Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bloody irresponsible!
  • lyons
    Free Member

Right out on a ride last nightand want some opinions on this incident… We turned down one track. Halfway down there is a bombhole, and you can sort of gap part of it, from a steep bit it goes flat, then steep again, so it's about a 6ft drop and gap. Anyway, my point is I decided not to do the gap first off, but still went quite quick, as I came over the top I saw a couple of trees had fallen across the path, so tried my best to stop, butended up ditching the bike… Only a couple of little scratches. Anyway I looked at the trees and it turns out they had been felled with chainsaws.

Well that is just plain dangerous to me, if I had jumped the gap I would have been seriously hurt, especially as they trees had fallen at the perfect hieght to break arms, and all the other things that come from hitting a tree across the chest at 15 odd mph. I mean I would have been REALLY f,ed up.

Im not happy and think the national trust should be made aware of how stupid it was to do that. BUT it was only a footpath so I shouldn't have been there. I tempted to speak to rthe area manager to have a big old moan, but that could backfire. Other thing is to say I was walking up there and saw it etc.

Is it worth kicking up a fuss?

benji_allen
    Free Member

Probably worth telling them, but you're right, you shouldn't have been there really. It's always scared me that I might end up hitting a tree. Like that bit in Dog Soldiers, where that bloke gets skewered on a broken branch.

mikey74
    Free Member

Not if you aren't supposed to be riding it – I would say leave it alone, because of the risk of further action against riders in the area.

lyons
    Free Member

Problem is, if someone else goes down there and isn't as lucky as me… We put some brances blocking the entrance to try to stop peoplegoing down there, but that isn't permanent…

JAM29er
    Free Member

🙄

druidh
    Free Member

How about you put up a big sign saying "No Cycling" then?

duntstick
    Free Member

I was out for a walk in the woods the other day with the kids on a marked footpath, when all of a sudden a bloody bloke on a bike came hurtling round the corner and leapt over a bit of a depression in the ground straight in front of us and nearly took us all out like skittles.

Fortunately the forestry people had stuck a load of logs in the way so he copped it instead of us.

What to do about these bikers…….bloody irresponsible I say!!!!!

ampthill

I'd report it. You shouldn'd have been there but that gives them no right to take action that could cause you injury. Had you been hurt and had they known that it was a regular bike route they would be in deep do do. I mean they wouldn't be allowed to set wires across the trail would they. Its fair enough to try and block a footpath to bikes but not in a way that causes danger

Dunstick. Yes we must remember that trails are usually shared use…

stumpyjon

I think ampthill is pretty much bang on. You shouldn't have been there but making the path dangerous could get them into serious trouble.

myheadsashed

Your going to fast if you cant stop for an obstacle or see far enough ahead. what would have happened if you'd encountered a couple of doggers 😯

Pierre

I tend to agree with myheadsashed – unless you're racing and the course is cleared, or you've already checked out your run and you have mates spotting it for you, you should always ride as if there might be a horse, dog-walker or felled tree just round the next corner.

: P

nickc

BUT it was only a footpath

Fail.

Now, I'm all for cheeky, but TBH, once on the cheeky, you take it as it is, you don't get to whine about it because it's not you want, OK?

Sancho
    Free Member

So let me get this straight
    youre riding in forestry comission land on a track that isnt designated a path or more specifically a bridleway.
    and you find two felled logs on the track and youre upset that someone is out to get you or is planning some kind of mountain bike trap.

I think you need to step back from your own reality and look at it for what it is (Trail obstacle)

and ride as others have said prepared for the worst.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bloody irresponsible!’ is closed to new replies.