Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Blue didnt exist til modern times..
  • miketually
    Free Member

Colours which don’t exist in nature (pink, for example) are still real to us

Flamingos 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Woad-n’t ancient Celts know something about blue?

Drac

Someone needs to tell pigs they’re not natural. Except for maybe certain ones like Tamworths.

RustySpanner

Oh no it doesn’t….

They’re not pink, honest!
    We just see them as pink.

I just picked the link at random, btw.
    If it turns out to be a miltant pinkist/anti pinkist front, don’t blame me.

EDIT – a counterblast:
    Oh yes it does……

miketually
    Free Member

Pink doesn’t exist, it’s just the absence of green.

scotroutes

The Gaelic word gorm is nowadays translated as blue but was previously used to denote a shade of green.

molgrips
    Free Member

From Wiki:

The Welsh word glas is usually translated as “blue”; however, it can also refer, variously, to the color of the sea, of grass, or of silver. The word gwyrdd (a borrowing from Latin viridis) is the standard translation for “green”. In traditional Welsh (and related languages), glas could refer to certain shades of green and grey as well as blue, and llwyd could refer to various shades of grey and brown; however, modern Welsh is tending toward the 11-color Western scheme, restricting glas to blue and using gwyrdd for green, llwyd for grey and brown for brown.

In Old and Middle Irish, like in Welsh, glas was a blanket term for colors ranging from green to blue to various shades of grey (e.g. the glas of a sword, the glas of stone, etc.). In Modern Irish, it has come to mean various shades of green, with specific reference to plant hues, and grey (like the sea); other shades of green[vague] would be referred to in Modern Irish as uaine or uaithne, while liath is grey proper (like a stone).

Scottish Gaelic uses the term uaine for “green”. However, the dividing line between it and gorm is somewhat different than between the English “green” and “blue”, with uaine signifying a light green or yellow-green, and gorm extending from dark blue (what in English might be Navy blue) to include the dark green or blue-green of vegetation. Grass, for instance, is gorm, rather than uaine. In addition, liath covers a range from light blue to light grey.

I thought this was the case – hence Lôn Las Cymru (green lane of Wales) being glas rather than gwyrdd.

oldnpastit

So what colour were blueberries in ancient times?

And bluebells?

And are we saying that cornflowers have only been around for the last thousand years?

I call BS on this.

nickc

Blueberries are often referred to as Bilberries, and bluebells have been called fairy bells, harebells, wood bell, and fairy flowers

They existed, just called different things.

miketually
    Free Member

So what colour were blueberries in ancient times?

And bluebells?

And are we saying that cornflowers have only been around for the last thousand years?

I call BS on this.

They reflected the same wavelengths of light that they do now, but we didn’t call it blue.

scotroutes
    molgrips
    Free Member

I call BS on this.

Hence my quote – of course the colours were the same, we had different words for different groups of colours.

When I was a kid I thought turquoise and jade were both turquoise, I just called one greeny turquoise and one bluey tursoise. Then later in life I learned that one was called jade.

samunkim
    Free Member

@maccruiskeen

Pretty sure Orange was referred to as “Dark Yellow”
    Until the arrival of the actual fruit (L’Oranja) from european traders.

It kinda amuses me imagining the look on the face of the first “brit” offered one
    “It’s a what ?”
    Classic Chicken & Egg situation…

D0NK

Hmm, I was having difficulty with differentiating the green square, I did select the correct one but as the OPs link sent you to the comments and I had quickly scrolled back up the page not sure if my brain “remembered” seeing the answer picture.

Interesting stuff tho.

BillMC

Scapegoat

The other part of the chat I was having earlier is how the dog seems to sense I’m on my way home a few minutes before I arrive

Its ears are minutely tuned to your car engine, and it can hear it, and certain frequencies within it a lot further away than you can.

My wife told me one of our dogs used to go and sit in the front window looking out for me two to three minutes before I arrived. In those days I rode a Guzzi Lemans. A neighbour a few doors up loved my bike so much he went and treated himself to one, and carried out the same air filter conversion I’d done on mine. One day I was in the house and the dog sat up, looked towards the front door, then went and sat in the front window. My wife said “That’s what she does before you get home.” and sure enough a few minutes later Dennis turned up on his Lemon.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Blue didnt exist til modern times..’ is closed to new replies.