Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Blown insulation?
  • Taff
    Free Member

My house is feeling pretty cold already even though I’ve got the heating on from when I come home until bedtime but it doesn’t seem to retain the heat very well. I’ve been around draught proofing as there were a lot of holes from the previous owner doing ‘modifications’. It’s warmer than last year but it’s not great. I’m contemplating getting the walls done as it should cost about £150-200 but have reservations about fully filling a wall [water tracking etc].

Has anyone here had it done and if so have you actually found it beneficial from a comfort point of view as well as cost reduction? I’ve only spoken to one person who’s had it done retrospectively and they said they have’t noticed much.

and to pre-empt the question I have insualted my looft with 100mm between and 120mm across.

Any feedback would be most appreciated

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

We got our house done a couple of years ago, it isn’t an old house, 16 years old this year, but we noticed a massive difference in the warmth of the house. Since we’ve have UPVC double glazing & a new boiler the house is too warm really! I can’t say we saw a cost reduction from the cavity wall insulation, but since the windows & boiler we have.

Only downside has been some window condensation on really cold days, but no issues with damp etc.

carlos
    Free Member

Are you sure your heating is working efficiently?? When was it last serviced?? As for the full cavity blown insulation, we have it and I think it does make a difference, house warms up quicker and stays warmer longer than before, not massive but noticable. Had it done on a grant scheme (the Mrs sorted it) so worked out real cheap and they did the loft too

Taff
    Free Member

The boiler is going to be serviced first and I will give it a week or so and see how it goes. The house cools far too quickly which is why I’ve been contemplating the insulation.

That’s another concern I have is the condensation. I don’t have trickle vents at the moment but if I insulate I will probably need to fit some but that’s not a biggy either really.

carlos
    Free Member

Humm if it cools quick then its definatley loss of heat rather than lack of heat. We get a bit more condensation than before but like said its no biggy. Windows are another big culprit of heat loss. Pretty safe to say it’ll better with it than without

TenMen
    Free Member

I’m debating this, as our house is old and cools very rapidly. Several neighbours have done it, and say that it stays warmer for longer. However, I live in a very damp area and am concerned about the damp traveling – after all, the cavity was there for a reason. Does anyone know much about the different materials used and how resistant they are to damp?

saladdodger
    Free Member

I had my last house done, after it was done the rooms sounded wierd but the big thing was I always had a nice cool cupboard in the kitchen for my beer until the insulation was done.

Afterwards my beer was warm 😥

yep well worth it the house held its temperature alot better

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Blown insulation?’ is closed to new replies.