Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • BMX.
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve decided that I’m going to get myself a BMX whilst the sales are on. I’ve been debating the idea in my head for years but have always decided not to because:

a) I’m too old – 30 now
    b) not ridden a BMX since I was 6 and will therefore be rubbish
    c) am 6’3 tall

That combination of things doesn’t make a confident BMXing individual but this time I thought sod it, just get one and ride it off some kerbs. Anyone else taken the plunge with BMX who wasn’t a super rad 15 year old with skinny fit jeans?

PiknMix
    Free Member

6″2 over 30 and up until 2 years ago still rode BMX, I gave it away to a much needier kid or I would be still riding it.

BMX’s are small and fun, you are expected to fall off occasionally.

binners

I’d go for a 24″ inch. If you want to live. I got one of these…

It was bloody great fun! In an absolutely nackering manner. Used for just blatting about locally. Oh… everyone will think you’re mental!

therealhoops
    Free Member

a) I’m 37
    b) got my first BMX at 36
    c) I’m 6’2″

I take TRH jnr to skool on the back pegs and then continue onto work. All the kids in the playground think I’m kool 8)

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Tis nice that Binners. Do you find the 24″ good for doing more urban based stuff? I’m thinking of some of the fun looking stairs, walls etc that are nearby as well as my local BMX track.

rocketman
    Free Member

Personally I found rocket jr’s 20.75″ tt Subrosa impossible to pedal my legs simply don’t come up that high when my upper body is leaning forward that much (6’2″)

If you can imagine standing on a roller blade with handlebars, that’s how it felt.

binners

fervouredimage – That’s exactly what it would be ideal for. mine was used for blasting about locally, then the odd trip to the track.

I found it great to have a bike you could just jump on and head out for a spin on, just for a bit of fun. Rather than fannying about getting all your gear on first

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Personally I found rocket jr’s 20.75″ tt Subrosa impossible to pedal my legs simply don’t come up that high when my upper body is leaning forward that much (6’2″)

If you can imagine standing on a roller blade with handlebars, that’s how it felt.

That’s my main concern really. Don’t know whether to opt for a rigid DJ mountain bike instead?

donks
    Free Member

39 and still prating around at the skateparks. Not much better than I was a year or two ago but I have a laugh and after a while the yoofs stop taking the piss and I actually have a bit of a laugh with them. I dont try the mental stuff (tail whips and hops to grind stair rails) but 180’s, manuals and small aerials on the half pipe are pretty easy to get down.
    Im quite surprised how many blokes in their mid to late 30’s I bump into…many like me started off taking their kids to the skate park and then thought sod it i’m getting one of these.

Nowt wrong with skinny fit jeans though 😉

Linky to old fart on bmx

rocketman
    Free Member

That’s my main concern really. Don’t know whether to opt for a rigid DJ mountain bike instead?

Have been down that road as well with a GT Chucker a Commencal Absolut and now an NS Metropolis.

Much better than a stupid bmx 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

My 40th Birthday present to myself, and where I take it some lunchtimes.

For a street/park BMX at 6’2″ you need one with a long top tube.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with skinny fit jeans though

Can’t disagree with that. Not sure whether combining them with a BMX will do me any favours though.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

For a street/park BMX at 6’2″ you need one with a long top tube

Would that be 21″ then or are there bigger TT lengths?

kudos100
    Free Member

You will need something with a 21″ top tube as a minimum. Then slap on a long stem 50mm+ and tall and wide bars, 8.5″ rise.

I loved my bmx, but as I have a slightly dodgy lower back every time I’d case a jump my back would complain.

I’ve sold it to a mate, so I can ride it every so often. 🙂

donks
    Free Member

I got a 21″ WTP trust and its fine for me @ 6 foot. I think you can get 21.5 but I’m not sure. You can get high bars 9 or 10″ rise which will help a lot to stop you stooping.
    There’s a lad that comes to the S/Park who’s got to be 6.4 and he’s quality on his BMX which is 21″ TT.

Have you got a park locally? or are you thinking about track racing?

xiphon
    Free Member

I ride a Redline Flight XXL (21.75″ TT), but it’s a race bike – wouldn’t last 2 minutes at a park. I’m 5’10”

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Have you got a park locally? or are you thinking about track racing?

I’m not going to do track racing mainly because Downhill fills the racing void. Really I just want to enjoy learning to jump more efficiently, maybe even (dare I say it) throw some style in there with it too. And eventually progress to do some more urban based stuff. I drive past all these stair cases and walls etc and I just wish I had both a bike and skill set to enable me to enjoy trying to do something with them.

Also, I daily watch a BMX vid on the web and feel inspired to try it. It’s a real art and I know I’d regret it if I never gave it a go.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

There’s plenty of MTB’ers visit the Manchester indoor bmx to practice jumping etc. The 3rd and 4th straights are better suited to 20 or 24 wheels tho.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Yeah deffo get one, you’ll soon get addicted especially as you start learning new tricks! 8)

timmys

I might as well jump into this thread. I’m soon to be moving to a new house a couple of minutes away from a BMX track (Royston, Herts). It would be nice to have a bike that I can mess about with on said track. Not racing but something I can have a bit of fun with, get a bit of a workout, practice pumping, manualling etc.

The ONE (shock horror!) bike I own is totally unsuitable (Zesty), so am looking for something else. Again I’m pretty tall (6’2″) so a bit dubious about 20″ wheels. Is 24″ the way forward or is there even something 26″ that would be suitable? If I went 26″, I wonder if there’s something that I might also be to use for a bit of 4X action at Chicksands or would that be out of the question?

_tom_
    Free Member

Go for it! Don’t bother with 24″ though it feels wrong. Have to say I’m interested in 22″ as it seems to be picking up some steam now with S&M starting to pick up the idea.

Apparently they’re a good balance between 20 and 24 for stability without feeling clumsy or looking odd.

Oh and Chris Doyle is 6’3″ on a bmx, doesn’t seem to stop him!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I rode bmx pretty exclusively for 2-3 years a while (when I was a spritely 35) back.Mainly trails or parks that flowed like trails (most of which are gone now).Ended up getting a custom standard bykes 250trl made as I’m 6’3″ and there was nothing but race bikes available at the time.
    I assumed I’d keep it forever but I’m seriously thinking of selling it now (just to make some space!)
    Standard 250trl custom geo 21.5tt,14.25cs
    Oddessey Director forks
    WTP Mad Max (8.75 bars),oddessey elementary stem
    G-sport marmoset/ratchet hubs on sun envy rims
    Pigmy cranks,kink sprocket,shadow half link.
    Pivotal seat,fly brake,nokon etc.
    I dread to think how much it cost new (frame was £450!)
    If anyone is interested give me a shout and I’ll find some photos and have a think about a price (>£200 but <£400……ish).
    Edit.
    Or I might go to the skate park tomorrow

mamadirt
    Free Member

Binners – that is lovely 😛

Don’t know whether to opt for a rigid DJ mountain bike instead?

Hey, who says you can’t have both? I tried, I really did, to convince myself that BMX and old bones are a bad mix. Sold my little FBM and thought I’d finally grown up 🙄 . Lasted 3 weeks 😳 😛

xiphon
    Free Member

timmys – give Jedi a shout – he’s from Herts direction and rides 20″ too….

Archibald
    Free Member

I rode bmx pretty exclusively for 2-3 years a while (when I was a spritely 35) back.Mainly trails or parks that flowed like trails (most of which are gone now).Ended up getting a custom standard bykes 250trl made as I’m 6’3″ and there was nothing but race bikes available at the time.
    I assumed I’d keep it forever but I’m seriously thinking of selling it now (just to make some space!)
    Standard 250trl custom geo 21.5tt,14.25cs
    Oddessey Director forks
    WTP Mad Max (8.75 bars),oddessey elementary stem
    G-sport marmoset/ratchet hubs on sun envy rims
    Pigmy cranks,kink sprocket,shadow half link.
    Pivotal seat,fly brake,nokon etc.
    I dread to think how much it cost new (frame was £450!)
    If anyone is interested give me a shout and I’ll find some photos and have a think about a price (>£200 but <£400……ish).
    Edit.
    Or I might go to the skate park tomorrow

Damm if only the tt was 21″ I’d have that off you as its exactly the sort of build I am looking for..

I presume you ordered straight the frame from standard, did they sort out the import stuff? Thinking of getting a frame from them Infact your bike might be a good donor

scruff
    Free Member

If we had a decent track locally I’d get a 24inch tomorrow. There is an utterly superb DJ spot right by my house where I could manage the first 4 sets then it gets daft.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

[/url]
    brew1 by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img]

42 and still occasionally ride. New park open in Poole now so planning on going there this week to knock the rust off as it’s been a while.
    5’10 and ride a Pro XL 21.25TT Brew steel race bike.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Ok, so I stopped off at my local BMX track today. Was surprised to see just how much effort has been put into. Looks great and I’m just itching to go ride it. So now I’m considering a race orientated bike to do BMX tracks on. I doubt I’ll start racing but would be great to enjoy that flowy feeling you get when you’ve nailed a lap and hit all the downslopes.

I’ve found a very cheap 2011 haro team issue race bike. New unused old stock. Has a 21″ TT. 300 quid less than original retail price. Sound the right sort of thing for a bit of track action for a 6 footer?

99percentchimp
    Free Member

@roschach… will be interested (tired of sitting around at the track for few hours while the boys have a blast) Have PM’d you for photos and a chat… Ta!

xiphon
    Free Member

fervouredimage Sounds about right, although you might want even slightly longer.

If you’re ever in Lancashire (Preston) you’re welcome to have a spin around the London Road BMX track on mine (21.75″ TT) 🙂

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Cheers xiphon. I was looking at redline bikes. They are bloody expensive, but very pretty. I think I may just take a punt on this Haro. It’s their mid range race bike which will be fine for me I think. I guess changing bars and stem will open the cockpit out a bit if I find it a bit cramped.

This could be the best or worst buying decision I have ever made. Time will tell.

xiphon
    Free Member

See if you can source second hand – I got my frame + forks (Redline Flight XXL 2010) for under £100…. strong race cranks/BB for £30…. spds for £20….

There’s a few frames for sale over at BMXTalk.com forum.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘BMX.’ is closed to new replies.