Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Bloody puncture pita
  • jamiec360
    Free Member

Out for a couple of hrs pootle on the downs link today, just before getting to west Grinstead where I planned to turn round anyway dreaded hissing from back wheel. Not a problem thinks I I’ve got a spare tube in the camelback along with one and a bit CO2 cartridges and my mini pump and some leeches in case everything goes horribly wrong.

Walk the bike the last few hundred metres to where I know there are some picnic tables rather than doing it trailside, get the wheel off, punctured tube out no problem, new tube out of the bag finish off the last of the gas in my first co2 cartridge getting tube into shape to put on…

Ahh schrader tube and silly little presta hole in the Wtb rim bugger. Try to find the hole in the punctured presta tube can’t too flat so put a wee bit of gas in from new CO2 cartridge find the hole put leech on get tube back in wheel sort out the bead back on put rest of CO2 in but as I’ve already used some of it still pretty soft. Gets the “trusty” old cannon dale pump out flips round the locking grommet in the end to Presta side put pump on, flick locking lever and the valve pin jams in letting all the gas out of the tube and none in from the pump 👿

Aha thinks I well that pumps shafted so off it goes into the trees (I did collect it afterwards don’t want the ramblers complaining) but I’ve got my shock pump I’ll be there a while but I’ll be able to limp home, no because of course all shocks have schrader valves on them don’t they!

Call mrs walk through freezing fog for 45 minutes back to where she can get the car in with lots of cyclists passing, those few that do stop don’t have one pump between them.

So, actions
    Pump in bin – done
    Schrader to presta adapter out of toolbox and into camelback (not that I’ll ever need it again) – done

Finally get round to sorting the tyres out to tubeless now to be done, got bottle of stans sealant with the bike along with pair of presta valves

Questions
    What is a good reliable backup pump?
    Will drilling a pair of wtb tcs speed rims to take schrader valves work? If yes what size drill bit and do I need to use a drill press?
    Will motorcycle schrader valves work ok? ( actually already bought a pair off eBay since I realised having 2 different standards of valve on one bike was dumb)
    Will drilling the rims screw up the preinstalled rim strip?
    Why in this day and age do we still use presta f*~<#=g valves when nothing in America where most of the stuff either comes from or I’d designed has them? And who do I slap until they realise this?

Rant over.

oldnpastit

Tubeless is ace.

Fixing punctures in the cold on your own is miserable.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Bloody puncture pita’ is closed to new replies.