Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • BMWtrackworld – steering wheel klunk…
  • Kryton57

Whilst we’re at it…

More prevelant when cold, turning the wheel either way presents a “klunk” at about quarter of a turn. I can’t be very sure but the steering in general may be a tad heavier than it used to be.

Seems to be less prevelant after the cars warmed up.

Having has a steering rack (on a different car) fail whilst on a major junction many years ago I’d like some reassurenace if possible…?

Any ideas?

trail_rat
    Free Member

any whining as the wheel is turned ?

suffered this in my girlfriends golf which had a seal dump all its oil out and it was a week of her driving before i checked the fluids again = new rack

quicker you check it out the cheaper it may be – first call check the fluid levels.

on the otherhand check around the bushes and bearings in the front end for any play. My van gave a clunk in steering and going over bumps – was the ARB link.

could also be ball joints.

All would be preferable to a rack – from experiance youll be looking at a 4 figure sum to stick a rack in 🙁 – didnt fancy doing it my self as space was tight in the golf.

Kryton57

If its a 4 figure sum it’d write it off – its a 10yo 3 series worth 3k.

No whining.

The bushes / bearings were replaced about 500 miles / 6 months ago although I couldnt tell you which one’s without getting the paperwork out, so it’d better not be that.

I’ll check the fluids tomorrow, then Garage / check maybe then.

:-/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘BMWtrackworld – steering wheel klunk…’ is closed to new replies.