Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Blowing off the rim
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Does it ever damage the rim when a wire bead tire blows off after inflating?

Inflated wife’s tires to 80psi , mid point on the sidewall pressure, 30s later huge bang blew off the rim, ripping the tire open.

Convinced the rim now appears to be oval, but that might just be running a more rugged tire now, but it’s driving me mad watching it go around

globalti
    Free Member

Why not just mount the wheel on the bike wthout the tyre and spin it to check?

Then when you refit the tyre, sprinkle talc liberally all over the bead, put some air in the tube to give it shape and pat it around in a handful of talc then re-fit. Talc is the best natural dry lubricant for rubber and it will ensure the bead seats evenly all the way round rather than sticking somewhere and that the tube settles inside the tyre rather than getting trapped between bead and rim somewhere, which may be what happened to you.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

This happened to me, brand new tyre was ruined, wheel came out of true, rim was slightly bent and bearings developed a rumble, possible they twisted in the hub! LBS sorted the rim but ended up returning the wheel because the axle didn’t spin freely.

Xylene
    Free Member

Bike is only 3 months old ladies Trek 7.2FX – will try a warrant claim this weekend when in the city.

sillyoldman

It’s most likely that the tyre failure led to the tyre blowing off the rim. Seen that plenty of times from various brands.

qwerty
    Free Member

Blowing off the rim

fnarrrr

scotroutes

Usually a symptom of a badly fitted inner tube.

Northwind

Knocked all the tension out of a wheel of mine once, pretty crazy… I wouldn’t have thought that could happen. But then I couldn’t use my hand for a couple of days either so, fair enough.

Xylene
    Free Member

Usually a symptom of a badly fitted inner tube.

I shall tell the shop that.

But then I couldn’t use my hand for a couple of days either so, fair enoug

My head was about a foot away from it as I lubed up the chain, ears are still ringing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Blowing off the rim’ is closed to new replies.