• This topic has 37 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Blurs new album .. anyone excited by it !!
  • renton
    Free Member

Or just me. …

Really been a big fan of blur since they come out all them years ago and am quite excited about the new album being released.

darrell
    Free Member

no

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No but was never a big Blur fan. Loved the Pulp way more, yet for some reason guessing would feel similarly uninspired should they release a new album. Certain bands seem more conspicuously ‘of their time’?*

Nonetheless, I hope it’s an amazing album!

(Still bruised over Underworld’s ‘Barking’ – two great tunes and a lot of filler IMO)

badnewz
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to it. I think Blur have the musical range to transcend their time. They have always been open to new influences and each band member is very individual.
    Anything to save us from the unremitting boredom of Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith and co.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Love the title of the new release, There Are Too Many Of Us. About time someone got the message across. As long as the band haven’t collectively got a small army of offspring, good on them. Steps away awaiting the onslaught from this comment…

Has Albarn learnt how to sing yet?

No, I’m not excited by it

Pook

Yes I am and have tickets for the Hyde Park show.

rewski
    Free Member

Not really, more excited about the possibility of DJ Shadow and Geoff Barrows working together.

CountZero

Has Albarn learnt how to sing yet?

No, I’m not excited by it
    *Sigh* The exact same thing can be said of an awful lot of rock/folk/whatever singers, including Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Cerys Matthews, Willy Nelson…
    And of course it matters not a jot, because people enjoy them for their character as performers, songwriters, and their ability to get across the emotion of their songs, instead of standing there just singing what’s on the page in a flawless fashion, while managing to lose every bit of emotional content the song is supposed to possess.

Northwind

I hear Mogwai are warming up the tshirt press

bikebouy
    Free Member

I am, I loved Albarns solo album, hoping this will be equally excellent.

So that’s a Yes from me.

sc-xc

I’m looking forward to hearing it.

I have seen them twice, the first was Blur’s first ever paying gig (according to Damon, Dudley JBs) and the second time at the Hyde Park Midlife gigs a few years ago.

Both times they held the crowd, he is a great frontman.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

Yeah! I was at the JB ‘s gig. Was obvious they were going to be huge.

Pook

I think they won blur v oasis in the end.

sc-xc

It was something special eh Si? you must have been a regular up there. Good old days…

jamj1974

I’m excited OP!

binners
    SiofCannock
    Free Member

@sc xc. I remember Damon hanging off the lighting rig at the end with the rest of the band and the whole audience wondering how on earth he was going to get back down. He crashed down onto one of the stacks and hobbled around with a knackered ankle til the end of the gig. Mega.

sc-xc

Haha, yeah…he nearly pulled that thing down. Not bad for £3 in on a Friday night.

Pook

What do we think then? Highlights for me: My Terracotta Heart, New World Towers and Lonesome Street

senorj

Not excited , but pleased it sounds reasonable(what i’ve heard on 6).
    One of the first gigs I took Senorita J to, was blur at Newcastle uni,circa 89. “She’s so high” had just been released.
    The Parklife gig in the dublin castle was pretty blooming amazing…
    I don’t often/ever listen to them now by choice, but whenever i hear anything by Albarn/Coxon ,I enjoy it.
    Apart from “Country House”.shudder.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Blur fans will be happy.

So no for me but I did like Song 2.

Woohoo!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I downloaded it last night and typically played it twice..

It’s…

Most excellent 8)

renton
    Free Member

I need to get it downloaded. Is there a free version anywhere?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It reminds me of ‘The Great Escape’ in its tone. A couple of the songs could slot right into TGE in fact.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No. LaLa played something off the album yesterday but didn’t work for me.

DezB
    Free Member

I need to get it downloaded. Is there a free version anywhere?

Yes. Try: The Internet 😉

ransos
    Free Member

It reminds me of ‘The Great Escape’ in its tone. A couple of the songs could slot right into TGE in fact.

I thought that was their worst album…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not really, I used to love Blur when they were cheeky, happy chappies with happy poppy songs, but and this is just my opinion, they started to think there music had some important serious message as some point and disappeared up their own arse.

hatter

Song Two was a formative moment for a young boy growing up in the provinces who unto that point had very little exposure to heavy guitar music.

The rest of their catalog… meh

nullpointer
    Free Member

It’s now on Spotify, if you’re that way inclined.

Blur – The Magic Whip

DezB
    Free Member

Just gave it a listen. Made it to track 5 and can’t remember a thing about it.

isto
    Free Member

I hear Mogwai are warming up the tshirt press

Ha ha 😆 if they do might have to get one this time round.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I actually prefer them as they age, more melancholic which suits me 😆

I think you need to give it another listen if you are unsure about it first time around. Like most things/songs/albums .. it grows on you.

CountZero

So far, I’m enjoying what I’ve heard of it, I’m not a huge fan, but I like them as a band, I really ought to get more of their stuff, but so much music, so little money to buy it all.
    I am really looking forward to seeing them at the IoW Festival, along with Fleetwood Mac and the Prodigy; I’ve seen FM before, but they didn’t have Lindsay Buckingham at that time, so to see their classic line-up, along with two other great British bands who I’ve never seen before is going to be a great treat. 😀

slowoldman

Only if they release more crazy videos like this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tR3_EzAbOI&spfreload=10[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

I think you need to give it another listen if you are unsure about it first time around

I ain’t got time fer that… too many new and more interesting things to listen to.

Pook

Only if they release more crazy videos like this:

here you go

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo55vzpL85w[/video]

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Blurs new album .. anyone excited by it !!’ is closed to new replies.