Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bluepig – burning a hole in pocket question..
  • motorman
    Free Member

Just built bike up from old FR parts. Rides great, but could do with loosing a little weight (Just like its owner).
    So, do I replace the heavy FV66 forks first (which work great although basic), or replace the sunn singletrack wheelset?
    Common sense tells me to replace the wheels first, but the bike does seem real heavy at the front end. Confused as to where to spend to maximise improvement?
    Or does any of this really matter, given that im 6’3″ & no lightweight, should I just enjoy the recycle bin bike as it is? Hmmmmm

TheSwede
    Free Member

Use the pig as a hard hitting play bike and as an excuse to splash out on a light weight xc bike.

HermanShake
    Free Member

If the wheels handle your riding/weight ok then squirt your money over the front end of the bike. Forks make such a difference immediately, I’m not sure if as drastic an effect would be noticed from a wheel change?

The Bluepig’s versatile, shave the weight to expand it’s ability.

TheSwede
    Free Member

I disagree, less rotating mass would make more of a difference. You could save a pound on lighter forks and carry a fruit cake in you’re camel back to no benefit but save a pound on a wheel set with the same cake on your back and you will feel the difference IMO. You may fold a light wheel in half though if you’re a clumsy bruiser so you may not want to listen to me.

juiced
    Free Member

just ride it and get used to it.

BadlyWiredDog

The Bluepig’s versatile, shave the weight to expand it’s ability.

Given that the frame on its own weighs about five and a half pounds, you could end up spending an awful lot of money trying to make it into something it’s not. I owned a Pig for about nine months and it is what it is, a brilliant tec bike heading down, capable of trundling uphill over most stuff as long as you can turn the pedals and a bit heavy and disinterested when not doing either of those.

Short of kitting it out with World Cup SIDs, ultra-lightweight race wheels and dry condition race treads, it’s always going to be that way and if you did go on some big-spending lightening spree, you’d probaby produce something quite horrible in the process. Mine had Flows on Pro 2 with 2.25 Ardents, both of which worked well, but it was never exactly light and sparky. It’s always going to be more Mike Tyson than Amir Khan…

I’d leave it as is, or maybe look for some secondhand Pike Air forks, which suit the frame nicely ime if you want to lighten/upgrade the front end or maybe some Coil U-Turn Sektors and just enjoy it for what it is.

mountainman123
    Free Member

You will never make a light bluepig. mine was full XT parts Spank rims and it was still over 30LB and i was running tubeless, get shut and get a lighter hard hitting frame like the 456C which is nearly half the weight, the frames only cost £399 and you get bars grips and tapered headset, so thats probably the cheapest way to loose weight.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Singletrack rims arent to bad in the weight department and arestrong so keep them. Change forks to some air pikes, save loads of weight and will suit the frame better

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bluepig – burning a hole in pocket question..’ is closed to new replies.