″ long

pickle
    Free Member
    wilko1999
    Free Member

Sorry yep my mistake you’ve got to buy your BMX from the right sort of shop or its not a proper BMX 😀

Stevet1
    Free Member

Wankstanlys are not places to buy anything BMX related

Now I’m not Winstanleys biggest fan but I used to see Dylan Clayton in Winstanleys occasionally and it did used to be a decent source of BMX parts albeit a bit hit and miss on stock levels.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Now I’m not Winstanleys biggest fan but I used to see Dylan Clayton in Winstanleys occasionally and it did used to be a decent source of BMX parts albeit a bit hit and miss on stock levels.

Dr. Smooth? 😀

That all said, I’d still go to Custom Riders. Amos has been on the scene since the year dot.

goby

Do it im 40 this year and love it! 🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

Another 40+ BMXer here 😀

edit- you can pick up a decent BMX second hand for less than £100 if you’re prepared to scour bumtree or fleabay.

pickle
    Free Member

Wilko1999, It has nothing to do with it being a ‘proper BMX’ just that BMX shops know their product, they generally only sell BMX and therefore it is pretty hard to keep them going as it’s a niche market.

knowing an owner of one that isn’t now trading I understand just how hard it is to survive.

The likes of CRC and the pram shop selling everything cheaper doesn’t help, that’s all 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Other than it being from a ‘proper shop’ tell me why it’s actually a better bike than either the one I posted, a Mongoose Legion L100 with full Cro-mo frame, fork & bars or the WTP up there.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m 38 and picked up a wethepeople volta off gumtree for £130. It’s in bloody good nick considering it’s been ridden.

Harry_the_Spider

Yeah, how dare you even consider not being one of the cool kidz. 🙄

Got mine from of here for about £100 and am in the process of upgrading with bits from CRC and Tredz. Sorry.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Right then you lot. I’ve been busting to do this for ages. I found a bmx track whilst out running. My daughter would love it. There’s an Evans around the corner. I’m 5’9″ ( I didn’t realise there was a top tube issue). Which bmx before work tomorrow?

r1chardh
    Free Member

Quick heads-up about http://voltbmx.com/ in London – another proper shop, whether you need a whole bike or just some new grips. Good monthly deals too – maybe worth checking before you buy something.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member 

Yeah, how dare you even consider not being one of the cool kidz.

Got mine from of here for about £100 and am in the process of upgrading with bits from CRC and Tredz. Sorry.

How very dare you, Dickies pants & Etnines don’t them themselves you know

Harry_the_Spider

Forgot to add… I’m 47 and could give less of a #### than a Japanese hipster.

lankystreakofpee

I’ve struggled to find the time and inclination to ride for quite a while but my son has started to get into riding his bmx so I had a quick look at one for me.

After many hours of research I found a brand new 2013 Premium Duo for half price at Custom Riders. Convinced the wife it would be a good way of spending time with the kids too

lankystreakofpee

Stupid phone just cut off half my post!

lankystreakofpee

Long story short – half price 2013 model premium duo + piss pot helmet + 2 free tyres for £230 = bargain!

lankystreakofpee

Wilko, I’m local to Rush. Is it as scary as it looks? Was thinking of trying out one of their old git sessions…

wilko1999
    Free Member

lanky it’s not scary at all really. Just start on the smaller stuff/street section and build your confidence before progressing to the bowls etc. the old gits session is brilliant but really popular so it’s hard to get that many runs in and learn stuff. Better to go evening sessions in the week. I’ve not been for a while but if you get yourself a ride sorted PM me if you fancy a weekday evening session there, I’m itching to get back there.

edit: pickle I get all that I’m a long time skater and support skater-owned as my mate owns 50:50 in Bristol. I was just taking the p1ss a bit in a non-threatening kind of way 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Get yourself a slice of this action.

lankystreakofpee

Cheers Wilko I’ll have a look and let you know. Need to work on my fitness too in the meantime as I was out of breath after a lap of the pump track at Kingsway!!

toby1

I’ve got a bmx (for the track) and it’s great fun, do it!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    wilko1999
    Free Member

Ride there quite a bit too lanky

molgrips
    Free Member

How hard is it to get going in a skate park coming from a competent MTB background?

Those concrete ramps look like they’d hurt a lot more than dirt trails.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

Seggons
    Free Member

STW rush trip?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m learning that 180 bunny hops are more difficult than they look as are roll backs.

lankystreakofpee

Lol, tried hitting the curb and rolling back a few times on Sunday and stopped dead! Looks so easy on Youtube

thegman67

I am 48 and just started BMX two months ago. Every Tuesday we head to Zone 74 in East Kilbride for a few hours. The kids are cool about sharing the park with the old guys even had one ask me what my signature move was”staying on the bike” was my reply

kayla1
    Free Member

I can do a rollback and not much else. I am also rather good at being too scared to try anything that may end with me getting hurt 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s in bloody good nick considering it’s been ridden.

Previous owner probably bought it after watching some Youtube vids, then realised how bloody hard it it. 😀

The kids are cool about sharing the park with the old guys even had one ask me what my signature move was”staying on the bike” was my reply

😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My trick repertoire included, but not limited to:

180 hops, 360 hops, manuals, tabletops, wall rides, fufanus, x-ups, x-up to table, moto whips, foot plants, bar spin to knee jam, big volcano air to hang up, quarter air to fork bend, 180 vert wall to back wheel tweak, nose bonk to concussion……

All pulled with style and aplomb

Generally the worst rider at any skate park 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘BMX – curious’ is closed to new replies.