• This topic has 47 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • BMW X3 – Any good as a everyday car?
  • takisawa2

My brother got stuck recently. His Kia Sportage (4×4) couldnt pull his caravan off a muddy campsite. Along comes chap in an Audi A6…& pulled it out no problem.
    Oh how I chuckled.
    We use a Mondeo to tow. Dirt cheap, & if it gets REALLY stuck there's always someone with a 4×4 that wants to willy-wave & pull it out for us.

sofatester
    Free Member

Just ask your wife. She is the one who really decides what you do with your money/life/soul/willy…

iainc

used to have a Scenic, and neighbour has an X3 – the Scenic was much more practical – bigger inside, comfier, cheaper to run. unfortunately the scenic fell to bits after 5 yrs and the neighbours X3 is still going strong at similar age.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Getting a 4×4 because they are better in the snow is just stupid !

Yes you will get stuck less often (if you cant drive a normal car properly) but their in lies the problem. You see 4×4 drivers hurtling around in the snow, justifying their expensive heaps of junk.

The fact is a big 4×4 is generally more dangerous in snow with the average driver. They get in to some false sense of security that because the car will drive up hills better than a normal car, and generaly has more grip setting off that some how this means they stop just as well! They dont they will take longer to stop!

IMO the best cars in snow or small front wheel drived skinny tyred cars. They have little power (so doesnt induce wheel spin) and the skinny tyres cut through the snow.

If you want fun get a rwd!

oddjob
    Free Member

How often does it snow?
    Can you really justify driving around in a 4×4 for all but a couple of days every other year?
    It's sort of like buying a full sus mountain bike to ride on the road all the time except for one ride per year when you might have to head off along a canal tow-path.

sofatester
    Free Member

It's sort of like buying a full sus mountain bike to ride on the road all the time except for one ride per year when you might have to head off along a canal tow-path.

I would hide if i was you! 😆

oddjob
    Free Member

I'll get behind the sofa!

I am surprised that nobody has commented on the fact that there is rarely any snow in the UK and that buying a car specifically to deal with it is somewhat silly becuase the rest of the time you are compromised in other areas. I'd rather deal with the compromise when the snow comes for a couple of days every other year. The whole country grinds to a standstill anyway when it happens

IGMC

nonk
    Free Member

the overwhelming poularity of the BMW x 3and5 has made me realise that i am not as stupid relative to the rest of the population as i had at first thought.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘BMW X3 – Any good as a everyday car?’ is closed to new replies.