Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • BMW 750i – why not?
  • br
    Free Member

I do however bow to your magnificent car managment skills.

People management skills mate, and been known as someone who’ll always pay (and upfront if needed) – IMO that’s the thing that gets me both good deals and ahead of the queue 🙂 Plus a preventative maintenance policy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

BMW 750i – why not?

You’ll look like a burke, it has shite fuel economy, it’ll cost loads to tax, it’ll cost loads to repair etc. etc.

geetee1972
    Free Member

He won’t look like a berk, why would he? And it won’t cost a lot to tax either.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I run a V6 petrol Merc and do maybe 10K miles per year. The fuel consumption isn’t great (I average about 22mpg), the servicing bills are high (I’m still using Mercedes but will change for the next service) and it likes to eat tyres (I got about 10,000 miles from the last set). Bearing all that in mind though I do enjoy driving it and in fact might well replace it with something more fun and with even higher running costs.

hora
    Free Member

Why would the OP be a burke?

I would LOVE a Phaeton. Wish I was brave enough.

Balls versus those who are too scared to live life IMO. Im sadly the latter. During a ride recently I was talking to ndg on here and he’d just broke/sold off his 99 200k 735i.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Berk. No ‘e’. Rhyming slang derived from Berkeley Hunt.

He is talking about driving a BMW and most are though he’s talking about a large engined limo rather than an X5.

I would. Don’t the old 8 series depreciate like crazy as well or have they crept up in value now?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I’m going car shopping next month 🙂 Perhaps should have clarified, I will be keeping the Vectra for dog and bike duties and keeping the 750 for going on dates, long fast drives and general wafting about 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

general wafting about

What about one of these:

ivantate
    Free Member

I bought a 5series tourer for the price of a used fiesta and although it has cost more to keep in fine fettle than i expected doing most of the work myself its still cost less to keep on the road than the fiesta.

Parts are surprisingly cheap and available for bmws. Remember it will continue to depreciate though.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Luxo barges can be good if you embrace them for what they are, but really the only real advice I can give is if you can’t afford to buy a new one then don’t bother buying a used one. Tyres, petrol etc will all have the same costs as a new one, sure you can skimp on servicing, but when things go really wrong then your in a whole lot of pain. If you think you can afford it then great go for it, if not join us plebs in our shopping trolly’s *

*I actually run expensive to own cars, but then I also run a car showroom so I don’t pay for labour & get a great discount on parts.

hora
    Free Member

Why the homophobia?

Is that youre stereotypical view?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

How do you put hora back in his box?

Answers on a postcard please*

*Or I’ll wonder over to pistonheads & rip him a new one

hora
    Free Member

Rip me a new what? Explain carefully.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Let me think, you know nothing about cars!*

*well that puts you about even with the amount you know about bikes 😉

hora
    Free Member

Im still confused. The OP is being trolled and then you pop in with a snide comment. Do you agree you contribution is also negative forum use.

If you’ve got a problem you can email me. Dont spoil someones topic. The same goes for the ‘mincer’ poster. I personally found that post offensive/negative.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Mark, we have had this discussion via email before, I’m not trying to goad you & your editing of your post makes you look less like a fool, but lets not do this.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Unless you use a different email/persona. Are you twisted/bitter over something? Seriously weird.

If you are implying you’ve threatened me on email you’d have a shock.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Mark, pipe down, no one is threatening you, and I have had my monicker since the go-far days.
    You remember living in West Hampsted right?

And please don’t try & imply anything else, threats don’t scare me.

hora
    Free Member

You are the one threatening me. ‘We have had this discussion on email’ and ‘rip me a new one’.

Where did the attack on me tonight come from?

Seriously weird.

alpin
    Free Member

Ooooo….. Handbags at dawn!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’ve got a problem you can email me. Dont spoil someones topic. The same goes for the ‘mincer’ poster. I personally found that post offensive/negative.

Political correctness gone mad!

But really, I cant see how its offensive. And I apologise if it has offended you. And apologies to the OP, but in my experience (none), 5 litre BMW’s arent a great car for wafting about in.

Kryton57

Could you two take your argument elsewhere before this thread gets closed? Some of us are finding it useful.

Many thanks

anagallis_arvensis

Hora are you really this touchy or just drunk?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

My God, WTF are you on?
    I never once threatened you, we have had this discussion via email & guess what?, it was a discussion. If you would really like me to compare our respective understanding of the motor industry then go for it, but it is all I have done for the last 25 years.

Jeez.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Hora are you really this touchy or just drunk?

I think he has a pink toyota.

hora
    Free Member

Touchy? I found it weird how I was attacked for no reason. Plus the obvious attempt to belittle/get a public rise. Stop it.

Kryton57 I agree. Can we not post anymore unless its on cars/op. Fullstop.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OMG, as my daughter would say…

pingu66
    Free Member

Calm down and battle elsewhere if you must have a p1ssing contest take it offline but “rip him a new one” is a little threatening!

It was quite an interesting thread until this!

EDIT

It amazes me how often this happens on STW.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

pingu66, I would love to argue, but if you don’t have the balls to write pissing then you deserve to get reported for avoiding the swear filter, HTH.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@davidtaylforth are you implying that I am gay?

(Because I am, very openly)

🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

randomjeremy – Member

@davidtaylforth
    are you implying that I am gay?

(Because I am, very openly)

Well, I was implying a bright pink mince mobile might have been a better car for “wafting about in”

I hope you’re not offended!

Kryton57

Brilliant. A gay bashing, fight inducing, ass tearing, in denial what car thread.

Only on STW.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Brilliant. A gay bashing, fight inducing, ass tearing, in denial what car thread.

Only on STW.

As long as you are only being constructive then welcome to the party 😉

hora
    Free Member

What about a supercharged 4.2 Jag XJR?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

At least a 750i will have front and rear heated seats to warm ones newly torn arse

singletrackmind

Meanwhile ……….
    A mate who knows abit about luxury cars was telling me about the LWB 750iL.
    Apparently it shares more than a few bits and bobs with the new Rolls Royce range.
    They are an awful lot of car for the money though.
    There are also lots of bargain tastic cars around the £2000 if you are a low milage user and dont mind something about 10 years old.
    Saabs, Volvos , Jags and Alfa’s come to mind.
    If you can afford the initial purchace price , and tax and insurance then why not?

BrickMan

Depreciation is what hurts, a few years ago I worked out it costs you something around the £10/day mark for a standard silver mondeo 2.0 tdci saloon with 12k a year on it over the 1st 3 years.
    £10 a freaking day, just for it to sit there, plus everything else, plus the fact (mondeo estate with the higher powerd tdci’s are nice enough) but seriously rather have that kind of money going on something decent.

The main issue with big fancy cars is if something goes wrong on the wiring/dash computer side of things, or autobox, the cost of fixing or even working out what has gone wrong just starts running away with you. However, at least that money goes towards doing something rather than just catching fire.

pingu66
    Free Member

I think the Jags generally are a little dated unless you look at the newer XF or XK. No doubt many of the older Jags are great cars. The new XJ is too new to get for little money.

I would be worried about fuel economy in the event my job changed and I was doing the mileage I was a few years ago.

molgrips
    Free Member

but seriously rather have that kind of money going on something decent

You seem to be comparing a brand new mondeo with a used big engined car. Hardly fair!

Cos there are also used mondeos available.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘BMW 750i – why not?’ is closed to new replies.