Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bloomin' Cramp
  • B_Leach
    Free Member

So I started commuting to and from work every day three weeks ago. It's taken a good 2 weeks to get up to a reasonable level of fitness and speed, however with this speed a problem has developed. the latter part of this week has had my calves cramping up without fail an hour before i'm set to get up on a morning (usually between 5 and 6am) and it fookin' hurts!

Anyone suffered from this and/or has a fix?

IamSam
    Free Member

There is a really good article in the most recent edition of the mag on crap which was an answer to my letter.

basic prevention seems to be. Stay hydrated, drink loads of water I've started adding electrolyte as I sweat quite alot. Another suggestion was drinking bitter lemon for its quinine content. Finally and probably the most effective is to start interval training, not done this as such just started to sprint up hills more often.

What I have got from this is that the main way to stop cramp is to get fitter so really is a case of MTFU.

neninja
    Free Member

At the start of the year I got shocking cramp in my left calf both during a ride and at night it would wake me up.

I tried hydration, massage etc but it was simply that I wasn't fit enough. I've not had a cramp for months now my base fitness is back up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MartinGT
    Free Member

Basic Dehydration, your muscles aint lubricated enough to move. Get water down you and on really hot days electrolytes.

B_Leach
    Free Member

was wondering how long it'd be before MTFU is uttered 😛

thankfully i'm not cramping up during rides, that'd kill me!
    i thought it was as much, i generally drink loads of water through the day and not very much during the evening. i'll try to get a pint in before i go to bed in future!

hmm… interval training… that's planned for a couple of weeks time, i'm gonna leave it till my base fitness is getting properly there!

cheers for the responses!

sparkyspice
    Free Member

SIS GO in your water bottle, for the electrolytes. Even on an all day event it stops cramping. Alternatively if you want to do it on the cheap, mix water with some orange juice 50/50 with a teaspoon of salt – as recommended by a former member of the British Triathalon Team!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bloomin' Cramp’ is closed to new replies.