Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bloody tyres – what alternatives to High Rollers?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Apologies in advance.
    Running brand new WTB Wolverines in 650b tubeless ready flavour – they tried to chuck me on the ground a few times yesterday (slightly damp/muddy) so they are going (not purely down to me crap skillz).
    I’ve used High Rollers as 26 ‘normal’ tyres before and like the weight, grip and predicability of them – good all-rounders in my eyes.
    However I think I’ll try going tubeless as I now have TR rims – what similar tyres to HR?
    Ones that sound similar are Spesh Purgatory, Minions, Hans Damph….they are so many variants even for any given tyre which makes it even more confusing. Don’t wanna pay silly money either.
    The are Spesh tyres as good as I’ve heard? Tempted especially at £30 each.
    Where I ride isn’t especially rocky if that influences things!
    Any pointers welcome…cheers.

parkesie
    Free Member

Spesh ones are good or high roller 2?

richardthird

Trigger? Try the WTBs tubeless first. You might as well. 20psi, was out with my mate yesterday on his in wet/damp/muddy he was fine.

Yes there are better tyres out there but going from tubed 30+ to tubeless -20 will probs double your perceived grip, they are a good tubeless combo so I’d defo try it before spending.

br
    Free Member

However I think I’ll try going tubeless as I now have TR rims – what similar tyres to HR?

Why not just buy HR’s, they tubeless up fine.

zelak999
    Free Member

HR2’s are TR, reasonable price if bought from Germany

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve just started using HR 2 both ends, 2.3 TR exo version from alltricks.fr. Two rides now on wet slippy greasy loam and roots. Very happy with the tyres, lots of grip on leaning over and off camber. Seems OK on the muddy bits aswell.

jimjam
    Free Member

WTB is a tolerable rear tyre for hard/dry sufaces or if you like to get loose.

chakaping
    Free Member

DHR2 60a rear and HR2 3C front is a great all-round combo.

Purgatory grid rear, Butcher control front also good but not as capable in mud IME.

Northwind

Maxxis usually tubeless up fine even if they’re not tubeless ready- good beads and lots of rubber.

If you’re used to a supertacky highroller, specialized’s rubber isn’t as sticky in the trailbike models, it’s a shame- a supertacky butcher would be awesome.

honourablegeorge

chakaping – Member
    DHR2 60a rear and HR2 3C front is a great all-round combo.

I was mulling over te opposite combo. Is the High roller really a more aggressive tyre than a DHR2? It doesn’t look it.

trickydisco
    Free Member

The are Spesh tyres as good as I’ve heard? Tempted especially at £30 each.

Switched to spesh Butcher on the front and a purgatory on the back (spesh did poach the designer from Maxxis i heard) 2.3’s came up like 2.5 minion/high roller

chakaping
    Free Member

I think the knobs are a bit taller and wider spaced on the HR2.

Haven;t tried it other way round though.

legend
    Free Member

Is the High roller really a more aggressive tyre than a DHR2?

Yup.

I should probably also point out that I had a DHR2 on the DH bike and thought it was absolutely shite. Even the half worn HR I replaced it with was considerably betterer

bluebird
    Free Member

2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar (for the rear) amd TrailStar (for the front)

http://www.bike-discount.de/ usually have good prices.

honourablegeorge

Hmm. It’s pretty marginal. Very slightly larger at the side, maybe. but less in te middle.

kilo

I had a 650b tubeless hans dampf on the rear and a hr on the front last winter and it was fine, when the saguaro comes off the rear wheel I may go back to the hans or go retro and get a panaracer fire pro tlc

rascal
    Free Member

Can’t believe I’m responding to bluebird (sorry – football related – I’m a Swansea fan – Cardiff are the Bluebirds) – Wiggle are doing these for £30 instead of £50 at the mo….seems a great price…

Tracey

My stock answer to all tyre threads are Butcher/Purgatory combo. We run them on all our bikes in all conditions. Only change them when they wear out.

rascal
    Free Member

The Hans Dampfs from bluebird’s link seem to be 63 euros plus 6 euros for posting – 69 euros = £50.
    Tenner less than Wiggle but not ordered from bikediscount.de before – simple or painful process?

mactheknife

Tracey, how have you found the purgatories in the Alps etc. I am reasonably hard on my tyres and i am looking for a rear for my new set up. The purgatory seems to tick all the boxes at the moment as Maxxis don’t do the DHR2 in anything but 3c compounds in 650b.

Saying that i might have to revisit my old love affair with On One Smorgasbords.

ajc
    Free Member

I got a hans Damph trail star 2.25 for the front as found the wolverine terrible. A 2.35 would have a horrible lightbulb profile on the 19mm rims. Wolverine is fine as a rear tyre.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

but not ordered from bikediscount.de before – simple or painful process?

Simple and quick. Tracked. 2-3 days.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

HR2, I have DHF/DHR2 but they are more draggy in the gloop. I keep them for my more DH adventures

Tempted to put DHR2 on front though, might give it a try. I find HR2 just great alrounders and clear well. I run fron @ 20psi rear @ 25psi 75kg rider

You tried http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/

de also good

bigblackshed

Minion DHF on the front, Ardent on the back.

The Minion is a bit draggy, but I prefer that and the predictable wash out, where it goes from grip to “Oi, it’s getting a bit slippy, more slippy, oh, you’re ignoring me? gone”. Than the grip, grip, gone feeling I’ve had on other tyres.

The Continental combo of Trail King front, X King rear was great for the summer, fast but to much slippage in the goop.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bloody tyres – what alternatives to High Rollers?’ is closed to new replies.