Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Bloodhound
  • myopic
    Free Member

Rich_s, the run at 30 mins doesn’t break the Sound barrier. That was 1 week later at 38 min in the linked vid

northernmatt

High speed tyres, you just get old part worn tyres cut off the tread with a carving knife then rub some boot polish into the cracks and you are good to go.

You are Burt Munro and I claim my £500 +vat

Rich_s

Rich_s, the run at 30 mins doesn’t break the Sound barrier. That was 1 week later at 38 min in the linked vid

Yep, but my Ron Jeremy moment (the one that made me go “**** me!”) was @ 30.00 😉

scotroutes

I wonder how they get bearings to take the load ?

Did I not read that the wheels aren’t actually turning when it’s up to speed?

Rich_s
    legend
    Free Member

If the wheels aren’t turning it be a plane, so probably not eligible 🙂

scotroutes

Found the comment…

It talks about the wheels not turning the car (as in steering it) as they act as rudders instead. My fault for skim-reading.

legend – I had come to much the same conclusion. It would actually be a ground-in-effect vehicle.

myopic
    Free Member

“If the wheels aren’t turning it be a plane, so probably not eligible” or a sledge 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

I think you’ll find I already hold the Sledge World Speed Record; on Otley Chevin when I was about 10 years old…

Rachel

Rich_s

Nah, Warney was faster…

Fun-living Aussie bowler Shane Warne had great success against South African batsman Cullinan. After a gap in their rivalry, Warne greeted Cullinan by saying: “I’ve been waiting two years for another chance at you”. Cullinan replied: “Looks like you spent it eating.”

sargey

My grandad worked on thunderbolt in the late thirties which was a land speed record breaking car built at bean cars in Tipton.
    It used two rolls Royce v12 aero engines one of which had powered a schnieder trophy winning aircraft before being used in thunderbolt.
    In 1939 its last timed runs at bonniville raised the record to 357 mph.

philjunior
    Free Member

Meh, does nothing for me.

Meh, replying to people who’ve opened a thread only to say they’re not interested does nothing for me 🙂

Did I not read that the wheels aren’t actually turning when it’s up to speed?

As per the above answers, I believe the wheels will be turning at speed, however I also believe the land speed record includes vehicles in ground effect, so you could fly very very low and bag a land speed record.

Edit – flying that low would make all the supersonic issues lots more “fun”.

DezB
    Free Member

Meh, replying to people who’ve opened a thread only to say they’re not interested does nothing for me

I bet molgrips doesn’t even remember he typed those words. A year ago.

philjunior
    Free Member

Meh, replying to people who’ve opened a thread only to say they’re not interested does nothing for me

I bet molgrips doesn’t even remember he typed those words. A year ago.

Very true. I bet I don’t remember reading the start of this thread a year ago! But when someone on the internet is WRONG, it has to be pointed out.

matt_outandabout

😎🚀🏎️

boomerlives
    Free Member

so you could fly very very low and bag a land speed record.

There isn’t a plane that could go 1,000 mph at zero feet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I suspect more than a few have, just not parralel to the ground.

Houns

Anyone else found their names on the tail fin? Luckily mine Is near the top on the first (r/h) side

PJM1974
    Free Member

I suspect more than a few have, just not parralel to the ground.

Indeed.

null

TheDTs
    Free Member

How do you find out where your name is, Houns?

hols2
    Free Member

I thought this must have been an exaggeration so I checked it out. Turns out that a modified F104 did crack 1000 mph, but there was an instrumentation failure so it doesn’t count as an official record. The same aircraft has the official record of 988 mph.

Then on 2 October 1977 Darryl Greenamyer broke the record by flying average 1010 mph. Sadly this record became unofficial due to a tracking camera malfunction.. This was very frustrating. Then on the 24th that month Darryl did a new attempt and flew an FAI 3 km official record flight of 988.26 mph average. Sadly he did not break the 1000 mph this time but it was fast enough!!!

http://www.i-f-s.nl/red-baron/

Houns

Subscribe to the newsletter and there’s a link showing the names on the fin. There’s no easy way, you just have to zoom right in and scan the thousands of names

Edit for the linky

https://www.bloodhoundlsr.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Bloodhound-LSR-Fin-Names.pdf

matt_outandabout

That red baron link is fascinating.

markoc1984

Subscribe to the newsletter and there’s a link showing the names on the fin. There’s no easy way, you just have to zoom right in and scan the thousands of names

Edit for the linky

https://www.bloodhoundlsr.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Bloodhound-LSR-Fin-Names.pdf

It’s a PDF so you can just search the text for your name, took me 10 seconds to find my name.

thepurist

461 today apparently

athgray
    Free Member

I think their plan it to have test runs up to 500mph with a return next year to go for the record.

I wish they would have a go at it this year.

matt_outandabout

Yes, they are doing +50mph per day up to over 500.

Rich_s

They can’t go for the record this year – no rocket fitted afaik.

athgray
    Free Member

They can’t go for the record this year – no rocket fitted afaik.

I wasnt sure whether the record was achievable or not without the rocket.

I know they needed it to aim for 1000mph.

scuttler

Have some ‘o that!

Remeber Thrust SSC wasn’t in the era of drones, GoPros and cheap 600FPS. Loving the camera in the floor! Gonna try again with the soundbar on!

Anyone know if our names are still gonna be on the paintwork?

Houns

Yup, see a few posts above

matt_outandabout

628!

Come on…

To put that in context, that’s 5mph from Thrust2/ Noble’s first record.

boomerlives
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed following this;it’s a shame they are now done.

And without a muscular sponsor they won’t be back…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

How much do they need ?

matt_outandabout

760 ish is current record.

PLEASE will someone step up and send them back out next year with the funds they need.

P20

Bloodhound: Chasing the Land Speed Record: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000cgls via @bbciplayer

matt_outandabout

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Bloodhound’ is closed to new replies.