• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Blurring the lines…
  • Paul-B

Been reading a few different threads about CX bikes/Gravel Bikes/Road Bikes that can take off road tyres/29er MTBs with road tyres and just about every other possible permutation. For the 1st time in my cycling life I’m totally confused and that comes from someone who has seen mountain biking grow from a sport where one bike would do everything to what it is today.

Anyhow, back to the point.

The threads mentioned previously have started sparking a little interest, especially as I haven’t had a bike build project for nearly a year or so!

My current stable consists of a Stanton Switchback ‘gnarpoon’ hardtail (having shunned all this carbon 160mm FS b0ll0cks), an old (2010) Orange Crush 26er (that if I’m honest is too small for me) which only now gets used with a baby seat for my 18 month old daughter and a Genesis Aether road bike that just sits on a turbo trainer at the moment.

I keep eyeing up the Orange and can’t help but think it’s kind of a waste in it’s current guise and with the Switchback as my main MTB (I love it too!). The Genesis has also served me well in the past as a commuter and for general purpose road riding but I’m no roadieand I find it a little harsh on the generally sh1t roads around rural Staffordshire!

So, getting to the point, I look at these new generation of gravel bikes etc and think to myself that they look like just the thing to fulfill the purpose of both the Orange and the Genesis. I also live very close to Cannock Chase so mixed surface riding is the majority of what I do. There’s so much choice though these days, where the hell do you start??? what are the key differences between CX bikes/gravel bikes? Why wouldn’t you just run a 29er mtb frame with slicks? What’s the deal with road bikes that can take big tyres? Isn’t that just a gravel/CX bike? What fits what? I could buy a frame, what gearing to use? MTB cassette with a road compact chainset? 1×10 CX gearing? Only thing I can say is that disc brakes would be a desire.

Basically I want a good all round bike, that’s comfortable and quick on the road but can take some off roading (just fire roads etc. I’ve got the Stanton for proper off road kicks). The two bikes mentioned have some reasonable bits on them should I do a build (I can e-bay the bits I don’t use)

Maybe I should just forget about it and ride what I’ve got but I’m still interested in the differences between all these different types of bike

Cheers

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Doesn’t a £240 Voodoo Marrassa fit that bill, with a tyre upgrade?

digger95
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at cross bikes recently as have a similar desire for a bike that can do mostly road and a bit of off road.
    The planet x Viner strada Bianca, currently full carbon frameset for £1k, has been tempting me. I think the main difference of a gravel bike to road or cx is longer chainstays and slacker head angle – longer wheel base. Note it has a 142mm rear hub like new mtbs.
    “Why wouldn’t you just run a 29er mtb frame with slicks?”
    You could. I do this for my commuter. I guess the reason not to is if you want drop bars you need a shorter top tube than a mtb, so there is enough stem to slow the steering.

jekkyl

Why wouldn’t you just run a 29er mtb frame with slicks?

This is where I’m at. I just can’t see the benefit of a cross bike over a decent hardtail, espicially as I don’t get on with drop bars at all. I’d much rather have the control that comes with wider flat bars for those times I’d be taking it through the woods… how often would you use the drops? I suppose if you’re intending on mostly road with just a little off-road drops might make more sense but I’m the other way around.

Paul-B

It’s more of a road bike that’ll do a bit of off-roading I’m after so drop bars are where it’s at. Flat bar road bikes are yet another variant I’m rally not sure about! I have a nice Stanton hardtail for proper offroad duties (it’s amazing what that thing will do but that’s for another thread!)

I live about 5 miles from Cannock Chase so I’m often on the road or canal tow path. I’m totally fine with the compromise of the MTB on big tyres if I’m going on a proper off road ride. Sometimes though you just want to hit a bit more road/back lanes/fire roads to bang out some mileage and enjoy the countryside. Commuting is a bit of a step too far these days as it’s nearly 50 miles each way to work!

D0NK

how often would you use the drops?

a lot! anytime the trail goes downhill, any time it gets technical, anytime you wanna get your head down and pedal. Hoods default, drops as above, tops for just chilling.

Yes it’s road bike that’ll do a bit of offroading but that “bit” is very probably a heck of a lot more than you think it is.

Paul-B

So any recommendations on what kind of things I should be looking at? I’m going to be on a tight budget. Would be looking to sell the road bike and 26er but there’s not going to be much value in them…unless I buy a frame, fork & wheels and cobble together the rest and sell the parts I don’t need.

I do love a project…

garlic
    Free Member

I haven’t got recommendation for a particular bike but things to look out for when buying a new school CX is a longer front-centre and 47mm+ offset forks. The longer front gives you enough clearance to minimise toe overlap and the 47mm offset give you quicker steering to compensate for the longer wheelbase (over a standard CX frame) and the fatter tyres. I haven’t seen any designs that use true 2.1″+ 29er tyres that are compatible with road chainsets as there isn’t enough tyre clearance at the rear when using a 68mm BB + short chain stays. There’s a few 73mm bottom bracket CX bikes out there but they limit you to using an MTB crankset, so also limit your riding. There’s a few dedicated ‘adventure bikes’ (off road tourers) with very long wheelbases out there though I’ve heard they’re not exactly spritely.

Paul-B

Thanks for the info, I think I’m going to start with looking at CX bikes and see where that takes me.
    I think buying a full bike makes more sense rather than trying to use components I have around me thanks to the ‘standardisation’ going on in the bike industry!

Gunz
    Free Member

Probably not the bike you’re after but I love my Surly Cross Check simply because it provides a different riding experience so I can understand your desire for a change. I’ve fitted bigger Surly Knard tyres to mine and it’s great fun on fireroads, making them laugh out loud fun. I know there’s much better tools for the job but it just makes me smile and also doubles as pretty decent tourer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Blurring the lines…’ is closed to new replies.