Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 176 total)
  • Bloody great Russian Carrier in the Channel
  • kimbers

Matthew Holehouse By Matthew Holehouse, in Brussels9:14AM BST 11 Jun 2015
    The UK Independence Party faces criticism after attempting to block scrutiny of party donations, as part of a drive to halt Russian influence in Europe.
    Nigel Farage and his MEPs voted today against measures calling for greater transparency of donations from outside the EU to political parties.
    It came in a series of anti-Putin proposals proposed in Strasbourg including measures to counter Russian propaganda and stripping the country of its “strategic partner” status.
    Ukip were joined by the European radical right in opposing the measures, including the Front National, which has received funding from Russia.
    Ukip insisted that they opposed the measures because they think questions of party donations and foreign policy should be set by Britain, not the European Commission.

farige has had to deny allegations from the American government that he had been financed by Putin/russia sources as well

jam-bo

So is boris a russian stooge too?

flanagaj
    Free Member

You can see why this has happened. In the space of 40 years you have gone from a load of countries sitting on the eastern side of the iron curtain to those same countries now belonging to the undemocratic United States of Europe. No fan of Putin, but you can see why he is flexing his muscles.

kimbers

jam bo – Member
    So is boris a russian stooge too?

nah hes one of these brexiteer stooges

No fan of Putin, but you can see why he is flexing his muscles.

really, why?

up until he invaded Ukraine the EU,Germany in particular had very close trade relationshhips, Britain has been the most vocal EU member pushing for sanctions against the EU, its one of the reasons Putin is so happy with brexit

Daffy

So what?

You implied I had no clue because I simply “worked there” and that my observations of BAE and its business were imagined.

You are, as always, flat wrong. That’s what.

flanagaj
    Free Member

really, why?

I thought that would be obvious. Countries which were once communist and sitting on your side of the fence are now swallowed up by a western ‘democracy’ and that said democracy is right on your doorstep as a collective group of nations who will eventually become more integrated and most likely have their own army.

seadog101

They’re in International Waters

Errm, no…. UK and French Territorial waters meet in the middle of the English channel. However, anyone can sail through them under the right of navigation, United Nations Convention On the Law of The Sea.

Almost all maritime straits operate like this, some countries made up of lots of islands, eg Indonesia insist that transiting ships do so along pre-described Arcipelagic Sea-lanes.

Just to get all technical like.

kimbers

I thought that would be obvious. Countries which were once communist and sitting on your side of the fence are now swallowed up by a western ‘democracy’ and that said democracy is right on your doorstep as a collective group of nations who will eventually become more integrated

well why dont they join?

flanagaj
    Free Member

well why dont they join?

Who?

kimbers

Russia, they shouldve signed up to join the EU

of course the Mail would have a shitfit over russian plumbers coming here stealing our jobs etc etc

flanagaj
    Free Member

Russia, they shouldve signed up to join the EU

I don’t see that happening. I think you’d get better odds on WWIII than Russia joining the EU.

philxx1975
    Free Member

You implied I had no clue because I simply “worked there” and that my observations of BAE and its business were imagined.

You are, as always, flat wrong. That’s what.

Ha you think your the only person to ever work at BAE, I bet you witnessed the moon landings too in fact no according to how great you are you will have orchestrated them, there was no implication, re clueless you proved that in your previous regards managment then admit how much money you guys manage to lose 🙄

Someone sits in meetings at BAE then goes home after work to brag about it.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

I’ve nothing to say other than it reminded me of this from my yoof

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JrOFhitTHI[/video]

as you were

Perhaps Russia is just sailing their shittest boat through our waters to make us think they are a bit antiquated?

Russia’s army could walk through Europe, apparently they have far more Nukes than Trumpton and China will side with them in a shitstorm – basically we are **** if they want us to be.

Oh and for those moaning that Dave has disarmed us to the point of being a sitting duck – don’t most of you want that **** Corbyn in charge to get rid of the rest of our defences?

freeagent
    Free Member

How on earth do people know this unless they work for the Russian navy?

because I spent the morning on one they’d just built for the Indian Navy about a year ago.
    It was very old fashioned and antiquated compared to many other Navy ships I’ve been on (inc spending the last 10 years working with the T45s)

slowoldman

Russia’s army could walk through Europe, apparently they have far more Nukes than Trumpton and China will side with them in a shitstorm – basically we are **** if they want us to be.

I’m not sure you understand the concept of “deterrent” or “mutually assured destruction”.

I’m not sure you understand the concept of “deterrent” or “mutually assured destruction”.

I fully understand it – it doesn’t matter how many nukes either side has, it’s all over if a tenth of them go off. My point was, that Russia aren’t some outdated superpower.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Nor does JC. The rubber warheads won’t help.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You do understand the condition and quality of a significant percentage of the ships that pass through Atlantic storms regularly? This thing will be way better maintained and put together.

I wouldn’t bet on it, if it’s half as bad as described then I wouldn’t discount anything, especially considering the state of some of the stuff we’ve sent to sea (before the Navy got it’s budget completely trashed).

hora
    Free Member

I don’t see the issue.

Why is the media stoking paranoia with ‘cold war’?

jam-bo

Brexit init.

making Britain great again.

We’re gonna get the empire back….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We’re gonna get the empire back….

Empire strikes back, good movie

kimbers

hora – Member
    I don’t see the issue.
    Why is the media stoking paranoia with ‘cold war’?

The Russains know who’s stoking all this

[video]https://youtu.be/cc9Ly43zhdY[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

@hora the war is more hot than cold – annexed Crimea, control half of Eastern Ukrain, shot down Malaysian Airliner

Russia clearly not a fan of the EU as ex Soviet Nations join and get large grants making thrm far wealthier than Russia amd thus destabilising the “morher land”

The more I see footage of that creaky smoking old tub the more I think it’s a PR disaster, hardly projecting power is it ?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Its all about the gas pipelines innit…

http://www.anonews.co/ww3-syria/

yunki
    Free Member

war fantasists are gonna be disappointed I ‘spect..

the soviets went – can we pop down through there?
    we went – yeah mate, it’ll look pretty cool and we might get a few extra trident votes

All your overactive imaginings from reading too much Commando and having homoerotic soldier fantasies is laughable

CountZero

There’s always the option of flying torpedo and depth-charge carrying maritime patrol craft overhead to show that we still maintain an airborne anti-ship deterrent, something like our Nimr…oh. Clever Dave scrapped those in 2010 too, didn’t he?

Well, we did have the Fairey Gannet, an extraordinarily capable ASW/AEW aircraft, with superb loiter capabilities when one engine was shut down, but they were scrapped by Tony Benn.
    Shortly after, we had the Falklands conflict, and had to cobble together a radar bolted to the side of a Sea King helicopter.
    Genius move, Tony.
    That aircraft carrier must be tiny, considering the size of the two Sukhoi parked on the deck, she surely can’t carry very many aircraft of that size?

deadkenny
    Free Member

All happened while NatWest attempted to shut down Russia Today. UK Gov denies they were involved of course. Coincidence the Russian fleet passed through right now? Perhaps as supposedly they’d planned heading to Syria before the NatWest thing. Then again, would they have taken the route through the English Channel before RT was threatened with closure?

aracer
    Free Member

Well they’d have to – I don’t suppose they have enough transport which works

chewkw
    Free Member

I really don’t know what the big deal is to see Russian fleet, I mean it is not as if they are hostile towards UK or any of the EU nation.

They are just passing through and I would welcome them for some fish and chips.

I mean are you lot really feel threaten by that old aircraft carrier? Their fleet is so old I bet they need to make their own parts while sailing to their destination.

The size of the Russian aircraft carrier is not even close by comparison to the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

Guess who has the most aircraft carriers in the world. Yes, the so called “world police”.

At the moment the enemy is definitely Not Russia or Bashar al-Assad.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

At the moment the enemy is definitely Not Russia or Bashar al-Assad.

Not sure the folks of Aleppo share your sentiments..

wilburt
    Free Member

We have less than half the population and 1.5x the GDP of Russia, if we wanted to outgun them we could. We’re just not governed by a mobster with a small penis.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

considering the size of the two Sukhoi parked on the deck

Have you actually seen those things up close? At Culdrose back in the day one burped an engine and the whole place freaked the frock out, wasn’t allowed to fly. Bloody huge.

El-bent
    Free Member

Russia’s army could walk through Europe

Why haven’t they yet? oh, that’s right, because its bollox.

As for the carrier, who honestly in the west gets intimidated by that? The only nation in the World that puts a tug to sea with its carrier in case it breaks down.

Russia’s Submarine fleet however, is another proposition.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Russia’s army could walk through Europe

They need to update their impressive military mapping

https://www.sovietmaps.com

We have less than half the population and 1.5x the GDP of Russia, if we wanted to outgun them we could.

This guy disagrees

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/17/uks-withered-armed-forces-could-not-withstand-russia-attack-reti/

wilburt
    Free Member

I do wish people would read the posts theyre going to disagree with.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Naah, takes the fun out of it 😉

slowoldman

Has it gone yet? Can I come from under the table?

CountZero

Have you actually seen those things up close? At Culdrose back in the day one burped an engine and the whole place freaked the frock out, wasn’t allowed to fly. Bloody huge.

Not the Sukhoi, I’ve sat in a Czech Republic Mig, might have been a 24, and that seemed pretty big.
    Just wiki’d the carrier, it carries more aircraft than I thought:

Aircraft carried:
    Approx. 41 aircraft[4]
    Fixed Wing;
    12 × Su-33 fighters (current)
    20 × MiG-29K/KUB fighters (future)[5]
    4 × Sukhoi Su-25UTG/UBP trainers
    Rotary Wing;
    4 × Kamov Ka-27LD32 helicopters
    18 × Kamov Ka-27PL helicopters
    2 × Kamov Ka-27PS helicopters

chewkw
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member
    This guy disagrees

I agree with him.

I want to see the expensive F-35B Lightning II that UK is buying in action.

According to the designer of F-16 all simulations involving F-35 ended with F-35 as sitting ducks for Sukhoi. Apparently, the contract for the US govt to buy/build F-35 was partly due favouring one company over the other.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Bloody great Russian Carrier in the Channel’ is closed to new replies.