Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bloody Fireworks ( traumatised dog now )
  • trout
    Free Member

Every year they get bigger and louder ( im am not Knocking folks have fun but why the fireworks )

last night I thought i would take Paddy the parsons russel out a bit earlier to avoid the fireworks , He coped ok on guy fawkes night .
    I normally take him around 22.30 but went 20.30 last night there were a few fireworks going off even then .
    got up into the fields he seemed ok then looked round and he was gone .
    shouted and whistled nope no sign .

Got the light out and had a good look and spotted 2 eyes shining from a very antisocial hawthorn and holly hedge There was the little bugger I htought he had chased a rabbit in there but no he was sat in there shaking . would not come out so I had to crawl in to get him . and had to drag him out , the only way I could get in there was on my stomach in the freezing mud and slush .

put his lead on but he would not walk just stood there shaking , I first thought he had hurt himself , so carried him half a mile back to the road put him down and he set off home pulling on the lead not even sniffing at his normal pee posts.

He settled down a bit on the sofa untill the battle of the somme started at midnight he started shaking again .

now this morning he wont go outside at all put him on the lead and he just stood there shaking so now I need to rehabilitate him for walkies.

this is his first new year anyone got any tips for next time

allthepies
    Free Member

dtfu ?

luke
    Free Member

Fireworks are actually getting quiter and the explosive content smaller, although like the USA the box or container there put in is getting bigger to make you think there getting bigger, but thats no the issue.
    If your dog doesnt like noise, be it fireworks, thunder etc next time your at the vet's mention it and they can give you some pill's that will chill your dog right out.

Stoner
    Free Member

so carried him half a mile back to the road put him down

bit extreme there trout 😉

trout
    Free Member

ATP
    you can tell him that when he comes to wee in your shoes

rOcKeTdOg

used to get canine tranquilisers from the vet for my parsons, they did the trick along with a loud TV/stereo, if only people would just let fireworks off just on NY Eve and bonfire night and not for 2 weeks before and after

carbon337
    Free Member

My springer decided to try and eat through some doors last night, they were going off right up till 1:30 around here.

They do seem to get worse every year, he wont go outside this morning so all the hard work we have had to do since 5th Nov needs to be redone.

Rant over

TooTall
    Free Member

There are enough posters on here with Small Dog Syndrome – why not ask how they cope?

😈

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Agree, the fireworks are taking the piss at new year now, is it just me or have they only occured since the fabled millenium new year?

One thing I noticed a lot of around here last night was the paper lanterns going up. Really nice. A peaceful start to the year, and they burn for ages, so those needing to send something into the sky could use those, and not expend ££££s on a quick whiz bang.

My dog (stupidly) likes fireworks and sits watching them.

DavidB
    Free Member

<Laughs very loudly at DTFU>

CHB

Round our bit of leeds everyone was OK. No fireworks before 23:50 (well theres always one with a fast clock!) and all over with by 00:20.

My dog is getting better with fireworks than she used to be.

Jamie
    Free Member

allthepies:
    dtfu ?

I literally lol'd.

Dancake
    Free Member

My dog (stupidly) likes fireworks and sits watching them.

same here. Found myself in the spare room at 12.15 with my wife, 2 dogs and a freshly woken (by fireworks) 20 month old watching the local pub's display.

Little dude actulally went back to sleep afterwards which was unbelievable.

lots of paper lanterns here too. First time I saw them was earlier this year. Thought it was some kind of natural phenomenon 🙂

nb I wouldnt be so cheery if Little Dancake was up all night after his rude awakening….

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

If fireworks were let off every night your dogs would soon get used to it.

Jolsa

Found dtfu rather amusing also 😀

Mum's dog would start shaking after hearing just one distant firework over Christmas. Previously they'd got some tablets from the vet but apparently they weren't very effective. Last night they gave the dog half a cup of beer and it chilled her out nicely and got her through the fireworks.

Don't have any pets myself, but I would like to see fireworks restricted to the days in question, not a month leading up to/after the event.

spooky_b329

Fireworks in our street were not too bad…started at midnight for about 15 minutes, then some idiot decided to let off the rest about 30 minutes later.

But next-door-but-one obviously decided to go out for the evening, their dog was barking its head off from 10.15 to 01.00, non-stop. Nothing to do with fireworks, it just doesn't like being left behind. It was pretty loud even though there is another house separating us! The only time I've seen the dog taken out for a walk was last week when the road was covered in ice, result was a hugely excited dog dragged its owner down the road on his arse.

westkipper
    Free Member

Sorry, but this thread is just 'political correctness gone mad'!
    What about the thousands of Posties traumatised by Jack russells, the meanest dogs out there!
    I'd like to see the sale of these dugs restricted to a few days per decade, so that we can do our jobs, having to worry only about relatively safe dogs, like pitbulls and rotweillers etc. 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

The best solution would be to take your dog to Holland next year for NYE. The dutch start letting fireworks off in the couple of weeks before Christmas, but they declare WAR on the sky at midnight on NYE – the battle goes on for the next 4 hours or so – they set bonfires in the streets, and generally go nuts.

After one year like that, your dog will be totally relaxed about a couple of people enjoying themselves on NYE in the UK.

sherry
    Free Member

Fireworks should only be at public displays, none should be sold to the irresponsible public. There are far to many f**kwits and down right stupid people to be handling small explosives!

vikingboy
    Free Member

dtfu – never have four letters been so funny 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

My dog loves fireworks. Just get a gun, or a dummy launcher, and spend the next 12 months training your dog not to be such a fanny. 🙂

Drac

Bugger DTFU already gone.

My lab loved the fireworks she though she was on a shoot and would hunt out for game. This year she wasn't bothered in the slightest but then she's been dead for about a month.

Karinofnine

dtfu

comic genius

still laughing

trout
    Free Member

I told him to DTFU and this was the response

zokes
    Free Member

Ur dog iz saricin

rOcKeTdOg

vikingboy – Member
    dtfu – never have four letters been so funny

2010 should be the year you get out more then

MrNutt
    Free Member

pop down to your nearest bus stop and ask the yoovfs if they could "spot you some K" in return for a box of explosives, mix the additive with said canines elevenses and everyones happy!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Fireworks ( traumatised dog now )’ is closed to new replies.