• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Blue Ray players – anything better than the Sony BDP-S5200
  • hora
    Free Member
    plyphon
    Free Member

2nd hand PS3,

or if you have a laptop/PC and already hook it up to your TV buy a USB blue ray drive for £40/50 quid.

hora
    Free Member

Still close to the buy price of ^ and thats secondhand (and I don’t play games!). If it was half the price I would.

jimjam
    Free Member

Have you got a blue ray collection Hora? Just seems like something that’s gonna be obsolete very soon.

hora
    Free Member

1TB Optical? Will it take off?

I’ve still got a huge DVD collection that can upscale and my DVD player is on its last legs.

Hohum
    Free Member

There is a range called Oppo, I think, that are supposed to the best at replaying blu rays, but they are very expensive.

Blu Ray is something of a success story for the consumer in that it is a standard which most manufacturers have adopted equally and thre is very little difference in terms of picture quality when replaying them.

I would buy it, but I already have one of the older ones (the 520 I think) and that serves me well.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Oppos are more money.

I bought a cheap Panasonic bluray for the MIL the other day and was surprised at how good the picture was compared to my Oppo – the main drawback was that the interface was pretty dodgy.

Sui
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    Have you got a blue ray collection Hora? Just seems like something that’s gonna be obsolete very soon.

i was just thinking this. Since i got me new TV (50″ Sony W8 🙂 ), i’ve been playing with all of it’s usefulness and must say it’s bloomin ace. Online content is brilliant with Prime, Netflix and the ability to buy from Sonydirect,+ all the others, only thing i can think of is picture/sound quality is the quality the same?

Anyway i have few DVD’s myself, so have never really looked into whether its worth getting a new DVD/Blueray player.

Slogo
    Free Member

get a ps3 a bluetooth remote and you’re away. netflix, prime. my mum has my old one and she doesn’t even know how to pick up a playstation controller or even knows its one.

andyl
    Free Member

nearly bought the 5200 from Amazon at Christmas when they were £59. Was kicking myself when they went back up.

Not thinking of getting a Samsung with the proper smart hub features but the cheapest seems to be about £99.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you have a recent Sony TV then the remote may well control your PS/3 – mine does – and th TV turns it on when I select the input with the PS/3 on it.

hora
    Free Member

£59? darn. I also feel peeved by extension at missing that.

stever
    Free Member

I like ours – most of the apps are pretty junky but Netflix & iPlayer are great. Quality great. Annoying that Sony haven’t licensed 4OD and the interface labours the point starting up ‘Connecting to Internet 1/3. Boiling Kettle 2/3. Almost Done 3/3’ Then makes you click a ‘Done’ button. WE DON’T NEED TO KNOW.

CountZero

Highly unlikely, any more than DVD, CD or vinyl are ‘obsolete’
    Media types like to say stuff like that, but millions of people don’t have the means to download large amounts of programming and films, plus there are still loads who just like to have collections of discs available any time they want.

Kryton57

Do all Blu Ray players play DVD’s? Our LG one keeps going wrong, and Richer Sounds have the SONYBDPS1200 Black Smart Blu-ray Player for £55.

hora
    Free Member

Kryton pay the 30 extra ^^^ whathi-fi rate them

mudmuncher

I bought one of these a few months ago.

Picture is good but it is annoying there is no play/pause button on the player. My kids are always losing the remote so you can’t put a DVD on until you find it.

Other issue is the remote doesn’t have the 1-9 abc/def/ghi type keypad so it can be slow typing things into Iplayer/youtube although you can sync your youtube account to your phone/iPad etc to control the YouTube app.

tomtomthepipersson

i’ve got one – over all it’s pretty good. The interface is a bit dull and dated – but it gives a great picture from blu ray and dvd. Netflix looks decent too and it connects to my mac mini running Plex so can stream all my ripped movies.

9.21 out of 10.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

i had a sony blu ray player, the 4200 it was good, then stopped working after 6 months. i recently bought a second hand 320gb ps3 for £60 of ebay. i dont play many games, its just going to be for media server, bluray, catchup – (bbc, itv, 4od & 5) and netflix. I use amazon lovefilm for bluray rental

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Any BR player is likely to be outputting a better picture than your TV can show, so ultimately yes…..any BR player is plenty good enough unless you’re looking for specific features. I don’t think it’s worthwhile spending a lot on a BR player these days. Just stick to a half decent brand and you can’t go wrong.

hora
    Free Member

Bought the 4200. The quality is worse than my 14yr old Toshiba DVD.

Is this right? Slight fuzz at the edges of moving people.

(HDMI cables v scart on the DVD)

Cougar

That sounds… sub-optimal.

Where are you geographically, Hora? Aren’t you one of the NW masseeve?

hora
    Free Member

That I be

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Blue Ray players – anything better than the Sony BDP-S5200’ is closed to new replies.