Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • BMW – Snow – Yes its's another tyre question
  • Marge
    Free Member

for info:
    Nordic region do not use the same winter tires as Continental Europe….
    They have studded & non-studded (called ‘friction’) tire types with compounds designed to work in even colder temperatures.

They perform less well on cold wet asphalt but if driving on a fully snow/ice covered road they are surprisingly good.

In response to OP: I also drive BMW & the difference with winter tires is huge when the conditions get bad. Mostly though you will probably not realise unless you drive back-to-back another car with summer tires.
    When snow is forecast I also sling some bags of sand in the back (50kg). Again without making back-to-back test its not crystal clear difference but I feel that it helps…

Marge
    Free Member

psling
    Free Member

Hey trail rat, you’re a 4×4 man… I remember getting out with a spanner on the drum snail to lock a wheel when getting cross-axled or losing traction at one wheel on the old Series Land Rovers! 😯

Maxtorque, another useful skill is to left-foot cadence brake as a diy limited slip diff.

A lot of driving is instinctive based on how we drive 99% of the time; when the road is slippery it can be difficult to trust engine braking, to not drop the clutch when braking… these things are unintuitive. And it can be intimidating trying to concentrate on the road ahead with an ‘expert’ tailgating you in snow as you proceed with extra care!

There’s no doubt that winter snowflake tyres are better than normal tyres in cold/snow conditions but for a lot of people in GB they’re not really essential on a cost/need basis IMO. However, if you can meet the cost or really have the need, invest in them. They’ll be worth it but remember, they’re not magic!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve experienced how good studded tyres are on ice and compacted snow as a passenger in a Renault Espace taxi in the three valley’s with a lunatic French taxi driver at the helm. He decided he didn’t want to take the main road up the mountain and took us up a series of twisty minor roads at speed. I was seriously starting to fear for my life but the car didn’t put a foot wrong.

Also in Moscow on a motorway covered in compacted snow honing along at 70/80mph. Again very scary due to the ridiculous driving, but the car seemed to have enough grip to drive at those speeds, it was chaining lane with no drama, slowing down to turn off at junctions, he seemed to be able to drive normally – though I’m glad an emergency stop or evasive manoeuvres weren’t required at any time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maybe im biased in that i seem to get a month or so of snow at least in north east scotland

Its worth doing 32 mpg on the few mile i do when not snowing to be able to drive to work on the back roads instead of it taking 4/5 hours to get in to office. – and being a horrorfest just getting to a ploughed road

tinybits
    Free Member

Why the 32mpg trailrat? Is that a the or vehicle thing?

I put winter tyres in for the first time last year (fwd golf diesel) and in my normal commute across the top of the Mendips and down the cheddar gorge, they made a huge differance in the snow, hard frosts and wet. I was driving past stuck vehicles without any bother at all.

However, the biggest jam I found was in Bath, due to all the. Numpties who couldn’t get through 1/2 inch of snow. Sadly winter tyres don’t give you an ability to drive over the cars in front monster truck style!

wwaswas

to not drop the clutch when braking

who drops the clutch when braking?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its the vehicle.

br
    Free Member

It’s also compulsory over here in Germany to have winter tyres.

They are only mandatory if it’s ‘wintery’…, and how you define ‘wintery’ I’ve no idea but I guess it could be anytime of year – 40 euro fine.

(4) – Germany introduced regulations in 2010 requiring all passenger cars and motorbikes including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintry. Winter tyres (or ‘all season’ tyres) should bear the mark M+S* or the snowflake symbol on the side wall.

molgrips
    Free Member

Winter tyres are far better in snow, in the same way that trailrakers are far better in mud than small block 8s. Tools for jobs.

You may be able to get by with a shovel and carpet, but why faff around when you could just be driving away?

Yes major roads get blocked with people on summer tyres, but the nice thing about winters is that you can detour on the minor roads.

And 4WD is not a substitute for the right rubber. It helps you get moving but does not help braking or cornering.

Those arguing against winter tyres have never used them, I’m sure.

Euro
    Free Member

If you’re riding a decent bike you’ve summer and winter tyres on that so why not same for the car.

High Rollers all year round here and i’d say my bikes are decent.

I’ve no experience of winter tyres but i’m guessing you need to spend decent money for a decent tyre? I’ve a spare set of alloys in the shed that i’d convert if i could do it cheaply.

molgrips
    Free Member

Euro, if you already have spare wheels you are laughing. The outlay is the same as normal tyres (£90 each for my Passat) and once they are fitted to your spares you don’t have to pay for them to be fitted.

Doesn’t cost a penny in the long run because your summers last much longer of course, so it evens out.

mmannerr

Tip: don’t put massive weight in the boot of RWD car. Yes it will help to get car moving but it will be nasty in the corners and makes correcting slides much more difficult.

Been driving 20 years in Scandinavian winters and would choose FWD/RWD with winter tyres over 4WD with summer tyres always for the winter season. 4wd is nice to drive but they are really a minority here, even compared to number of Beamers and Mercs on the road.
    Dads A Omega was quite fun to drive on ice, getting fairly impressive slides even on the modest speeds.

mightymule
    Free Member

OK. The OH and I are in agreement, and are currently looking for a set of steelies to have the aforementioned winter tyres fitted to.

Just one question,

Do you think this might be a tad too much?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A danish friend had winter tyres on her z4 when I was last over, it still steps out on roundabouts but was a lot better, they had 5x the snow the UK had and the UK was in shutdown that week 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

It’s compulsory to have them from November to march in austria
    If you have a crash and kill someone without winter tyres at that time you will be tried for murder.

michaelbowden

Back in June I bought an overly powerful german RWD car. One of the first things i did was to buy
    4 secondhand alloy’s from eBay – £200
    4 part worn (5-6mm tread) Dunlop winter runflats £100 (I got a mega bargain but it was June)
    Fitted at a local tyre place £40

So for £340 (less than the retail cost of one of my rear summer tyres) I’m in a much safer place than I would have been. I’ll also add weight to the boot.

I estimate I’ll get two winters from the part worns, when they need replacing I’ll buy another set in the summer months.

I fitted them this weekend.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got a sensible ford, rather than a daft beemer.
    Winter tyres on my spare steel wheels went on this weekend in prperation for the first cold snap.
    Thing is with British weather is its usually just cold and wet in the winter, with occasional snow and ice, and that’s where the tyres perform bloody brilliantly.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My take…
    A 2wd car with (newish) Winter/Snow(M+S) tyres is as good as a 4wd with normal tyres.

Having driven my brothers ’09 range rover (on normal road tyres, but not rubber bands) I have to disagree with this somewhat – that said, the RR is a very clever car and can handle a lot more than you think if you switch on the correct function.
    I drive an XC90 with winter tyres fitted all the time.

neninja
    Free Member

Finally put the winter tyres on today – come on snow!

I don’t drive hard enough on the road to notice the difference in the dry. The snow tyres are marginally noisier but there is not a lot in it.

The rear Summer tyres were down 3mm so due to get replaced soon – swapping back to winters will give me some time before having to shell out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sharkbait- all the gadgets in the world still wont stop nearly 2 tonnes in a hurry – infact they may even extend braking distances when they sense slipping.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

320d owner here.

Big fan of winter tyres.

When it’s warm the winters are a bit more vague than the summers (stuck ’em on early this year as the summers were worn out), but once the temperature drops below about 7°C the winters are much better from cold – quieter and grippier (living in Sheffield, there’s some truly shocking tarmac – with the summers on and the car cold, there’s tarmac at the top of the hill that will have the traction control going off every time I drive over it. Winter’s – no problem). To be honest I don’t think of them as “snow” tyres as such, just cold weather.

I still won’t get anywhere in deep snow (a front bumper that’s well less than 6″ off the deck won’t help!) but in slush or packed down snow the car can be driven, and more importantly stopped in a fairly normal fashion. When it does go, it’s very well balanced and the slide can be held or recovered as appropriate. Ice is still scary, but it is possible for the car to pull up in a straight line in a controlled fashion. Last year it got driven around the Peaks in the snow quite a lot and we also ended up caught on Kintyre for 3 days when that got cut off from the mainland, and the car was our lifeline to (heating)fuel and food.

If you drive like a bellend, you’ll still have problems, but drive sensibly and anticipate correctly and it’s perfectly possible to make normal progress in most conditions. I’d be more worried about getting hit by other people, than me hitting them.

Mine are on their 3rd winter now and barely look used, although my mileage has dropped mahoosively since moving up north. Money well spent in my book.

rickt
    Free Member

mightymule –
    Theres a lot of useful information posted in this thread.

Winter tyres are a must I say on any car in the winter months when temp is 7’c of below.

I running goodyear ultragrip 8 this season on the E60, previously used Michelin Alpins and Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D’s. I normally run 18’s but switch to 16’s for the winter rubber.

I was not impressed with the performance of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds last year compared to the Alpins, which has resulted in me changing them this season, so we will see how the Ultragrip’s fair.

I also run Alpins on the Golf GTI which perform really good too.

To date – touch wood… i have never got stuck in the E60 in extreme snow, but lets not forget its not the odd one or 2 major days of snow we fit these tyres, it is for the duration of the winter when the temps are cooler and summer compound hardens.

I have driven in Sweden and Norway enough times to highlight the benefits which is the core reason for me running the rubber here in the UK.

Below is a video of us driving in Sweden heading upto Hagfors for a WRC rally stage.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asMMRg6kdh0[/video]

If it was upto me it should be law in the uk too, however it will never happen at the moment.

Markie
    Free Member

From one of today’s papers 😉

The first overturned car of the snow season…

I run winter tyres and think they’re great.

rickt
    Free Member

On summer rubber too….

rickt
    Free Member

sharkbait –

Having driven my brothers ’09 range rover (on normal road tyres, but not rubber bands) I have to disagree with this somewhat – that said, the RR is a very clever car and can handle a lot more than you think if you switch on the correct function.
    I drive an XC90 with winter tyres fitted all the time.

I disagree..To a certain point…. maybe the traction control can get the car moving in snow to a certain level – but try stopping 2 tons it at 70mph on cold surface tarmac compared to winter rubber. its not all about getting going.. its traction and lateral grip

molgrips
    Free Member

As the driver of that BMW found out!

663sqd
    Free Member

I have decent re alloys with jinyu winter tyres for the winter months. The alloys replaced the rubbish bmw mv1 alloys which had both cracked and been weld repaired! . The dezent re alloys are very strong winter alloys. . Which look so much better than the steel and are same price! The winter tyres are very good and not expensive. . £750 for tyre and wheel package. Apparently Most eu countries it is law to have winter tyres, why not gb?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Got some Maxxis Presta Snow on the front, Great Tyres.

Passed through this chaos over Cwm Prysor ( Between Bala and Trawsfynnydd ) this morning with no problems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25000562

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I think winter tyres are a great idea but I also think that the skid pan day I did with my daughter also taught me more about sensible car control, which with being combined with winter tyres would give me a better chance of escaping an incident.

rickt
    Free Member

beicmynydd – Member

Got some Maxxis Presta Snow on the front, Great Tyres.

On the front only ?? not a good idea 😯

beicmynydd
    Free Member

On the front only ?? not a good idea

I take your point rickt

I know if you don’t have 4 and there is a good chance of a spin.

But at least I can go to and from work without having to walk up hill for the last mile !

mikertroid
    Free Member

I had a blowout on a rear on my 3 series touring and am looking to either go for winter or all season tyres.

Anyone used the all seasons in bad weather yet?

neninja
    Free Member

No experience of all season tyres but you don’t have to spend a fortune on Winter tyres – I’m running a set of Rockstone Eco Snow run flats on an E61 – they were apparently designed for the E60/61.

I’ve not tried any big brand Winters (run Goodyear Eagles in the Summer) but have been very happy with the Eco Snows – you can pick a set up for under £400 if you shop around.

rickt
    Free Member

neninja – how do you find the wet performance of them ? (That’s what normally lets these Far East rubber rings down). You running it as a 225/50/17?

neninja
    Free Member

Yes, 225/50/17 run flats

They’ve been ok in the wet. You can feel a little movement but nothing worrying. Was out on damp greasy roads yesterday evening in sub zero temps which would normally be the worst surface (apart from ice) and they did drift slightly but very predictably and the traction control light didn’t come on once.

http://www.tyretest.com/wintercar_tyres/rockstone/ecosnow_run_flat/index.html

neninja
    Free Member

Update on the Rockstone Eco Snow – avoid them.

I’ve changed my mind. They are fine in the dry and when it’s properly wet but have become sphincter twitchingly scary on the damp greasy roads we have at the moment. At motorway speeds (70ish) on the A66 dual carriageway near Brough you could feel the whole car drifting sideways on sweeping corners. At lower speeds I’ve been totally sideways at low speeds on roundabouts with traction and stability control both on! They are gripping less well at around freezing temps than the Goodyear Eagle Summer tyres I had on before. Tyre pressures are all correct.

They are coming off and going on Ebay – lesson learnt. I always say buy cheap and buy twice but on this occasion made that mistake (at least I only paid £200 for them – I now know why the person I bought them from had hardly used them).

Got a set of Nokian WR A3 run flats on the way from Funky Tyres – £125 per tyre delivered which is a great price. They can supply Winter tyres from most of the big brands at much cheaper prices than I’ve seen anywhere else.

rickt
    Free Member

Yeah – your findings are very common with tyres from that sector of the market.

There is no way a lot of these tyres should be legal.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘BMW – Snow – Yes its's another tyre question’ is closed to new replies.