• This topic has 46 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bumpy.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • BMX – Am I Asking For Trouble?
  • rOcKeTdOg

bumpy
    Can anyone recommend a make or model I should try and keep an eye out for that I could pick up for £150 or so used?

Kayla1
    £300

😐

kayla1
    Free Member

D’oh! Didn’t read that bit 😆

chipsngravy
    Free Member

@ OP, I got back into BMX at 45, after a 10 year absence, when both my kids said they’d like to try it out. Hopefully sharing some of my own experience will help.

My aim was to find a versatile bike to ride skateparks, pump tracks and BMX tracks with my kids.

1st bike, a modern 24″ complete with scaled up 20″ bike geometry. Good fun at pump tracks and casual rolling around BMX tracks. But no fun at all in skateparks. Conclusion: ditch the 24″ and get a proper 20″ BMX.

2nd bike, went for a decent complete with modern geometry (a short backend). Initially found the bike good fun, but realised I missed the stability of longer back end (truth be said my older, slower brain and body couldn’t keep up the twitchy ride) and I needed the more room a longer top tube would give.

3rd bike; Bought a trails frame (21.5″ TT – 14″ CS) plus 9.25″ rise bars (great for the old back). So far the bike is is faultless. Great fun around skateparks, riding transitions, jump boxes, mellow trails, pump and BMX tracks. Nice and stable, longer back end makes manuals less likely to loop out.

I feel I’m in the autumn of my BMX life. So far it’s been the most enjoyable BMX/ bike riding chapter. Travelling to riding spots and riding as a family is amazing. Watching and helping my kids learn to ride BMX is so rewarding. It’s rejuvenating to ride solely for fun, none of the BS associated with modern day MTB or road riding. I will look back at this time in mine and my kids’ life with great fondness.

Ride for yourself, don’t be put off by younger riders pulling crazy game console style, mega tech tricks.
    Take baby steps in building up your skills and confidence.
    Get up early, skateparks are pretty much empty. No scooter kids = a more relaxed ride.
    Damp concrete = going down like a sack of ####
    Fellow older (and younger) riders are very welcoming.
    It’s all about fun.

Check out facebook.com/groups/RideOnBMX A group for older BMX riders

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing” George Bernard Shaw

Harry_the_Spider

I got a 21 1/2″ one from TINAS on here for about £100. With a bit of tidying up: tires for the indoor track, blue anodized bits and so on I’m in for about £150.

Its ace!

rOcKeTdOg

rd bike; Bought a trails frame (21.5″ TT – 14″ CS) plus 9.25″ rise bars (great for the old back).

Sounds perfect, what did you go for?

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Sounds perfect, what did you go for?

United TRU with Brian Foster bars.

bumpy
    Free Member

Been doing a bit of looking about for a BMX but there doesn’t seem to be much coming up second hand that’s anywhere close to me.

I was reading something on Mpora about the best BMX for <£350 and the United KL40 seemed to be fairly well rated.
    Are they any good?
    They seem to be available for a decent price for the 2015 model and possibly even on my cycle to work scheme 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘BMX – Am I Asking For Trouble?’ is closed to new replies.