Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • BlueRay player
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

I am getting a nice new TV in the January sales.

I can get the BlueRay player now and would like to watch Blue rays on my current CRT TV. Do do they usually have scart connections or are they HDMI only?

grantway
    Free Member

Your New DVD player should have a HDMI socket same as your new TV
    so yes go into that socket.

glenh
    Free Member

You can't transmit HD TV over scart, but some might have component video (3xphono) sockets which you might be able to use.
    You'd have to set the resolution to something your Tv could handle (ie not probably not HD, but many blueray players probably won't downscale below 720 lines (PAL is 576).

GTDave
    Free Member

Wait until you get the TV, and buy the BluRay player in the January sales. 😉
    None (apart from a few very early models when BlueRay was introduced) have SCART anymore. I would guess it's unlikely that your CRT TV has component inputs either.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I'd say wait as well. It's likely that you will get a better deal if you are going to buy a TV/Blu Ray at the same time. It's not like you'll see any difference over a normal DVD anyway.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Blueray player or PS3??

GTDave
    Free Member

Dedicated BlueRay player these days. The PS3 is no longer king of the hill when it comes to BlueRay playback.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ps3 never was 'king of the hill' but still is the most flexible solution. I do not know of another bluray player that is a powerful gaming machine and a media centre.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Thats what I was thinking, spend a couple of hundred on a dedicated blue ray or a little more on a PS3 with the gaming side of things thrown in.

ski
    Free Member

But the ps3 does seem to keep on top of the updates needed to play some of the latest Blu Ray releases.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The one drawback for me of the ps3 playing movies is the fan hum/roar but I have an original 60 gig one and I believe newer ones are much quieter.

simon_g

My slim PS3 is quiet enough to be inaudible from more than a couple of feet away.

But to answer the original question, lots (like the LG BD360) do composite output for if you must hook it up to an old TV. Not sure if that will downscale blu-ray discs though or just work for DVDs.

montylikesbeer

The latest blu ray players have streaming ability (from your pc or lappy) and they upscale as well.

LG wifi blu ray

Also make sure it has BD-Live 2.0 as a minimum for extra on line interactive content.

the_lecht_rocks

dedicated bluray player required with wireless LAN abilities for BDLive.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘BlueRay player’ is closed to new replies.