Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bloody hell the police wrecked my bike!!
  • macmclaren
    Free Member

well nearly, infact just a bit of paint removal but i went down this morning to get my pitch pro registered and painted with a unique serial no incase some of the many nuggets in my area decide to liberate it from my shed.

Well firstly the paint didnt stick. But hey it did remove a load of the paint on the frame. Luckily it was done underbeath the top tube. Bit of helitape will stop any rustiness.

Then they re-did it with a different paint and lo and behold it worked a treat. Except the paint was not visible under UV light.

Ah well its now fully registered. Pics tsken and insured to the max.

😯

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Alu doesn't rust

Jamie
    Free Member

Bit of helitape will stop any rustiness.

*snigger*

macmclaren
    Free Member

What a numpty….oh that was me 😯 Doh

bent_udder
    Free Member

Watch out with the helitape as well. A looong time ago, I had an ATX 990 that the previous owner had helitaped all down the underside of the downtube. This was in '99, so it was pretty early days for that stuff. Anyway, it picked up rock strikes, a little moisture got under the tape, and when I removed it, there were blisters in the paint, and corrosion pits underneath them. Being absolute stars, Cycleworks in Leatherhead, my local shop at the time, and Giant UK replaced the front triangle on warranty.

The moral of the story is, be a little wary of copter tape – it might keep the nasties in rather than out…

zaskar
    Free Member

Aluminum does oxidise but takes ages.

bananaworld
    Free Member

'Actually' the time taken for aluminium to oxidise is considerably less than "ages" – it's pretty much instantaneous. Aluminium is very reactive but luckily forms it's own coat of aluminium oxide sharpish to prevent further corrosion.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bloody hell the police wrecked my bike!!’ is closed to new replies.