Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • Blur TRc owners talk to me
  • boxxer7
    Free Member

Going to be looking for a new frame sometime after April and with the arrival of the new aluminium version TR it will just about fall in to budget. I’m currently riding a Mk1 mega, as good a bike it is I’ve been finding it a chore to ride lately, I’m finding I grab my Charge Blender and have just as much fun getting bounced about. So I think I can have more fun with less travel.

When I bought it I was doing quite a few uplifts in various places getting up to Wales, but I’m spending a lot more time at local trails down south. The mega is pretty long so it’s not great on tighter trails. But I love how slack it is and that its a really great bike when the speeds get up. It also jumps well which is good.

So I’m after something similar, and the blur TR looks like it might be my cup of tea. Slack, less travel to wallow about, long enough and much lighter so hopefully much easier to climb on. I still want a bike that’s good for uplift days and also for somewhere like Afan and even the Alps so a pretty big variety of riding.

So the questions are

How have people got on with their TRc’s and what bikes have you come from?
    How well does it jump?
    How well does it climb?

I have looked at the Mega TR too but with np having upped the price and by the time you add a CCDB air to that as well it price puts it into similar territory as the SC. (yes it’s £400 cheaper :-p) but the SC has a 5yr warranty rather than 2.

Other suggestions welcome!

Jeffus
    Free Member

Blur Tr video

Had my Trc for about 2 months ,

So far getting on well with it , I have a Butcher also before that Orange 5 , Heckler ,Nomad , superlight , Trek remedy 9, Giant reign ……
    Jumps well , the slightest pump and it seems to leave the ground, still adjusting to it, but they really do fly.
    Climbing is good mine is a bit slack at the moment running my fork at 150mm which has spoilt the handling , had a Float 36 set to 130 to begin with and that was awesome (borrowed it of my Butcher)
    really loads of traction and grip , the best I have felt, its only my fitness that holds it back but you can feel the bike shoot forward when I can attack a climb on the trail , the best part is how they rail corners again scares the poop out of me how fast , thats down to the lowwer BB and howthe bike drives into the corners.
    Some people moan about the low BB but I’ve had no problems ,

The alloy tr looks good and only a bit heavier , very nice bike,
    guessing mine is around 26lb ish.

boxxer7
    Free Member

That is very nice! Low BB isn’t too much of an issue the Mega also has a low bb about .5″ higher than the TR.

I’m liking the sound of it being keen to leave the floor!

Stevelol
    Free Member

They jump quite well, very light and poppy which I wasn’t expecting from a vpp bike coming from a single pivot (Covert)

I bought mine for exactly the same reason that you’re suggesting. I rode my ht (Sovereign) loved the geo and weight but wanted rear suspension. My Covert also felt overkill for the trails i actually ride.

The geo on the TR is hilariously fun, after literally five mins of riding I noticed the low bb and wheelbase, it feels like a knife through butter through rocks, which is puzzling at first due to the amount of travel and low weight, but I really felt little difference compared to my Covert. Its extremely stiff which I think comes from the large bb area, again, from the first pedal stroke it felt like my ht as it accelerates very quickly. The bb a is low so you’ll have to adjust your pedaling and look ahead more especially when climbing.

Obligatory pic

Jeffus
    Free Member

Here it is with 36’s and Flow Ex wheels it tracked amazing with this set up (wheels n fork of my Butcher 😀 )

boxxer7
    Free Member

Jeffus which set up are you currently running? I’ve got flows on pro 2s at the moment which I’m planning to re use but I’ve no idea what forks to go for! Currently running 55 rc3 Tis but they’re out of the question on a TR!

simonbowns
    Free Member

Just bought one, having fallen in love with our demo bike (which we’ve just sold – that prompted my purchase!)

Only got a frame so far, can’t wait to build it up. 130mm fork imho.

Jeffus
    Free Member

top pic boxxer , Float 32 150 Rlc taper , will adjust them to 130-140 for quicker steering and better climbing, wheels are Hope Hoops Crest rims, did a 3′ to flat by mistake today, and all was well 😳
    the set up with the 36’s and flows was temperary til I bought new wheels n fork, if it was my only bike I think I would have left it with these fitted , it rides amazing in this set up, i love my 36’s had them for 4 years. Got my Butcher if I want a bit more skill compensation 😀

boxxer7
    Free Member

A butcher as well! Thinking 140 revs or maybe some fox 34s or Xfusion Slant seem to be the options not keen on foxs prices they’re eye watering!

v10
    Free Member

Mine is the best bike ive ever owned… and ive had more than my fair share!

boxxer7
    Free Member

V10 I’m assuming your either an ex DH’er like my self or its your other bike?

v10
    Free Member

Used to do a lot of DH but much less now – TRc is my main bike nowadays.

wrecker
    Free Member

My LTc is the best bike I’ve ever ridden, but I’ve not had a go on a TRc!
    I’m completely sold on SC carbon. Jungle need to sort their prices out though, got mine abroad.
    The new white TRc does it for me.

SOAP
    Free Member

Toying with the idea of a Tr or a Bandit to replace my Pitch this year.

Jeffus
    Free Member

boxxer , managed to get my Fox fork of CRC for £349 they still have some 130’s left for £439 😀 , I was about to buy a set of RS Revs then saw the Fox 😀 just been out to my work shop found a 20mm spacer so my job for tomorrow ,, we are supposed to have heavy snow in the morning ..
    Butcher is also a great bike climbs great for a 6 ” bike mine is around 31lb and is also quite poppy , the Butcher is a medium and my Blur is a large , I’m 5′ 9″ and a bit so betwen the sizes , Blur is for more Xc riding , Butcher for more aggro 😀

boxxer7
    Free Member

As long as people buy the carbon ones the prices aren’t going to be coming down anytime soon, I’m definitely going to be going the aluminium route, there doesn’t seem to be much difference in weight either.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Prices are bonkers nearly £2900 with Kashima shock 😯

Carlos45
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for a yr now. Previous bike was a Scott Genius 20. Gotta say the TRc is one heck of a bike…….I’ve never looked back…

photo.JPG by Doncarlos45, on Flickr

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Jungle need to sort their prices out though,

Compared to?
    US Price is $2700 With Float CTD or $2900 Kashima
    $2700 is £1709 (today)
    add 14% Import Duty
    £1948
    add 20% VAT
    £2337

UK RRP on the frame is £2599 allowing £262 for shipping, handling, demo fleets, warranty, currency fluctuations etc.

For the sake of £262 I’d buy in the UK. Of course you can buy form the states and try and evade tax but thats just plain illegal.

The biggest problem is the £ is rubbish not people screwing you over.

Personally eyeing up the TR looks great.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

add 14% Import Duty

Import duty is 4.7% on frames IIRC so it’s £450 difference. 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fair enough was using the bike rate, still more than the lazy convert $/£ an scream rip off price most come up with.

Tax is the biggest difference in the end.

Ewan
    Free Member

5% import on components isn’t it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not sure on components but it’s 14% on bikes.

fathomer

What are the weight differences between the Alu and Carbon, I thought I’d read it was quite a bit?

I demoed a carbon and loved it, of the few fs bikes I’ve ridden it was easily the best going up hill. Unfortunately I can’t justify the price of a carbon one and they never seem to come up second hand.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Components are 4.7% & it’s complete bikes at 14%. Frames count as a component so if you find one at a discount snap it up. I bought my Nomad in the US & shipped it over & saved £500.

Back on topic – what about a Blur LT? Bit beefier than the Trail..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

missus got the LTc and loves it, just finished a 2 day 100km race on it and loved it. Capable in both directions.

wrecker
    Free Member

For the sake of £262 I’d buy in the UK. Of course you can buy form the states and try and evade tax but thats just plain illegal.

Good job I bought from the EU then eh?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Good job I bought from the EU then eh?

Fair enough.

Stevelol
    Free Member

fathomer – I’ve read the weight difference is 2lbs.

chakaping
    Free Member

mikewsmith – you seem to think the UK distributor pays US RRP for its bikes?

wrecker
    Free Member

Import duty is 4.7% on frames IIRC so it’s £450 difference

So that’s an extra £450 of margin? 😯

fathomer

Stevelol – Member

fathomer – I’ve read the weight difference is 2lbs. Not insignificant if that’s right then!

kinger

After years on various Yetis, I love my TrC – best thing is that it feels almost like 2 bikes as light and fast enough for local flat singletrack xc type riding, but still feels super capable with saddle down when doing more adventurous riding.
    Yupm the carbon one is super expensive but then it’s the best bike I’ve had! I picked up one of the lower link protectors from mtbr as some kind of downtube protection.
    Have gone upto 140mm forks after starting on 130mm, and run 1×10 with a 50mm Renthal stem – it’s faster than me for sure 🙂

boxxer7
    Free Member

It’s sounding like I might be on to a winner here! And you guys are making me want the carbon one!

v10
    Free Member

Stu can you send me a link to the link protector, can’t find it and mines getting smashed!

You won’t regret it Boxxer, fork wise I’ve settled on revs set at 140mm. Was lightning on single track with Sid 120s but they were the first part of the bike to feel out of there depth when things got more rowdy. Revs at 150 made it feel a little bit wayward.

Only complaints are that it eats shock bushings and shock bolts. The later probably because I forget it’s only 125mm quite regularly 😀

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s a big weight difference – 4.69 lbs for the carbon vs 6.58 for the alu Tr. If I was being cynical I’d wager that the weight of the alu version was unnecessarily high. It certainly makes the TRc look like the better prospect, anyway.

The difference between my alu Yeti ASR5 and the carbon equivalent is only 0.5lbs, by way of comparison.

br
    Free Member

guessing mine is around 26lb ish.

I’m guessing its more.

v10
    Free Member

Ace, cheers fella 🙂

26lb probably isn’t a million miles off, mines 24.2 with pedals and I’ve had it on a few scales..

boxxer7
    Free Member

V10 any pics of yours?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Blur TRc owners talk to me’ is closed to new replies.