Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Blurry, out of focus wildlife picture
  • nickjb
    Free Member

best European Wildlife photograph.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-29770415

I’m not doubting the man’s skill. He’s taken some great photos but if I’d taken this one on my phone I think I’d delete it.

ampthill

I think that’s great

Cave Art!

mikey74
    Free Member

I think it’s great. It encourages you to really look t it.

There’s another one I’ve seen where someone does something similar with ships. It looks like a Turner painting.

globalti
    Free Member

Looks fine to me.

*fumbles for glasses*

bearnecessities

I thought it was a pair of Dali-esque crabs having a race.

Stoner
    Free Member

When I first saw this on the BBC news site with the headline:”antelopes wins top European wildlife photo” I genuinely thought the photo had been taken by[/b] an antelope using some kind of remote trigger/go pro mount ON an antelope. 😳

Dont like.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Did somebody smear Vaseline on his lens for a joke?

stumpy01

It makes my eyes hurt if I look at it for more than a few seconds.

Quite like it though, but ‘best photograph’….?? Hmmm, suppose a photograph doesn’t have to be a pin sharp depiction of an actual scene does it? Can be more ‘arty’, I guess.

nickjb – Member

I’m not doubting the man’s skill. He’s taken some great photos but if I’d taken this one on my phone I think I’d delete it

I wonder if he was trying to take that shot or left the camera in a previous setting, messed up the shot he was actually attempting but decided that was a keeper…..?

i_like_food

^^^ what Stoner said. Can’t see it as a winner I be honest.

johndoh
    Free Member

The idea is nice but the actual shot is pants – the animals don’t look like they are running (which is what the shot is meant to have captured) it just looks like camera shake.

I really don’t like it at all.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Beautiful

rocketman
    Free Member

I like it. There’s blurred and there’s blurred

Jamie
    Free Member

My eyes are telling me it’s doing this…

Cougar

Typing using both hands should cure that.

GrahamS

Doesn’t work for me at all.

I get the whole “it looks a bit like a cave painting” thing, but that just seems to have been a serendipitous accident.

It doesn’t really stir any emotion in me, other than ocular confusion and a mild headache.

ninfan
    Free Member

I don’t see the relevance of African wildlife in European wildlife photography awards 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

Some of my favourite pics I’ve taken have been intentionally blurred or out of focus. It’s a fun way to take pictures 🙂

annebr
    Free Member

I like it but it’s more arty than I would expect for a Wildlife Photography competition.

chambord
    Free Member

I quite like that it’s different from all the usual wildlife shots you see and maybe because of this winning, people might be more inclined to try something more adventurous in future competitions rather than the usual squirrel eating a hazelnut.

I like the bold colours and streaks, but I don’t like the way its cropped so the legs and ears are right on the edge of the image (I don’t know whether this is the beeb cropping it to fit on the website though). Overall I think I like it, but I’m not sure 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

This is the other “blurred” photo I was referring to. i really like this one:

Anna-B
    Free Member

The ships one is gorgeous. More than just blurry. The antelopes one looks like a child made a mistake.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

My own blurry shot, Manila, Intramuros (the old spanish quarter).

I’m obviously an awesome photographer. 😈 😆

annebr
    Free Member

This is my accidental blurry photo that I really like

It’s the Blue Grotto on Malta

annebr
    Free Member

I also took this on on Malta but it’s blurry deliberately

Stoner
    Free Member

Step aside people. I’m an artist and I’m not afraid to abuse it…

njee20
    Free Member

This:

It doesn’t really stir any emotion in me, other than ocular confusion and a mild headache.

and this:

I like it but it’s more arty than I would expect for a Wildlife Photography competition.

Out of interest, is the photographer actually any good, ie was this all about intentional composition and what not, or is he just a bit shakey and couldn’t afford a tripod?

redthunder
    Free Member

My blurry Swallows 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pzs7vG]Swallow[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pRRevX]Swallow[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

CountZero

I think that’s great

Cave Art!
    He was on TV the other evening, and the effect was deliberate, with cave art the intended inspiration. He said that he knew he’d got the shot he wanted before he checked it on the camera screen. It is entitled ‘Living Rock Art’ which gives a bit of a clue…

ninfan – Member
    I don’t see the relevance of African wildlife in European wildlife photography awards

Maybe if you actually realised that the ‘European’ part refers to the photographer, rather than the subject…

Stoner
    Free Member

He said that he knew he’d got the shot he wanted before he checked it on the camera screen. It is entitled ‘Living Rock Art’ which gives a bit of a clue…

Every fluke needs a good back story 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Agree Stoner – us creatives call this sort of stuff ‘post rationalisation’…

GrahamS

> is the photographer actually any good, ie was this all about intentional composition and what not.

> He was on TV the other evening, and the effect was deliberate

The quotes in the BBC article suggests something slightly different:

He said capturing the shot was “difficult” involving slowing down the shutter speed to capture the movement and having to pan smoothly as the antelope ran past.

As he stepped down from his vehicle there was a loud crack as his ankle turned in a hole causing him to collapse in a heap.

“When I looked up, the antelope were still coming so I grabbed my camera, locked my focus on them and fired off a couple of shots as they stampeded past.
    I actually hadn’t envisaged that the result would so closely resemble Bushman rock art.

That doesn’t sound planned to me – it sounds like he planned to do a pretty standard pan-with-slow-shutter-for-blurry-background type thing (as used in many MTB mags) but then he fell over. 😆

So he rattled off a few shots and decided one of the blurry ones looked a bit arty.

badllama
    Free Member

TBH when I first saw it I though it was a blurred shot of two flying ducks 😀

The problem with the BBC quote is the complete statement is bollocks as the pan itself is top left corner to bottom right or the other way round either way he was not panning.

I go for the falling over with slow shutter speed myself. 😆

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i don’t like it….but i admire him for capturing pictures after suffering a loud crack in his ankle, I mean,..i’d have been rolling around in agony…effin n a jeffin…

makes a great story…probably a smattering of BS in there somewhere…IMHO.

molgrips
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/icGB4P]Untitled[/url] by molgrips, on Flickr

Philby

Don’t like it at all – seen hundreds of better wildlife photos at the annual Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition.

footflaps

There this whole movement called ICM (Intentional Camera Movement) eg

From http://martin-ley-photography.co.uk/

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Blurry, out of focus wildlife picture’ is closed to new replies.