Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • BMW E61 525d Touring as a mile munching bike carrier?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m looking for a large diesel estate, something biggish inside for paintings and bikes.

This year I’ve already had to make three 2500 mile round trips to France, I anticipate a few more in future, so it needs to be happy cruising on the motorway.

I’ve seen a nice 525d Touring with over 100,000 miles on it with reasonable history.

Anything I should look out for, or should I look elsewhere?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the 325d touring, seems to tick all of the boxes quite comfortably. I assume the 325d and the 525d have the same engine?

Straightliner

In terms of a vehicle for cruising up and down the motorways, they’re an excellent choice. They are big and comfortable (the Audi A6 is slightly bigger inside) and reasonably well sorted in terms of few things going wrong. A couple of thinggs to look for on the touring are the suspension levelling technology which can go wrong which isn’t cheap to fix, and the wiring loom in the top of the boot lid which gets damaged over time (by opening and closing the boot, of all things). This isn’t so expensive, but if it fails can mean you can’t get into the boot.

The 325d and 525d do have the same engine (assuming similar model years), which is a detuned version of the 3.0d in the 3/530d. They’re okay, but the fuel efficiency savings over the 3.0d are not astounding and you do lose some of the performance. If you’re simply looking for cheap motorway miles, then the 2.0d may be enough for you and is more fuel efficient. Saying that, the 25d isn’t bad, it’s just not as distinguished as it’s smaller or larger cousins.

michaelbowden

The 174BHP 2.0 diesel engine has timing chain issues. Engine out/gearbox off job as the chain is at the back of the engine.

boblo
    Free Member

Get an A6 2.7. It will go until the end of time.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve also read about the 2.0 timing chain issues. Sounds like an engine to avoid

tonyg2003

How about a e220cdi. These can do huge mileages too?

benp1

The E61 525d is not a 3 litre engine pre LCI, only on LCI cars

The earlier 525d is a 2.5 litre engine. Mine is an E61 525d. I’ve been very pleased with it and despite looking at other cars on ebay and autotrader regularly, including the STW favourite T5, I can’t justify getting rid of it as it’s perfect for my needs.

I’ve had all sorts in and on it and it’s an amazingly well designed car. Lots of little things have had careful thought and planning

fizik
    Free Member

A Volvo v70 d5 is a much better proposition if its mile munching and bike carrying you are after. Fairly quick, bomb proof engine, the best seats in the industry and amazing stereos if you get one with pro logic. I got 3 men’s mtbs in my boot no seats moved and parcel shelf across, can’t beat that! Wont handle as well as a 5 series but they are very smooth and will waft at a fair old lick without you even realising it. The 5 cyl engine is pretty legendary too.

misterduncan
    Free Member

I had an E61 and it was a money pit. Lovely car, but it was an electrical basket case.

The loom on the tailgate mentioned earlier requires the roof lining to be removed to fix, so could easily cost over £400. It seems like it was designed to get no further than the warranty period. If you get the msport wheels, they will crack on the smallest pot hole (Google it). I had this twice in a year and thankfully they were repairable by welding. Had water in the ECU and injector issues. Problem with the immobiliser. When it’s working, it’s amazing.

I traded down to a SAAB 95 aero and it has been much better. Handling not as good, but as quick and more versatile.

wwaswas

I bought an E61 530d about 6 weeks ago and have done about 1500 miles since then

Obviously no long term experience but it’s a lovely car and very powerful, averaged about 33mpg to date.

I’ll be getting the swirl flaps done and I’ve fitted a Dension unit to allow me to get a modern music source connected.

At this stage I’d recommend one.

Tinners

McMoonter – Fizik has hit the nail on the head. There’s nothing like a big Volvo estate for munching miles and carrying stuff in comfort. Volvo put a lot of work into their seats (I think they’re designed in conjunction with an orthopaedic dept in a university). Volvo seat is the only seat I’ve ever got out of after a 600 mile trip and felt I could do it again. Built to last and easy to work on. Safe as houses too and will carry those fantastic paintings with minimum effort.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve been checking out Volvo V70 D5s, they look like just the car I need. Currently scouring autotrader and ebay for one.

boblo
    Free Member

The V70 is a bit, errrr, shit compared to the A6 and 5 series. From a current V70 owner, past A6 aficionado (3) and future 5 series owner (next).

The V70 to get is the previous shape to current if the miles aren’t too high. It’s a very handsome car for an estate and the mechanicals are very similar. Engine tune is slightly down as current D5 is allegedly 215bhp.

It’s still a bit meh compared to ze Garman tackle though.

iainc

^^^ interesting comment boblo. I currently have a 5 Touring (Company Car) but when it goes back I’ll be getting a car allowance instead so thinking of a Volvo XC60 or XC70 on a lease. You reckon I’ll be disappointed ?

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve not driven the Volvo soft roaders, they may be betterer. For me, the fit and finish of the Volvo interior is on a par with Ford etc whilst my Audi’s were much nicer.

I know this is totally subjective but the Volvo feels ‘mass market’, nice but nothing special. It’s got the biggest pile of toys of any car I’ve ever had and the most power but it feels a bit cheap (they are cheaper than their contemporaries). The Audi’s were very nice inside and felt better quality though their interiors are amongst the best in the business.

Apologies to anyone offended by this. It’s a very subjective view and probably a bit daft. However, car purchasing is a bit subjective so…

Iain, you might feel completely different so don’t let me put you off.

iainc

useful info, thanks boblo

fionap

Picking up a V60 D5 this weekend (used, couple of years old). It’s got the R-design kit so the interior is very nice, easily on a par with BMW/Audi. 215bhp, torquey, should realistically do 40-50mpg and incredibly, is in the £30/yr VED bracket.
    More importantly it hasn’t got a badge and reputation that prevents other people from letting you out at junctions.

fizik
    Free Member

obviously some people arent secure enough in their own image to consider driving a volvo over a bmw or an audi but each to their own. The seats in an audi or bmw are very shit compared to a volvo as is the boot space/width. The new v70s granted arent as nice as volvos of old but if you can find a decent phase 2 v70 go for it, dont worry about miles just make sure it has the usual service history, cambelt etc and check wishbone bushings for wear (need doing around 100k) you wont be dissapointed. I quite like the fact that it doesnt have the audi or bmw image too. Sure you dont get flashy dashboards but the interior of the P2 is better quality and much more comfortable. Id call bullshit on anyone trying to say otherwise. The old D5 163 euro 3 engine is economical for what it is (45mpg with hard driving), the newer euro 4 with 163 or 185 (in the facelift models) is 6 speed and not quite as economical but still OK. I swapped mine for a 180bhp D5 C30 manual and after 2 weeks in a golf with work i couldnt wait to get back into the volvo, better built, nicer to drive and 5 cylinder engines have a fair bit of character to them whilst still being nice and refined. I think the A6 2.7 is supposed to be a solid unit but i couldnt live with the seats, i read too many horror stories about 5 series e61’s – wanted a 530d but glad i chose my first v70 at 25, 3 of my mates also followed suite as they were so impressed! ideal fast, low profile and comfy enduro support vehicle

boblo
    Free Member

@Fizik Why does it have to be about image? Could be somebody just has a differing opinion to you… gasp!

I’ve done 150k miles in A6 seats BTW and I didn’t/don’t find them that different to the Volvo ones… oh apart from the latter’s looking a little saggy a little sooner….

The V70 is a decent enough motah, it just feels a bit ordinary in the market sector it chooses to do its business in. 🙂

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Agree with Boblo. Having last weekend compared the R design Volvo to the BMW and Audi I can categorically say the 2 Germans win hands down in terms of driver comfort and interior quality and not at all “on par with BMW/Audi”, but like everything, you pay for the extra quality.

slackalice
    Free Member

Personally, I’d go for an E-Class estate if my requirements were the same as the OP’s.

bigdean

Alfa 159 estate and join the AA.
    You won’t need it as much as you think.
    #waiting for AA as crankshaft pulley has separated from rubber inner#

ineedabeer
    Free Member

I have a crv 2.2 totally comfortable, swallows bikes does 45 on a run with 40 average daily commute its the exec model with all the toys, granted its not any of the cars mentioned here, but after owning audis and brothers owning bmws I like the crv. Another added benefit I can get changed in the back too easier than in a normal estate.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘BMW E61 525d Touring as a mile munching bike carrier?’ is closed to new replies.