Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • BMW F650 & Triumph Daytona 595/955 – opinions pls
  • Aus
    Free Member

Currently riding an old old ZZR which, to be fair, is running v well, enjoyable.

My riding is now going to comprise largely of a 10 mile (out of town) commute, with occasional 1hr work commutes. The opportunity to go out blasting sadly doesn’t make it up the priority list at the mo!

Have an itch for a change, and wondered about the F650 – a practical short commuter. Good enough for a 1hr commute blast? Worry it might be a bit buzzy being a single (I’d be going for an oldish (cheap) one), and the upright position a bit uninvolving (altho good for my back ache). And assume it’s pretty economical to run/maintain? And can take a big top box (essential).

Really fancy a Triumph Daytona 955 or 595 but figure my riding over the next few years wouldn’t be v healthy for it?

Any experiences of either?

anagallis_arvensis

I bought a F650 single as my first bike for £900 (37 000miles) 3 years ago, its still going strong just passed MOT and is a few hundred miles under 50 000miles now, head bearings are a weak point look for them being replaced. Its fairly slow I suppose but good fun below 75mph I can ride for a few hours no problems, my commute is 30mins or so. The more recent F650 is a twin with a bit more grunt and smoother I would imagine. Very different from a Daytona though I would imagine. Cheap as chips to maintain, touch wood. have a look through http://www.f650.co.uk

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The more recent F650 is a twin

IIRC that’s not the case anymore? They did use a detuned F800 twin engine and called the bike 650, but swapped back to the 650 single recently?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flange
    Free Member

If you only want to use it for commuting, then you could do a lot worse. But going down that route, wouldn’t a CB500 be a better bet as the ultimate (never breaks) commuter? I’ve ridden an F650 a couple of times and found it a bit wanting in power, I wonder if you might feel the same going from your ZZR (assuming its a 600 – even more so if its an 1100). But they have their followers and their own website so they must be doing something right!

I’ve seen those ZZR’s going to mega mileage – they really do seem bombproof. I’d be more inclined to keep that than risk spending a couple of grand on another bike (any bike) that you don’t know the history of and end up having to rinse a load of cash on.

Out of interest, I’ve ridden an F800s and that was lovely. A bit more money, but a much better bike EDIT: In my opinion of course. No offense meant to F650 owners!

Aus
    Free Member

flange – fear you’re probably right. The ZZR600 is a more than fine bike for the job, and I do have an inkling that the F650 might feel a bit punch and slow, but kinda like it – maybe I was manufacturing a reason to switch by the changed commute! Don’t fancy changing to a CB500 as feels like it’d be a downstep to my ZZR – at least the F650 would be different to it, and a change is good sometimes!

The Trimuph on the other hand, feels like a upgrade from the ZZR but overkill for my needs 🙁

failedengineer

Can’t resist a Triumph thread! The Daytona’s quite a wrist-heavy riding position and Triumph triples run very hot so probably not the best commuter. Fantastic bike though.

imp999
    Free Member

Sprint RS over here. Been commuting on it for 12 years.
    55mpg
    scary fast.
    Runs very hot?? Gets hot stuck in traffic,fan comes on, temp drops, fan goes off, repeat until you are moving again. A bit like almost anything else out there.
    I think its quite good.
    Same family as the Daytona(Which I have always liked)but sat up fractionally.

anagallis_arvensis

IIRC that’s not the case anymore? They did use a detuned F800 twin engine and called the bike 650, but swapped back to the 650 single recently?

The old F650 and then early F650GS were singles, the later F650GS are twins and the current F650GS is a detuned 800cc motor from the F800GS. We now also have a G650GS which is a new version of the old F650 single… cant think why you’d be confused!!
    The new G650GS apparently doesnt start when warm though so I would aviod like the plague.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I’ve put ‘comfort bars’ on my 955 which makes slower rides more fun, has a gel seat and heated grips. I love it to bits, but am selling it because I’ve taken a new job and won’t be around to ride 🙁

I had a look at the 800 Beemers before I bought the Daytona. Nice bikes but a wee bit bland I thought.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘BMW F650 & Triumph Daytona 595/955 – opinions pls’ is closed to new replies.