• This topic has 24 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • BMC Trailfox/Rocky Instinct BC…. Anyone?
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Just been perusing the interwebs and these two caught my interest. Anyone got one/tried one/have any ideas!

I am not really in the market for doing anything about it beyond being interested, but the idea of selling the Whyte and changing for something else is certainly lurking in the back of my mind (for a fictional time at some stage in the future when I find some cash… or convince someone to spring for a serious birthday pressie – I can dream can’t I!)

akira

Ridden the trailfox, felt pretty fast on the quick ride I had. Got the impression it would motor through everything, didn’t get to try it on anything too tight or twisty though.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Cheers – the couple of reviews I have been able to find suggest that it is a decent option. Finding one in the flesh may prove tricky though!

eshershore
    Free Member

Evans have never seemed to support BMC properly in the UK 🙁

one of my former colleague was a BMC fanboy who owned 3 and he would go to their service course in Europe when he needed spares or a new frame / bike

akira

Tried quite a few bikes back to back and my favourite was the mondraker foxy.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

3rd hand information says the trailfox is hefty, but the source of that info top 10ed in the grizedale enduro on one. If there’s anything else I can fail to resolve let me know.

stevestunts
    Free Member

thebestialiser is incorrect, as I am the source of that information and I didn’t participate in the Grizedale Enduro. He may recall that, as I was out on a road bike ride with him at the time.

My brother in law, on the other hand, did place in the top 10, and his Trailfox is a portly bugger even with some of the heavier parts removed or swapped for lighter bits. It clearly doesn’t slow him down, but to me it just feels like a bike you could never make feel light and agile, regardless of how much cash you threw at it.

Northwind

Looking at the Trailfox it’s kind of hard to see where all the weight goes. But they do spec proper tyres and the like on them.

If you can get to an Evans, you can get a testride- though I think Evans testrides are more or less a bump round the block? Still highly tempted though

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Alright smartarse.

^^him i mean

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

lol – I am a hefty bugger so bike weight is not *really* an issue 😉 I could loose more off myself than any bike on the market, thus making it weightless (in my warped logic).

Can Evans get bikes into test ride to any store? I think there is one in Kendal now….?

gary

I got a bit of a killer deal on the Instinct BC edition recently.

I only have a handful of rides on it so far. But, those rides did include 3 days in Switzerland at the weekend throwing it over all the rocks I could find and I’m very happy with it. Don’t see the bike being the limiting factor on rides!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Cool – that was where I started, then saw the BMC… and now thrown the Mondraker Crafty into the mix too…

And the Kona Process 111

Perhaps the Orange Alpine 5 too….

I need something relatively burly built 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Went out on a demo with a mate who rode the Instinct 999, only changes were a swap to Minion/HRII. He was impressed, solid but really light, fast and the bike being very capable. The bike actually belongs to my mate who is the local Rocky Dealer. He loves it but has been riding the Carbon Thunderbolt more.
    The instinct seems to fit the if I only have 1 bike role best being good for aggressive riding but also being happy to play as the all day mile muncher. The thunderbolt (130mm/650b) is more of a handful in a good way if you want a really fun bike.

Northwind

Alpine 5 is definitely worth checking out, Orange are best when they’re doing big bikes and it’s a really big bike.

gary

The instinct seems to fit the if I only have 1 bike role best being good for aggressive riding but also being happy to play as the all day mile muncher.

I’d agree with that – on the basis that its got me wondering what the point of my RM Element is now!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have 2 bikes..
    The element and a SC Blur LTc, though my mate in the LBS wants me to try the instinct, it will be coming up for sale very soon at a very good price…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It would be a “one bike” type scenario… well… kinda… I will keep the Stache too for wet and miserable days, or when only a blat on a hardtail will do!

I like to have one bouncy and one not bouncy bike 😉

The possibility of this being a pressie for a significant birthday which is looming later this year is looking slightly stronger – although on the proviso that the T-129S is sold towards the cost! By late September I am suspecting that the 2016 models will be out too….

Rickos
    Free Member

Trek Remedy? Steve Jones has good things to say about it.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It was on the list Rickos, but this years colour scheme was gopping on the alu one… but more of an issue is that they have the Boost frame spacing (which isn’t a problem in itself, just means I wouldn’t be able to share wheels between bikes!)

Still… worth a look…

rhayter

Rocky Mountain = cool
    BMC ? cool

LeeW

I’ve also got a RM Instinct BC, love it, far more capable than me ://

Where about are you? Can try it if you want.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

South Lakes Lee

LeeW

Fancy showing a mincer round for a day?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

lol – I don’t know *that* many trails… but I am sure I could cobble something together sometime 😉

LeeW

Ace! Drop me a line if you want to have a go on it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘BMC Trailfox/Rocky Instinct BC…. Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.