Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • BMX Advice please
  • kobra2771
    Free Member

Whats the best BMX for halfpipes, jumps and stuff?

TheBrick
    Free Member

What to buy? or what area? or what skate park?

kobra2771
    Free Member

Apologies, to buy, im looking to buy, want to make sure i get the right bike for the job.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

one with 2 wheels, and the words dirt, jump or park in the title. Realisticaly the only difference will be the tyres, if you want the right tool for the job get 2 sets of rubber, if not just get slicks as you wont be on the dirt unless its bone dry anyway.

~£250 and upwards gets a good enough new bike, the same ammount 2nd hand gets soemthing a bit more special.

Go for cartrige bearing hubs with cassetts rather than screw on free wheels, 3 piece cranks and a full cro-mo frame and fork (no hi-ten rubbish). Deacent rims should be up there on the list of things to have too.

martinxyz
    Free Member

They have been fine over the past 30 years with freewheels so to rule them out in a first time bmx would maybe confuse a little.I use a white ind on the race bike.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

How tall are you? Frame sizes don't look like there is much difference but there is. I'm 6ft and ride a 21inch TT.

There is a big difference between a race and park bike – race are normally alu frames. Check out http://www.radbmxshop.co.uk – Dave, the guy who owns it will give you some sound advice and will point you in the right direction.

lyons
    Free Member

Yeah dave at rad is sound, he'll definitely help you choir the right thing… I buy preety much everything from there…

rOcKeTdOg

bushwacked 6ft? i', 6ft2 and always shyed away from BMX as i thought they'd feel
    like riding a kids bike, does the 21" TT over a 20-20.5" make all that much difference? i tried a 24" cruiser but it fell very heavy and i was better off with a 4X type frame

genuine Q btw, not a troll

samuri
    Free Member

I thnk the points above are valid ones. If you've not ridden a BMX before and you're reasonably tall, you've got a nasty shock coming. I'm only 5'11" but they feel like little clown bikes to me. I always felt like I was going to go over the bars or lean too far back and land on my arse.

Obviously this is all down to lack of skill but I felt much happier on a cruiser (24" wheels) and even happier on a small gimp (26" wheels). I found I could actually get air on the gimp.

A friend once lent me his BMX to go racing on instead of using my Gimp (we actually swapped bikes for the day), the waves of laughter that followed me round the BMX track as I desperately tried not to land on my face are an experience I'm not keen on repeating.

TheBrick
    Free Member

We the people do good completes.

I'm 6'2" and ride a 4 seasons I bought 2nd hand, I think it's 20.5" or 20.75" tt. I could do with a little extra length but I'm accustomed to riding a small bike as my previous BMX has a 19.5" TT. It fine really though as you get used to any bike once you've ridden it a bit. People / manufacturers over play the importance of small nuances.

Seb_C
    Free Member

Top tube does make quite a big difference in BMX land. I'm 5'10" and ride a 20.75.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

6'2 and I have a fly pantera with a 21.4" top tube which feels just right. Wide, 8" rise bars also help. Doesnt feel too small at all, feels more comfortable/less cramped than alot of 24" mtb's I've ridden. I could probably ride a bmx with 21" TT as my mates standard feels ok.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ride a country bikes park frame, 21.7 top tube and feel lovely (im 6ft with stubly legs and a long torso…..

But equaly kids down the park borrow it and are better than me in it so being 5ft is no barrier to riding a long bike well.

p.s. I'm thinking of selling for £180 ish to fund a cruiser.

_tom_
    Free Member

Mine's for sale if you're interested 🙂 20.5" tt though so may be a little small if you're tall, but it feels good for park/miniramp and street!

rOcKeTdOg

pics might tempt me TINAS 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

haha, usualy they put people off, it ain't a pretty creation and its hit a few ugly sticks/the ground a few times since then.

I'll take some tonight

spec:
    country bikes park frame (red)
    odesey forks (black)
    element cassette hubs, 14mm axels (ano blue)
    proper front rim (ano blue)
    alex rear rim (chromed)
    white front spokes, black rear.
    pr1mopro stem (black)
    odesey headset (steel)
    demolition seatclamp (ano blue) and saddle (blue/black/gray)
    shadow conspiracy chainring (27-13 gearing IRC)
    primo pedals
    choice of nobbly/slick tyres (the rear will only fit slicks though)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘BMX Advice please’ is closed to new replies.