Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • BMX coaching at the Velodrome?
  • RustySpanner

Anyone tried it?

I’ve done a good few laps of Heywood BMX track recently but it’s all a sub 10mph wobble and I know it’s going to end in tears unless I get some proper advice.

The lass on the desk at the Velodrome recommended the BMX Starter session last time we were there.
    There’s also an ‘Accelerated Introduction’ session for ‘confident’ riders.

I have no ojection to wobbling around on the starter course with the 5 year olds – after watching them last time they seem to be far more confident and skilled than I am at the mo.

Anyone tried either?
    Anyone fancy trying either?

scaled
    Free Member

If i can hire a BMX i’m down with doing silly things on bikes.

‘Accelerated Introduction’ sounds like a recipe for disaster for me though

RustySpanner

Bike hire is £2.00 😀

Course prices are £6.00 for Yonners and £4.00 for resident Mancs.

Linky

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    buck53

Ooh, I could well be up for this if you can hire the bikes. Should be a laugh if there’s a bunch of us, at least.

binners

I’d be up for a bit of this too. What could possibly go wrong?

RustySpanner

What could possibly go wrong?

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve done it and it’s awesome fun. I think you’ll need to do the 2 hour beginners session first which takes you from very basic “ride round in circles so we can be sure you won’t fall off” through to learning the start gates depending on the group dynamic. At the end of the session they’ll either “progress” you and you can go onto the open sessions or recommend another beginners do. Either way it is really good fun. The open sessions can focus on specific skills.

Cost wise I think that the beginners is £7 including bike and protection hire. Choice of 20″ or 24″ BMX cruiser too. Do it!

Harry_the_Spider

I’d like a slice of that too.

ninkynonk
    Free Member

Pete,

that sounds worryingly like fun and disaster in the same sentence !

If you have a space or two spare any chance I can tag along?

cheers
    Mark

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ok i am also up for this

Given the crowd interested can we agree to do this post pub as it will be far funnier and I dont drink 😈

binners

Only if you take some Class A’s instead? 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

grum
    Free Member

I’m in (For the class As and booze obviously – not BMX, that’s for kids).

Seriously though would love a pop at this.

Junkyard
    Free Member

are you riding as well or just the drugs 😉
    EDIT:sneaky edit makes me look rubbish

To be fair it was a crossed post one rather than after the event

grum
    Free Member

What edit? 😀

MrOvershoot

ninkynonk – Member
    Pete,

that sounds worryingly like fun and disaster in the same sentence !

If you have a space or two spare any chance I can tag along?

cheers
    Mark
    Can’t see them letting you take the girls round in the Tag-Along or am I getting the wrong end of the paddle here 😉

Just see me on a BMX!

Normal bikes look like BMX’s when I’m on them

RustySpanner

Righty ho then!

Will be filling out my Velodrome BMX registration later and getting it e-mailed tonight. 🙂

Once that’s done I’ll have another look on here, get an idea of numbers, give em a bell and sort out a few potential dates.

Really looking forward to this. 😀

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Thanks for this tread. Just been on to them about getting my children in for a few sessions over the summer holidays 🙂

grum
    Free Member

I’ve sent my form back – anyone else? 🙂

grum
    Free Member

That’s a no then? 🙂

rhbrhb
    Free Member

If you can handle an mtb at say Llandegla Red/Black then the accelerated induction would be best bet for you.

I sometimes run that session, but on Outdoor duty at Platt Fields bmx track (also managed by the NCC) for the next few weeks – worth a go there too, it is an awesome track especially on a sunny Friday evening.

crazy-legs

First time I went on it, we went from the “ride along the tarmac bit and turn around and stop” phase to gate starts on the 5m ramp in about 25 minutes.

And no-one died. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

If you can handle an mtb at say Llandegla Red/Black then the accelerated induction would be best bet for you.

Cheers, will look into the accelerated induction.

Are there any rules on what brakes you have to have on your BMX – i.e. is rear or front only ok? Mine is currently brakeless. 🙂

rhbrhb
    Free Member

rear brake essential. no trick pegs, no sticky out axle from where pegs removed

grum
    Free Member

Ta.

clanton
    Free Member

This sounds like fun – might learn something too!

Anyone know if you can do similar in the South East?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can hire the BMX’s there as well

Why do you have a BMX…are you 12 or something 😉

rhbrhb
    Free Member

^ Mental age yes, n+1 applies to all disciplines tho 🙂

^^ should be somewhere, place called “cyclopark” is in kent I think? My knowledge of tracks south of B’ham is limited tho.

grum
    Free Member

Soooooooo……

buck53

Had forgotten all about this, still up for it though. What stage are we at? Are we getting registered separately then booking?

grum
    Free Member

I’ve registered. Rusty Spanner seemed to be volunteering to organise something…

Once that’s done I’ll have another look on here, get an idea of numbers, give em a bell and sort out a few potential dates.

🙂

RustySpanner

Oops, been a bit busy.

Sorry.

Anyone else registered yet?

buck53

Not yet, will get on it now though.

grum
    Free Member

Come on chaps!

ianv
    Free Member

The accelerated induction is just to really make sure you can ride a bike. A couple of tests, a go on the start gate and that’s about it.

If you go, make sure there is a free gate session afterwards, you can then ride for a further two hours at a reduced rate. You don’t need to ride a Bmx, I use my hardtail when I go. And, prepare to get crushed by a load of fast little kids if you do the gate session!

rhbrhb
    Free Member

I’m working the Accelerated Induction once again, was quiet last night but will most likely start to fill as the weather changes. If you come along be sure to say hello.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘BMX coaching at the Velodrome?’ is closed to new replies.