Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • BMX Brixton anyone?
  • spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I’m thinking on giving BMX a try, coincidentally I happen to have the Brixton BMX Club not far away, they have intro sessions for newbies, has anyone attended them?

Is the club still in business? I emailed them a few days ago and didn’t get a reply.

I believe this is a consequence of my midlife crisis, am I too old to start with BMX?

phunkmaster
    Free Member

They have an active Facebook page so imagine they are still going. Some great folks down there.Also, some of the best talent the country has to offer has come out of Peckham BMX just down the road. They are now at Burgess Park I believe. If you haven’t seen One Way Up it’s worth a look to see what they are about. Never too old for BMX. Look at the age classes at The Grands just gone. 50+ is stacked.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I’ll try to make it next weekend then, hope I’m not the only adult noob!

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Hopefully you’ll be pleasantly surprised. In my experience BMX clubs are welcoming, family friendly and have people from all ages and abilities.

brooess
    Free Member

I believe Brixton Beach is staying put even tho Brixton Cycles has had to move + the track in Brockwell Park is still in place AFAIK.
    I would give Brixton Cycles a call – they’ll know what’s going on with the club

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Are you sure they’re now in Burgess Park? Their website states Brockwell Park.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Burgess Park is where Peckham BMX are located now. If you have no joy with Brixton.

mark88

There was still a track in Brockwell Park in the summer, looks like you’re spoilt for choice round there.
    Let us know how you get on, I’ve been tempted to have a go for ages but never got round to it.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

@phunkmaster Sorry I misunderstood your post. Thanks for the info.

@mark88 Sure, I’ll keep this thread updated.

bigad40
    Free Member

Go straight to Peckham.
    You’ll be lucky to hear back from anyone at Brixton BMX club, that said they will make feel welcome at the training sessions. The track was due for a full refurb but I’m not sure how far it got.
    There’s a buzzing BMX race scene with tracks at Hayes, Weybridge, Gravesend, Mitcham and the list goes on.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

@bigad40 Thanks for the info, Mitcham is even closer, I’ll try to contact them and do an into session next WE.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If you’re still interested in Brixton I was passing today when they were clearing up. 11am meet at the track on both Saturday and Sunday. Beginners/non members welcome.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Hi Simon, thanks for the update.
    I got an answer from Merton BMX club, they only do saturday sessions.
    I don’t think I can make it this WE but will make if for sure the following (17/18), just in case any other STW newbie want’s to join me.

mark88

Hi Spaniard, do you have a BMX or can you borrow one at mitcham?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

BMX Rocks!

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Mark, I dont have one, they have some to rent, same goes for full face helmets.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Had my first session at Merton with Felipe today. I had a great time, will be back next saturday!
    Now I only need to start looking for a used bmx 🙂

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Are you looking for a used race bike? How tall are you? I have one for sale…

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I’m 1.84m, 6’03” I guess. can you send me more details? Email in profile.

HansRey

i rode at Brockwell Park this summer. Nice little track, though it does need fixing up.

What are the contact details for Merton? I wouldnt mind joining at a beginner level

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Their webpage is outdated, search for merton saints bmx in FB as they post everything there.

You only need to show up at 10:45 to get sorted, the session starts at 11. They can lend you bike, helmet and even pads. Only requirement is legs and arms fully covered.

I’ll be there this saturday too.

Brockwell’s track is going to be redone entirely in january, it should take a month or so.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘BMX Brixton anyone?’ is closed to new replies.