Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Blur, Zesty or Orange…decisions decisions
  • currymad
    Free Member

Hi everybody,

I have decided on a 140mm travel bike for normal trail riding and have narrowed it down to these 3:

SC Blur LT2
    Lapierre Zesty
    Orange 5

Is there any strong reasons for choosing one over the others ( durability, customer service,depreciation,etc) or is it simply down to personal preferences and cost?

Would really appreciate any opinions, cheers.

pstokes99
    Free Member

simply down to personal preferences and cost?

Can’t really go too far wrong with those options. I test rode a 5 and loved it, but bought a zesty because it was equally good and (at the time) something a bit different. Never regreted my decision once – but suspect I’d feel the same had I bought the Orange.

Only ‘issue’ with Zesty is the BB – never caused me a problem but there are a number of threads on here.

Kato

I recently bought a Zesty and love it. Not ridden either of your other options though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    transporter13
    Free Member

the five is proven to be an excellent bike..minimal issues with the frame over the years.
    SC are very good other than the sizing….you’d be best to test ride one to see if you prefer the medium or large.
    Lapierre has more pivots etc that can go wrong..cost more to put right but that said,ive not seen any needing replacing yet though. I have heard the odd one or two cracking though

It all comes down to whether you can justify the extra for british marque

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I’d say for durability the Orange Five would be the best of the bunch (tho you’ll no doubt get other opinions on here). I’m on my second Five and have never had any problems with ’em – there’s not much to go wrong with ’em really. I’ve also contacted Orange a few times over the years with non-warranty technical queries, and I have to say they’ve been very helpful and honest with their advice.

Before getting my current Five, I had a test ride of the latest Zesty. I really liked the Zesty and IMO, it’s handling & character were so close to the latest Five that it was really only the durability issue that decided it. After speaking with a couple of people about problems with Lapierre and their UK distributor, I went for the Five.

Not ridden the Blur LT, but see enough ‘old’ Blurs and other SC’s to suggest that the frames are pretty durable.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

You’ll find loads of opinions on Zestys v’s 5s on here. Here’s my 2 pennies worth:

5: hyped but will completely deliver the goods. Strong, really versatile (can take 160mm up front and bash guard for Alps etc). Hold their value really well. Only downside is little bit heavier than a Zesty but not by much. Also you may find the sizing a little annoying if you are tall – lots of people seem to be between a 18″ and 20″. Spec on the lower model isn’t up to much, definitely get the Pro version.

Zesty: Heard a few too many issues of them snapping for me to be completely confident if I was heavy but it’d probably be fine for most. (Spoke to guy working at Bike Treks in Ambleside who said they’d had a few come back with cracked swing arms from heavier riders). For the money though they are spot on, bit annoying you don’t get a fork with bolt thru until you are into the mid range more pricey models. Graphics are a bit tarty this/next yr too.

Blur: Not ridden a LT2, only the classic (2005 model before LT2 & XC). Great but more maintenance involved – just overhauled a Classic and it wasn’t much fun or cheap. Prefer look of 5.

If you do switch bikes now and then, bear in mind the 5 will hold it’s value very well compared to a Zesty. SC will be alright too mind.

If you’ve the money Id get the 5 frame or Pro build. Or completely change your mind and realise how good the Heckler and ST4 is even with 120mm!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 Zesty 714. Its carbon and very light weight which is something of a plus when compared to a Orange. Relentless on the down and very easy on the ups a great trail bike with superb geometry. I wanted a do it all bike for trails without the weight penalty to thrash along the trails. I am still amazed on the down hills at how fast it is whilst being utterly stable.

15mm bolt through on front, tracks like a dream with 2.35HR 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

What Zesty would you be looking at though?

I bought a 214 and upgraded it but if buying again would get a 514 or even 714, the all-alloy frame is a bit heavier than I would ideally like.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

If you’ve the money Id get the 5 frame or Pro build.

Yep, good advice. My LBS did me a bit of dosh off a Five frame, then I built it up with a mixture of Merlin/CRC discount parts and used/2nd hand stuff. Basically ended up with SE spec for just over £2k, well..er…OK, maybe just over £2300..ish! (cough…don’t tell my wife 😉 )

currymad
    Free Member

Excellent, really informative – thanks for all that info guys (and gals perhaps..)

I’m 6 ft tall, and have a Genesis Altitude 19 ” with 600mm eff. top tube which feels good, and recently picked up a Trek EX9 frame with a virtual tt of 19.5 (actual 18.5) which feels a bit long- 627 eff. tt .

I’ve heard the Blur is quite short, but not sure about the others. I have compared the geometry of each, but the actual size doesn’t always result in the perfect fit – there seems to be something/s more which influence overall fit.

Lots of reasons for the Orange I guess, being British and having good customer service, and great write-ups for UK terrain.

Any views on sizing would also be really useful, overly short high or long for example.

Thanks again

wl
    Free Member

Defo the Five. Nowt to do with being British or hand-built, just the best all-rounder in your list.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Yeah, if you are spending 2200 on a bike, you want more than a cheap rockshox, hubs and gears. The trade price for Orange stuff is high so you’re lucky to get much money off, helps it keep a good second hand value though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Presume you’ll be trying them all out though?

Best to if you can, but if not – what sort of riding are you planning to do?

jedi

bottlerocket?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

If you’re 6ft you’ll probably be spot on with an 18″ Five. It’d be a choice between a Heckler and 5 if it was me and if you want a bike that can take some punishment in the real world I’d go for the 5.

currymad
    Free Member

Riding will be in South Wales mostly – normal trail riding and xc, but am looking for a bike with the ability to cope with a bit more as my riding improves.

I will ride each one before taking the leap, but now will be able to make a more informed choice knowing what I know.

Blower
    Free Member

the fashion at the mo is the 5.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Amazing, now everyone loves the 5. When I asked about them in August everyone slagged them off.
    I got one anyway & am sooo pleased I ignored the ‘slaggers’.

currymad
    Free Member

and your point blower?

Is it not as good as it’s popularity deserves, in your opinion?

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Hey there Currymad, I’m 6’1″ (34″ inside leg..oo-er missus, and all that!) and am running an 18″ frame Five with either an 80mm or 70mm stem – depending on what I’m riding. I find the top-tube is spot on with both these stems, tho I find the 80mm with low risers is more XCey.

FWIW, my wife has got a Trek EX8 (mens version) in the 18.5″ size – which I ‘borrow’ on occasion. With the original 100mm stem the Trek we both felt super stretched out, it’s now got a 70mm on which is loads better. I had a demo ride of a 19.5 EX9 back in March and remember feeling uncomfortably stretched out – in fairness, the guys at the Trek demo tent said it’d be too big.

Always good to get a demo if you can.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Perhaps consider if you’ll be over-biked with a 5, it’ll obviously give you loads more confidence to take on tougher trails faster but ask yourself if you actually need the travel. I see people around trail centres on 140mm bikes not because they need them but because apparently that’s what a ‘trail centre’ bike is. A great 120mm bike like an ST4 could be faster overall if you do ride a lot of XC. – Just a thought.

chakaping
    Free Member

Reason I asked is that the Zesty has a very firm pedalling platform thanks to its suspension design.

This makes it ride faster than you’d expect for it’s weight and travel.

Geometry is great and the bike feels really well balanced, easy to drift and catch, jumping feels natural etc.

However when I take mine to the Lakes I find the firm suspension can sometimes make it feel a bit skittish on the rock-strewn trails up there.

This may partly be down to the basic Float R shock with full-time Propedal – so higher models with RP2 or RP23 may feel better.

Also I think they’ve switched to a higher volume air can in 2011, which may help it get into it’s travel quicker and make it feel more plush.

So, erm, that’s probably not very helpful actually – but I thought I’d say anyway as I’ve been thinking about it this week.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Definitely either the 5 or the Blur LT. I have a LT2 (albeit a carbon one) and love it! Older gen VPP Santa Cruzes were pretty high maintenance and needed regular bearings, but the new ones are MUCH better. The bearings are now better suited to side-loads than before, better sealed, grease ports on the lower link bearings, an included grease gun and grease to exploit them, and a lifetime warranty on bearings to boot. I have had mine since last october and have never had a creak, a rattle, or needed to touch it with an allen key. Sizing is a little tricky, so I ended up on a large whereas i’m usually a medium kinda guy, but give one a try if you can and you’ll be impressed!
    The 5 is also nice. I used to ride a sub-5 quite a bit and the new one is a sight better put together, plus I have an 07 224 which is still going strong, so have nothing but praise for the steeds from Halifax…
    Not a fan of Lapierres at all. Pretty much just a mbuk fad brand as far as i’m concerned, and though popular, seem wrought with issues…

currymad
    Free Member

sparkingchains – I am hoping to have acouple of bikes..keep the hardtail Altitude or a dedicated 100-120 xc full suuser and the trail/am 140 travel bike.

Greedy I know, but can’t help myself!

fattatlasses – cheers for that re.sizing. I have put a 50mm stem on the EX9 and still feel a bit stretched out, which backs up what you say. Will be selling the EX9 once I’ve decided on the best bike/s combo.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I had my heart set on a 5 Pro, until I wlaked into Twelve50 bikes in frodsham and seen what CUBE have to offer. They did have Zesty’s too but putting the hype of Orange aside I thought the CUBE Stereo Race delivers more kit for the money. XTR mech, 150 TALAS Fits, maxles front and rear etc for about £300 less.

Been out on it four times now and it doesn’t bob under crank load one bit, beautifully built and every third bike I pass isn’t one either, can’t recommend the bike or Twelve50 bikes enough.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Ah, good stuff, you’ll be sorted then.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

XTR is a waste of money and you’ll and a talas is a reliability issue waiting to happen but I’ve heard nothing but praise of Cube as a brand.

rewski
    Free Member

currymad – I went through the same dilemma last year, I test rode both Blur and Zesty 514, I discounted the 5 purely on looks, I know, I know, but if you going to spend best part of 3k you’ve got to like looking at it. Anyway, I’d just like to say the the Zesty just made me smile and still does, it’s very very fast up and downhill, get some mud x’s on this time of year and it’s still a very lively bike, the blur didn’t leave that much of an impression to be honest, a different day and it may of. No regrets buying the Zesty, the only regret I have is that I don’t get to ride it as much as I want to. The 2011 spec 714 is pretty amazing if you can stretch to it.

currymad
    Free Member

skidsareforkids – that’s interesting as I have a friend in the US who is trying to convince me to get the LT2 Carbon frame! The price in the US with current exchange rate is about 30% less than here and not that much more than a new Orange 5 frame…hence this post !

chakaping – you also said about the Zesty 514 or 714 for better ride quality of carbon. Do you think the extra outlay is worth it, and if a good carbon frame is available for almost the same price as aluminum as explained above, is it a no brainer?

si-wilson
    Free Member

Can i suggest the Chumba VF2? Similar to to the three short listed. £2250 with a good spec. Sorry if you have already ruled it out.

See here for full spec.

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/vf2_build_kits.html

oxnop
    Free Member

I had a 09 Five AM in bling build guise and now have a carbon LT. The SC is in a different class.

I have just built the GF a Carbon Meta 5 (she had a LT2 before) and she said it descends as good if not better than the LT2! So might be worth considering?

chakaping
    Free Member

chakaping – you also said about the Zesty 514 or 714 for better ride quality of carbon.

No, just that the 514 and up are a good deal lighter (and have better shocks).

I don’t have enough experience of carbon MTBs to say if they ride any better because of the material – although I suspect there may be some benefits.

currymad
    Free Member

oxnop – pleeeease…my head is already exploding with choices and decisions! But good to hear about the Blur LTc.

I’m slowly narrowing it down to the Orange and Blur.

The new Orange Blur and Zesty have tapered head tubes – does anybody think it is worth going for a frame solely for that feature to ‘future proof’ it, or perhaps pick up a bargain 2010 one with standard steerer?

thanks again for all the advice… it really is a great forum and way to get hands on advice 😀

mendip
    Free Member

Orange Five 8)

I test ridden one 2 weeks ago at Afan, brilliant bike on the White’s Level trail, it was like sitting on an armchair compare to my steel hardtail.

Blower
    Free Member

Currymad… just that really,it is the current favourite at the moment..
    cant go wrong with one really,but not what i’d choose personally.

Bregante

Any reason why you prefer the LT2 over the Heckler. Personally I would think that would be a good comparison to a single pivot bike like a 5. Bargaintastic at 900 quids too.

roblane65
    Free Member

1) you really don’t need 140 for “normal trail riding” a well fettled 120 will do you better.if you like a bit of jumping or heavy rocky decents maybe.
    2)there’s nothing quite like a VPP bike so try and get a demo bike it’s a good idea before splashing tha much cash,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Zesty for me.

Had a Blur before, and they are an acquired taste with the VPP system, I liked it on a bigger DH bike, or riding my Blur in that sort of environment, but for anything else it was very numb & just a bit dull.

The 5 I tried I just couldn’t get on with, and its a lot of cash.

I ended up with the Zesty partly because I could get one on a very very good deal, but it actually rode the nicest as well.

Could have gone for a carbon one, but decided not to in the end, again personal preference.

You need to ride them all to make a decision.

TheFopster
    Free Member

You’ll make your own mind up, of course, but FWIW I went for a Zesty with alu frame (budget stretched to the max abd carbon etc. out of my league…) and so far it’s been brilliant. No issues at all, rides superbly and is far more competent than I am…

What was it they used to day – overpaid, over-biked and over here? No – that was about the yanks so must have been about Santa Cruz. 🙄

Northwind

When I tested the 2 back to back the Lapierre was the clear winner (514 vs equivalent priced Orange, whatever that was at the time)- just as good on the descents, better on the climbs, better overall spec. But the Lapierres seem to be less good value than they were. Still better than the equivalent Fives IMO, they give solid wins on brakes and wheels and everything else is comparable.

Quite a few of the Five models still have really crap spec choices. Not talking about cheap here or bad value, just inappropriate. Cheap non-spider cassettes on pro 2s, maxle lites in Hope hubs, stuff like that. Skinny cheap rims on expensive hubs. The Lapierres tend to have better thought out specs, it’s more in line with what most people would build themselves IMO. Can’t tell me anyone with a brain would chose 317s on Pro 2s for a £2800 own build. So that’s a black mark for me.

But they were both brilliant, and I can’t see anyone regretting buying either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Blur, Zesty or Orange…decisions decisions’ is closed to new replies.