Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bloody Creaking Titanium bike, only when its dry?
  • yetitony
    Free Member

I have owned my On One Titanium 456 for several years now and had much pleasure from it. More recently I have picked up a very annoying creak which only happens when I get out of the saddle and put some power down.
    I have replaced/inspected the usual suspects (BB, headset, seatpost ect) and when this didn’t help replaced nearly every component from my other bike (cranks, wheels, brakes). The creak remained.
    I even took it too my LBS who believed it was the replaceable rear dropouts but new bolts and even replacing the dropouts has not cured the problem.
    The interesting thing is I commuted to work this morning in the rain and the noise has gone… But comes back when dry!
    Any thoughts?

Stoner
    Free Member

I get it when the air is v dry. I find a gentle squirt with GT85 around metal/metal contact points like tugnut/dropout/qr etc helps. As does seat rails, post clamp, headset etc. Its not enough to “lubricate” just penetrates enough to stop creaks.

wwaswas

wait for a dry day, soak individual areas of the frame with water squeezed from a drinking bottle as you ride along and see when the noise disappears?

g5604
    Free Member

Loosen one of your waterbottle bolts to mask the sound and get on with your life.

mahowlett
    Free Member

I used to get this on my Cotic Soda, especially if it had sat in the garage for a few days in hot weather, invariably the copper slip on the BB threads had dried / washed out, lavishly reapplying fresh stuff always fixed it for me.

somafunk

It could be the star fangle bung in the steerer, remove the bolt and see if that makes a difference

joshvegas
    Free Member

g5604 – Member
    Loosen one of your waterbottle bolts to mask the sound and get on with your life.

And to take it to the next level… mudguards.

P20

Did they have an alloy insert in the seat tube?

40mpg

One time I had this, i finally worked out it was a worn pedal bearing.

Another time, more sinister 🙁

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9QcaL4]P6040251[/url] by Allan, on Flickr

Fixed with a quick weld though, and still going strong 5 years later!

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I had a similar thing on my road bike and ended up using a donor bike to systematically rule out components as being the problem. It ended up being the spokes of the back wheel which for whatever reason ended up creaking under power when it was dry. I added a bit of oil to the spokes and cleaned up where they cross over each other and it solved the problem. No idea why it should have happened but might have been that i’d spilled some tubeless solution on them or something that made them stick together slightly. Problem solved for me anyway.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Last week I was getting an annoying double click at the bottom of each right pedal stroke, I stripped the chainset and regreased everything in sight without success.
    I then stripped and greased the headset, problem sorted (until next time).

damascus
    Free Member

Rear skewer?

timidwheeler

In my experience it’s always the pedals.

fasthaggis

My last one was that the front wheel bearings had dried out,took be blinkin ages to find as I was sure it was BB or pedals. 😳

ninfan
    Free Member

Assuming no cracks…

pedal rails/cleats

seat insert shim (34.9 outer diam with an Aluminium shim to take a 27.2 seatpost on the 456 Ti, non?)

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have a Ti seat post with Ti seat rails. They creak unless occasionally lubed. Swap either out and it goes away.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Steerer tube of fork perhaps?
    A mere guess different to those above.

teasel
    Free Member

only happens when I get out of the saddle and put some power down.

No biggy to do but just try loosening and re-tightening your bottle cage bolts.

I stripped and rebuilt everything that moved, substituted everything that was easy to whip off, greased every usual suspect and got to the point of almost knocking out the headset cups or just accepting a frame write off when it became apparent that I’d neglected those little bastards pretty much since I’d owned the frame.

Still, the bike had a full inspection and grease in the process…

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I used to get this on my Cotic Soda, especially if it had sat in the garage for a few days in hot weather, invariably the copper slip on the BB threads had dried / washed out, lavishly reapplying fresh stuff always fixed it for me.

Me too. Occurs about once a year. Cranks off and put another 1/8 of a turn on the BB cups and it’s solved for another year. (They just seem to work fractionally loose over time)

Keva
    Free Member

my Ti456 is the same. I take the BB out, take pedals apart (V12s) and give it all a good clean and a grease up then it’s okay again. I had to put some grease on the saddle rails the other day as it was creaking when I was in the saddle too. It’s been dry this year for a change, well round here anyway.

kcal

on regular spins my bike would have no sounds but out of the saddle, once per revolution, somewhere between creak and clunk. One pedal spindle was fractionally worn on its bearings (XTR but I’d bought s/h). Replaced and no further noise. Sold on as worn, noisy but working..

BB would be other candidate as likely some flex not apparent on normal spinning. Stem/bars?

daver27
    Free Member

could be cable ferrules at your bars even.

if its really annoying you, its going to be a replace one part at a time till its gone job! hope its not a big (expensive) part!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pedals, bb or the rear qr… Is my guess

Suggsey
    Free Member

It’s your pedal axle against your cleats/shoes……..bet ya…..I get it every now and again with certain shoe pedal combos.

richardthird

I had a good one on a mate’s new Canyon Inflite (Alu) to add to the list.

Awful squeak which seemed like the BB area as usual. Nope. New DT Swiss wheelset, cassette off, freehub off, there’s a poxy alu ring spacer around the axle to fit the 11sp freehub.

A **** dry bodge. Needed plenty grease to get rid of that squeak. Not impressed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Creaking Titanium bike, only when its dry?’ is closed to new replies.