Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • BMW e39 e46 Touring?
  • hunterst
    Free Member

After running 5 series 2.5 saloons for the last 12 years i am thinking about getting a 3 series touring.

I need an estate but think that the 5 series estate is too big so have decided to look for a 3 series.

I am looking at either e36(1992-99) or e46 up to about 2005

I’ve decided to look at petrol only to avoid the swirl flap issue on the e46 cars.

Anybody have any thoughts, tips or advice?

I would like to think i can get something decent with service history and around 80k miles for no more than 4.5k

Got to admit, the 5 series cars feel bombproof and after owning an e34 for 7 years and then an e39 for the last 5 years i need to feel the same about the 3 series.

keithb

I’ve got an E46 318i, with an auto box. It’s awesome….

But look out for:
    Servicing – particularly the things that are “every third oil service” with the condition based servicing on the E46.
    Gearbox – probably sensible to go for a manual as autos are allegedly “sealed for life” so don’t need ATF changes, but they can and do go wrong if the oil gets sludgy.
    I think the 3 is quite a it smaller in the boot than the 5.
    3’s tend to get more abuse as they often start life as rep-mobiles, then go onto owners who want the “sporty” feel, rather then the “cruise ship” feel of a 5.
    The 320 and up in the E46 has 6 cylinder engines, so if that’s what you want worth bearing in mind 320’s over 318’s.

I fancy a 5 series estate next myself…. And regardless of the above it’ll be an auto.

iainc

I had a 3 Tourer and now have a 5 Tourer (Company cars). There is really no comparison in internal boot space, the 5 seems like twice the size !

welshfarmer

I have an E46 touring 53 plate 320d. Had it for 7 years without problems. First thing I did was to remove the swirl flaps and replace the engine breather filter with a centrifugal one, thus eliminating the 2 major problems. Still has under 70K miles (genuine) as I don’t use it often (but when I do it is driven proper distances rather than stop/start town driving.)

Love the car but wife wants something easier to get into. Bodywork is starting to show its age and has a couple of dings and rust bubbles on arches. Interior very good and rear seats not really used. 12 months MOT last week without advisories but I am fitting 2 new tyres anyway. Would consider selling for about £2K

Daffy

^^^TAKE THIS OFFER!^^^

hunterst
    Free Member

Thanks for the info chaps – keep it coming
    Welshfarmer – emailed you

keithb

For 4.5k you could just about get an E60, but that would have (a fair amount) over 100k on the clock. The benefits being a generally higher spec than equivalent 3 series, and less likely to have been thrashed…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘BMW e39 e46 Touring?’ is closed to new replies.