Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Bloody hell folk! (Classifieds moving slow)
  • preciousmetals
    Free Member

Now I have been a long time lurker and hadn’t been that long or so I joined up which may explain it.

But have noticed it’s pretty slow moving here. Seems decent kit doesn’t fetch much and that oem kit is what folk are really after for their pub/commuting run arounds.
    Igenuinely thought people on here might appreciate the finer biking kit in life.

Anyway chin up to all classified users apart from traders ( never cared for profit driven bastads )

Seems odd we allow traders on forums which are meant for fellow riding persons.

Cougar

Trading in the classifieds is explicitly banned on STW.

scotroutes

Cougar – Moderator
    Trading in the classifieds is explicitly banned on STW.

Aye, right.

To the OP – folk on here are pretty savvy about how much stuff really costs. Repeated attempts at selling stuff above or near retail are unlikely to be successful (XT8000 upgrade kit for £10 less than retail being an example)

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Ooooo really that’s funny as it’s usually a bit obvious having dug the surface.

Is it ok to name and shame.

I let one forum member know that their SC Trc had been put up on evay for a £800 or so profit as soon as he sold it on here.

Jonny rocky mountain it genuinely looks as though he’s a trader for starters.
    (Apologies if assumption incorrect)

Del

priced too high = stuff doesn’t sell. ‘finer’ kit or not. simple as.
    high end kit that doesn’t have much of a discount ain’t gonna shift – more money to risk if it’s shit, and no warranty. why bother?

scotroutes

is it ok to name and shame

You can try the Report Post button to inform the mods but IME it’s a rule to which “scant” regard is paid..

mattyfez

Lack of pictures, unrealistic prices, buy my ten year old part/bike, no pic, whatever.

No pictures will put anyone off, why would I go to the bother of emailing for a pic, if someone wants to sell something then they should at least make an effort.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

True re: warranty although I once sold a set of new deemax wheels which when 2nd buyer purchased from me sheared the rear hub flange shell off and went direct to Mavic who rebuilt wheel and sent it back to me.

I could have said no Cba to look into doing it but I had given him a new wheel in less than a week turnaround.

Guess they’re bad and good eggs, I know which one I am!

Del

oh, just looked at your history. you really are quite active on the classifieds, aren’t you?
    and that instigator?
    suggest you check what you can actually buy them for brand new. try charlie the bike monger. 😉

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Thanks Del boy, I have been the last few days week yes – but am keeping the new Surly as it looks to fun not too keep and actually ride!

Mark

Every report of trading is looked at by the Mods. One case was dealt with today that I know of. Someone claimed they weren’t a trader because they only sold stuff to sustain their biking. They were refreshed of the rules and their post was removed.
    Report them and it will be dealt with.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Ok Mark, I shall remember and think of doing so.
    🙂

Kit
    Free Member

I haven’t even been able to give stuff away on the Classifieds!

jekkyl

The wanted page is where it’s at. It seems loads of people cba to list things to sell but do peruse the wanteds.

Cougar

You can try the Report Post button to inform the mods but IME it’s a rule to which “scant” regard is paid..

Please report any posts.

As Mark says, we take all reported posts seriously. The challenge is that it’s often very difficult to differentiate between “trading” and “I have more money than brains and am constantly changing equipment” with any degree of certainty.

Often we just have to give people the benefit of the doubt as we can’t be sure, but I assure you it’s far from “scant regard” regardless of how it may appear.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I have 4x bikes three of which are full custom no expense spared and definitely consider myself a soft touch when building a nice frame up. 😀

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Im still waiting for the 26″ piglets and souls MK2 MK3 frames (duckegg or orange) to be sold…whatever happened to them, surely the owners have moved on to 29 and 650’s.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Im still waiting for the 26″ piglets

My 26″ Ti piglet will not be on sale any time soon

pk13

My piglet will never be for sale my wife would kill me. 10 mins after I built the thing up she stole it from me.

DavidBelstein
    Free Member

Brexit, innit

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Lmao brexit, you may be on to something there.

Mackem

People asking daft prices. Seen some tatty looking forks for 250 quid popping up regularly.

Kamakazie

Well priced kit always sells quickly.
    I’ve bought and sold kit for asking price very quickly.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m struggling to sell my Stumpy frame. It’s on Pinkbike, Facebook groups and here. I don’t feel like I’m asking for too much, and at the same time it’s too new to just give away.

Sold my 150mm Revs for about £130! Someone got a bargain with those! They were only about 10 months old too.

Del

as you’ve thrown it in to the discussion…
    it’s too much. it really is that simple.
    it’s not too new, either, looking at the pictures, sorry. it’s chipped in a number of places.
    you’ve thrown in a bunch of random no name spare parts with no details.
    paypal gift, so an unhappy buyer is screwed, and an extra tenner to post.

what it is worth to you, clearly isn’t what it’s ( yet ) worth to someone else, or it would have gone.

stevied
    Free Member

One case was dealt with today that I know of

Soz 😳

nickjb
    Free Member

I pretty much stopped using it when the site owners removed the option to comment on threads. Made it more commercial and less like selling cheaply to mates. Since then prices have gone way up. There’s still the odd good deal but far more chancers.

bruneep

If only I could Xtr cranks that are selling for more than they are new.

woodster

I used to look through regularly, but now the prices seem to be ridiculous. And no pictures or a link to a previous post just gets frustrating.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sold my 150mm Revs for about £130! Someone got a bargain with those! They were only about 10 months old too.

Yup thats cheap but if they where 26 with tapered steerer thats quite a niche market as all my bike are 26 straight steerer and I imagine thats a much larger market. Also 150 not as popular as 120-140 ?

I used to look through regularly, but now the prices seem to be ridiculous. And no pictures or a link to a previous post just gets frustrating.

This is very true

bigyinn
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

is it ok to name and shame

I see what you did there….. 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

Stealth advert is stealthy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What’s classed as a trader then?

I bought a top cheap on Amazon last year that was too small, I put it on the classifieds hoping it would go to someone who uses the forum and would get a bargain. When I checked history of person who bought it off me, every post of theirs was a FS add 🙁

Yet they are not classed as a trader ?

bruneep

The Classified Forum is not a place where users can earn a living or supplement their income by buying and selling parts. users who exploit our forum in this way will be considered to be trading. How we define trading is down to our judgement and we may ask you for an explanation of your sale in order to make this judgement. We will look at each instance reported to us or spotted by us on a case by case basis and then we will act at our discretion.
    Businesses are strictly prohibited from using our Classifieds forum.

Some users appear to flout this.

Drac

It isn’t easy to call.

Some just come on here to sell their unwanted items they no longer want, selling for way less than they paid that’s fine.

Others we sometimes spot that they are selling sponsor supplied items, they are a shop or there’s those who buy items and sell them on at a profit. Finding evidence to this can be tricky at times. Then of course we have those that make items, not for a living mind, for a hobby and sell on.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I pretty much stopped using it when the site owners removed the option to comment on threads. Made it more commercial and less like selling cheaply to mates. Since then prices have gone way up. There’s still the odd good deal but far more chancers

this

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback Del, that’s much appreciated.

I could do with wording the extras better (they were the original parts that came with the frame).

Paint chips and cable rub, I get you. Also the Paypal gift thing was just trying to avoid fees. I would never rip anyone off, although I am just a stranger on the internet to most.

I’ll do some rewording on my ad tonight. Promise this isn’t a stealth ad! 🙂

poolman
    Free Member

I saw the Bose mini link speaker the op was asking 135 for, albeit with a case. Anyway,you can buy them cheaper new in the shops, try them out against others and get a warranty….oh and support your local high St. They are a v good speaker and I just bought one new for less than the asking price of the used one.

Have bought loads of stuff off here over the years but I d only pay c50% of the new price to people with lots of history not just classifieds users.

woffle
    Free Member

It isn’t easy to call.

Some just come on here to sell their unwanted items they no longer want, selling for way less than they paid that’s fine.

Others we sometimes spot that they are selling sponsor supplied items, they are a shop or there’s those who buy items and sell them on at a profit. Finding evidence to this can be tricky at times. Then of course we have those that make items, not for a living mind, for a hobby and sell on.

IMO it’s also about contribution (irrespective of whether you feel posting anywhere other than the classifieds is a ‘contribution’). A quick glance at someone’s history gives some idea. Which is why I don’t have an issue with some users selling their own kit, whether they pay traders rates or otherwise, where development and testing is often part and parcel of the forum more generally

But the whole classifieds thing is not just a problem here, especially where it’s a platform to avoid eBay fees etc and presents an opportunity to scam someone. Most forums will have their share of the former and latter, as well as lurkers who are either there to solely get a bargain, or pick up something to sell on elsewhere. Some other places are more self-regulating where there is often preference given to regulars. The problem then being everyone gets accused of being cliquey…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think Ebay is the best place to sell stuff. 30 day listing, BIN or Best Offer. You might get lucky and some’ll ask to do a deal outside of the bay so you both end up better off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Bloody hell folk! (Classifieds moving slow)’ is closed to new replies.