Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • BM 335 vs 330 – worth the premium?
  • munro
    Free Member

Anyone in a 335d Bimmer? Is the 335 worth the premium over the 330?

Cheers, John

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Save some cash and go 330i!

I’ve just bought a 130i, absolutely fantastic car. MPG is irrelevant when you have the soundtrack of a straight 6.

philjunior
    Free Member

Well anyone in a 335d will say yes, won’t they!

If you’re choosing between them though you know you’ll feel like you’ve scrimped if you don’t go for the 335. Maybe take less options and the more powerful engine.

daleman
    Free Member

no

Fantombiker

Well, I have s 335d touring. I have not tried the 330. Pluses are the power and torque, its a bit thirsty but I don’t care as its so nice to drive.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 330D

The 330D is a very under stressed engine. A quick remap will yield an extra 50/55bhp straight away, and improvements in economy (which is already quite a bit better than the auto only 335d anyway).

Mine’s a rare manual box too, and was a lot cheaper than a similar condition 335d would have been.

solamanda
    Free Member

I have a 335D touring, I don’t know how much better it is than a 330. For me it was a no brainer as it was being sold privately in the right colour I wanted and 1 owner. Condition and judging the owner comes high up in my considerations for any car.

IMHO, no it’s probably not worth a big premium over a 330 but little touches like the paddles on the steering wheel are really actually quite useful. They do return poorer mpg but I think it’s balanced by better residuals and more smiles per mile! Beware that fitting a removable tow bar to a 335d is alot more expensive due to the twin tail pipes.

You’ll be happy regardless which you buy, they eat miles like nobodies business and are comedy fast for overtaking.

Fantom – what do you get out of yours out of interest?

hammyuk
    Free Member

The 330D I sold was an ex-Hants 5-0 unmarked – went like stink!
    Had it back down there and they put it on the rollers for me and it had 312bhp with 520nM – more torque than the M3.
    Turns out there were a few other mods done that you’d never know unless they were pointed out. The reason they use factory order MTech versions is that the M3 wishbones, etc all fit which they don’t on the MSport. Complete rear sunframes drop straight in – so think LSD, links, shocks, etc.
    They mapped the gearbox too which most don’t – if its not done it causes major issue so they must be done together.
    I really, really do miss that car but with 156k on the clock it needed £2k throwing at the suspension right through and it didn’t warrant the value of the car.
    Thats the beauty of a 135i – those M3 parts drop straight in them too along with 360-420bhp 😉

Daffy

If you’re talking about the E9X range, the 330s (both I and D) are the thinking mans choice. Both are fast, but not super-fast and return remarkable MPG for their size….the same cannot be said for the 335s.

julians
    Free Member

Always go for the most powerful engine you can afford in any given model range.

nickewen
    Free Member

Need to know if you’re talking brand new F whatever model or E9X models as there’s different considerations for each. E.g. new 335d is auto (8speed ZF) and X drive only.

gee
    Free Member

Had my 335d for about 18 months now. It’s an ’57 plate E91 estate blue one with black leather; still yet to see another one with the same high spec and low miles since I bought it, plus it has hardly depreciated. It is utterly ballistic when you put your foot down and yet running at 80 on French motorways in the summer I got 600 miles from £60 of diesel. Usually it averages 33mpg with a bit of rural commuting and motorways, which is enough not to sting too much. Before I bought it, the dealer had replaced the turbo actuators which can go and are c£500. Watch the DPF on urban ones too; short journeys clog it. The grunt on the motorway feels like he car has been hit with a wrecking ball and anything other than a dry straight road has the traction control flashing away if you try too hard. Be gentle on wet roundabouts…

Had a go in a 330d as well and it was a bit pedestrian by comparison, plus for a diesel the 335 makes a good roar – sounds a bit like a jet engine when you let it run up the revs! Coming from a 4.2 V8 petrol I needed some attempt at a decent noise. Also those twin pipes are very cool…

The equivalent 335i has issues with the twin turbos and high pressure fuel pumps, not that reliable. My wife has just got one of the new m135i single twin-scroll turbo engines which is in the new 335i and that sounds absolutely incredible and still does 33mpg as well… Remarkable. But then again a new 335i is a lot more than a 07-ish era 335d!

So I guess it depends on what your preferences are, the 335d is quite a premium and relatively rare, but you can probably tell I’m happy with it.

GB

neallyman
    Free Member

Have got a 6 month old 435d. Drove both the ’30’ and ’35’ before buying, differences not massive….but noticeable in my opinion. Probably 50% actual difference vs 50% mental/perceived difference because I knew which was which. Either way the bigger engine is awesome and I’d thoroughly recommend. Obviously!

scaredypants

I think “he” had a 335d, didn’t he ?

if so, they’re AWESOME

clunker

I ended up getting a deal on my 335d payed the same price as a 330d, owned for a month now and very happy. I’m getting 32mpg and 0-62 in 4.9 seconds.

iainc

Neighbour has a 335d xdrive. His old man is a car guy with a lot of them including 2 Ferrari’s, a 911 and some others. The 335 is apparently the most fun !!

johndoh
    Free Member

He?

Does He surf?

jam-bo

He doesn’t just surf. He reo’s til his hips ache

jimjam
    Free Member

clunker

I’m getting 32mpg and 0-62 in 4.9 seconds.

Not at the same time though I’d wager 😆

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Had 330d, currently have 335d. Coming out of company car scheme, so changing again. Going back to a 430d GC, as I can’t stand x drive, it really ruins the car in looks and feel. It is faster, but it’s not as fun, so loosing a tiny amount of performance to get better handling.

If you could get 335 with s drive, it would be a no brainier. But the 30d with PPK is much more fun and as fast, for me anyway.

That’s all F30/F36, e90s I think you could get rwd on 335d.

Currently discounts for both engines are about the same. Massive discounts on the 5s at the moment, which means a 535 will be much cheaper than a 330 or 335 either outright or finance, finance much more so but didn’t go that route

timc
    Free Member

Worth noting the E9x 335i switch engines at some point, one is a single turbo, one is a twin.

My local bmw Indi said he had a lot of turbo issues with both 335’s & I know first hand the painful cost of replacing a bmw (Mitsubishi) turbo.

If on a budget & looking at older cars I’d be looking at a 330I personally

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Always go for the most powerful engine you can afford in any given model range.”

And the good reason for that is ?

julians
    Free Member

And the good reason for that is ?

because more power = more fun (given the same car – for the pedants/STW regulars, that does not mean that I think a 400bhp 5 series is more fun than a 118bhp S1 lotus elise)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

because more power = more fun

Does it?

I’ve currently got a 320d on lease. Its plenty fast enough, handles very well, and you can have lots of fun with it turning the traction off.

When the lease finishes I have wondered about buying a second hand 330/335d. But I do wonder if I would be disappointed? Well not disappointed, but underwhelmed by the driving experience.

If the 335 is xdrive only then its out for a start as that would be dull…. Fast but still dull.

Does the 330 have LSD, stiffer suspension than a 320, slicker shorter throw gearbox, more direct sensitive steering (big weakness of the new 3 series)?

Yes they have a much nicer sounding engine, but I’m not sure that makes up for them driving, in reality with very little difference other than having to put your foot on the brake more.

edfiasco
    Free Member

Turbo issues with the X35s

nickewen
    Free Member

Chris Harris on “do you need anything more than a 320d”

Interesting video.

ericemel
    Free Member

I have the current 330d and it is the first car I have had where I have not thought ‘wish this was faster’

Of course, faster is still fine :O)

If you want xdrive do with the 335d if not get a 330d sdrive

also check out the Bimmerpost forums for advice – alot are finding very little difference in PCP cost and the 335d cheaper to insure. Also aim for a decent discount level, circa +20%

Kryton57

Does the 330 have LSD, stiffer suspension than a 320, slicker shorter throw gearbox

What you need is a 1 series in M Sport guise.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve had both a 330d and a 335d (E9X series) and I’ve also had a 320d (when they were making 163bhp. 330d was a coupe, 335d was the saloon and 320d was the touring (or estate as they should be called).

All had similar mileage on them when I bought them and all had a map put on them when I bought them.

The 335d is miles ahead in performance, a friend had an E46 M3 and mine in a straight line would destroy it up to about 100mph at which point the M3 would start reeling it back in (autobahn). I did a track day at Spa and also took it to the ring where apart from the rubbish gearbox, it held itself pretty well. I’ve had quite a few quick cars (M6, RS4, 911) and between 70mph and 100mph there isn’t much that would touch it.

The 330d was a rapid car, but it was a rapid ‘normal’ car if that makes sense? As in it was quick enough, but it never felt anything like as rapid as the other, even with a map. However given a choice I’d have the coupe every day of the week, it was so much nicer to be in, just seemed more special and looked better too. Also worth noting, the rear seats in a coupe fold flat as standard, they don’t in the saloon. Fuel wise there wasn’t much in it between the two, maybe 5 mpg if you did the ’60mph in 6th’ type run but I never had the patience to bother.

The 320d was rubbish in all respects really. Felt pretty slow, the boot space was rubbish with the suspension turrets intruding into the load space and I had a pov spec one so it didn’t have many toys (not the cars fault). It also caused me the most problems – turbo issues and injector problems were common. I had no faults on the other two and both did around 40k in my ownership. Was good on fuel though…

In summary (if you’re going E9x), I’d have a 335d coupe – not bad on fuel, properly quick and carries a bike better than the saloon. Oh and looks better and has the funky seatbelt thing that hands it to you as you get in.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I have the current 330d and it is the first car I have had where I have not thought ‘wish this was faster’

Me too. Its the first car I’ve had where on a nice twisty A-road there is generally more power available than I think is safe to use.

The grunt on the motorway feels like he car has been hit with a wrecking ball and anything other than a dry straight road has the traction control flashing away if you try too hard. Be gentle on wet roundabouts

That’s why I went for xdrive on my 330d as I found even the 320d I used to have had traction issues. Sure xdrive reduces the steering sharpness a bit but it still handles like a rear wheel drive BMW is supposed to and traction out of slower corners is impressive.

ericemel
    Free Member

For reference, I see a lot of comments about the E9X series and very positive. For what its worth the F3X 330d is quicker than the old 335d.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think it depends on the series – if an E9x, I’d go 335 but buy with my eyes wide open. They’re prone to turbo problems. The pre-facelift cars had two turbos to go bang whereas the facelift cars have one. The facelift cars suffer from fuel pump and coil pack failures (these seem more common than turbo issues and aren’t cheap to fix). The fuel pump and coil issues alo affect the 330’s too.

If you’re looking at the F series, I’d struggle to pay the extra for a 335.

When our 330 (E90) was in the bodyshop earlier this year we (well, I) had a 330d X Drive as a courtsey car for a week which I really fell in love with and I usually hate fast diesels. It sounded grim on start up (as they all do) but did sound good when accelerating.

The performance was mighty impressive – 5.2 to 62 plus lots of torque and the X Drive gave lots of grip which I think is good in a fast every day car. Audi have been selling fast all wheel drive cars for years and people like them. A 330d with X Drive isn’t the sharpest driving tool etc, but it’s quick and the security of four wheel drive is great in the wet. It did make the car look a bit poo though because it sat so high and the boot floor was higher.

In real world driving it felt more than fast enough and did like a drink but I drove it like a bit of a tool. I’d struggle to justify the extra for a 335 and would either save the cash or get a few other options.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The 320d was rubbish in all respects really. Felt pretty slow, the boot space was rubbish with the suspension turrets intruding into the load space and I had a pov spec one so it didn’t have many toys (not the cars fault). It also caused me the most problems – turbo issues and injector problems were common. I had no faults on the other two and both did around 40k in my ownership. Was good on fuel though…

Apart from being slower there wasn’t much difference in the driving experience then?

Of course I know the answer for me is just to go and drive a 330 and see…

iamtheresurrection

Echoing a few comments above, if it’s an F20/21 then I would stick with a rear wheel drive 330.

I went for a 330D Xdrive and although it’s clearly a very nice car I’m thoroughly underwhelmed with it compared to my old E91. It feels very nose heavy and although it’s never put a foot wrong I get pretty much zero pleasure from driving it quickly. Apart from the fact it’s physically bigger, I think the standard suspension (I went adaptive too) is just much too soft compared to MSport…

So based on all of that, I wouldn’t see the point in the 335. I would never want to drive it quickly.

konabunny
    Free Member

I have a 335D touring, I don’t know how much better it is than a 330

It’s 5 better. HTH

Kryton57

Echoing a few comments above, if it’s an F20/21 then I would stick with a rear wheel drive 330.

Do you realise you’ve compared a 1 series? And they are RWD?

iamtheresurrection

F this, F that… 😉

I meant F30/31. Got confused because I’ve just ordered a 1er to replace the 330D. You can get the hateful Xdrive in a 1 now, the 120D has a choice.

garage-dweller

I’m waiting for one of the new chassis to get called the F14T 😛

lalazar
    Free Member

Our lease 330d has just gone back replaced with a brand new 335d xdrive. 335d is rapid sticks like glue round the corners and makes a great noise but for all that it’s a bit blunt compared to the 330d. Performance wise there’s not much in it tbh.

Kryton57

I’m waiting for one of the new chassis to get called the F14T

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘BM 335 vs 330 – worth the premium?’ is closed to new replies.