• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Blown Turbo help required please…..
  • plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

The bearings have gone on the Turbo on my 2005 Honda CRV and now I need a new one. Been quoted £1072 for the part and that’s to much. Anyone any experience of buying a reconditioned turbo and if so who do you recommend? Any help greatly appreciated.

zokes
    Free Member

You can usually get a garage to do a service-exchange, where they send your knakered one back and you get a recon one fitted.

I say usually, there weren’t enough recognisable bits of my mondeo’s to effect this.

sobriety
    Free Member

The important question is: have bits of it got free and done untold damage to the rest of the engine? 👿

zokes
    Free Member

The important question is: have bits of it got free and done untold damage to the rest of the engine?

I strongly suspect this to be the cause of said Mondeo’s demise shortly after

loddrik
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a reconditioned one. Mine just went on my touran cost me £850 to replace. The one they replaced it with blew up straight away but luckily as it was brand new it was under warranty so the second one was replaced free. No way I’d get a reconditioned one after that especially.

takisawa2

Midland Turbos, (in Nottingham I think), are highly recomended on the Galaxy/Sharran/Alhambra fraternity.

molgrips
    Free Member

Turbos are made by third parties, and the same ones are used by lots of cars. You may well be able to find something that fits, if you find out exactly what you’ve got. I swapped one on an old car and it was fine. However, that was a simple turbo without a VNT or any electronics. It is potentially a simple swap though. If you find one exactly the same it should just be a case of unbolting the old one and re-bolting the new one.

For the future – turbos are sensitive to low oil, because they have a separate oil feed to the rest of the engine I think. So running low on oil is a top cause of heat stress and failure of turbos.

Moral is – check your oil regularly (not intending to have a dig at the OP, just sharing advice)

mc
    Free Member

Try shopping around, however the japanese seem to love using turbos from manufacturers who won’t release parts for remanufacturing purposes, so the only option for a shiny one is brand new.

Other option is get a secondhand one, but that does involve risks.

Also, what caused the original one to fail?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’ve managed to get away with 2nd hand cheapies of ebay before~ I paid £15 for one once that lasted a good 30,000 miles and was still going when the bodywork died. You can also get recon kits with all the bearings etc need for a rebuild for £30-40 as long as you are a patient tinkerer.

hora
    Free Member

Salvage/write off CRV. They often come with 30days warranty so if it doesnt work…you’d know it anyway.

I sourced loads of Subaru parts from Salvage cheap.

danw117
    Free Member

find out why your turbo died is it oil starvation is it a leak on the air system both charge and drive turbos dont generaly wear out they fail due to somthing else not working properly.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

If its the CTDI engine, its a common failure. Must be places who do decent reman ones.

popstar
    Free Member

Comment about honda ictdi.

Unfortunately honda didnt fit -low oil- system sensor, so oil starvation is very common. There are cases on e-net warning about these wonders honda ictdi has.
    Honda brushes this issue with : – Manual says to do safety and simple maintenance checks everytime before you set off or at least after refuel etc**

Sorry its no help to OP.

hot_fiat

Reconditioned turbos are fine. They have two consumable parts: seals and bearings (waste gate and VGT assembly not counted). Everything else, unless you’ve ingested something and chipped a blade, will be original. The tricky bit being balancing the re-assembled rotating components.

Definitely ask why the original failed and always keep a close eye on oil level and condition on any force-fed engine. Like to rag it? Then make sure you allow it to cool off a little before you come to a halt. I give the abarth about two miles of chill out time before switching off following a high speed blast.

Karinofnine

Yeah, when I bought my Patrol the seller said it had a “new” turbo. What did I know? It didn’t blow, just stopped working, got loads of wastegate chatter and the car was gutless on hills, plus used to go into limp mode. Took it to a couple of garages, couldn’t figure it out. Took it to Wade Diesels in Hoddesdon. Expensive but sussed it in minutes. Apparently you can’t recon a Garrett turbo, or you can, but it only lasts a few months (thus is a waste of money). They stuck a new turbo on (£750, plus new oil (bloody car takes 8ltrs), labour, VAT = £1200-odd) BUT it goes like a rocket now.

Moral? For me anyhow, I’d just buy a proper, new, turbo. That way, if it f*cks up, you’ve got some proper come-back on the manufacturer. Otherwise, bin the car and start again with something else.

HTH

Just re-read this. I was intending to share information and be helpful, but it may sound a bit peremptory. Apologies, no offence intended.

hot_fiat

Garrets are usually dead easy to do ( they’re made by Americans so have to be). Was that on the 2L nissan-Renault engine that goes nuts and eats all its oil in a 9000rpm explosive finale as fitted to all x-trails?

Forget this just read the 8L sump bit

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Garret turbos are recondition able, it’s common in the tuning world to take older larger turbos off ebay or salvager, have it reconditioned for use in another car. Far cheaper than buying a new turbo. Reconditioned turbos are every bit as good as new ones, but its like every thing, depends on the workmanship. The challenge with these things is to find decent people to deal with. Here are loads of sharks out there who make big claims but fall short in reality.

zokes
    Free Member

Yup, it was a garret in my mondeo, definitely reconditionable according to mondeo forums (provided it doesn’t completely lunch itself like mine did!

BUT it goes like a rocket now.

Figuratively speaking, of course. Even the 4.2 tdis seem to make even landies look sporty…

IanW
    Free Member

Strange logic above, had a faulty new turbo so wouldn’t use a rebuild?!

Anyway, I had the turbo go on my a4(I know) last year and was ready to get rid of the car but I really like that car and stands at nothing so thought I would change it myself.

After a bit of advice on here and from a few mechanic friends I bought a recon turbo from AET Turbos in Wakefeild they were no were near the cheapest but they looked pro and came recomended. From memory it was about £600 give or take few quid and something back for the old one, they also were really helpful with advice.

Fitted it with a new feed pipe cleaned out all the intercooler pipes, new oil filters etc , actually really enjoyed doing it in the end. My gf has been using it since, put about 10k on it probably all in third gear at 4k revs, no problem so far.

Karinofnine

IanW, I said I had a faulty recon, so prefer new. Not the other way around.

It’s not the exploding 2L, it’s the exploding ZD30 engine. 3L turbo I/C. I did loads of research before I bought (but not enough, as it turns out). I couldn’t afford a newer one with the improved engine and didn’t want an older one. Long story, but Nissan know about the problem (they even make a replacement block for when the original lets go) and released a shorter dipstick so you can put more oil in. Apparently SORRY FOR THREAD HIJACK the oil galleries in the top of the engine were too narrow and not enough oil circulating quickly enough to cool the rear pistons.

Anyhoo, it hasn’t blown up yet and towed the caravan from Herts to the Scottish Borders and back without a murmur. As for goes like a rocket, ok, it’s not say a Skyline or Evo, but it’s certainly more nippy (for a car that weighs 3010 kgs) than my old Y60 (4.2 straight 6 diesel normally aspirated) or my ex’s Disco (which was a bloody dreadful car with terrifying turbo-lag).

Sorry again for thread hijack. I’m off now anyway, got to take hounds out.

IanW
    Free Member

I meant Iodricks post, wasn’t clear soz.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Blown Turbo help required please…..’ is closed to new replies.