• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • blood when coughing and snot xray doctor in the house
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

So the mrs went to the Docs this morning (as we all did) she has infected throat but she has also been coughing, lots of phlegm with streaky blood same from when blowing nose.(not lots of blood) (heavy cold) the doctor sent her off for a chest x ray get results in 10 days. the snot and cough has got less as has the blood.

Doc says just covering bases etc prob from cold etc…does this sound normal ?

Paranoid husband…

wwaswas

sit her in front of cartoon network for a few days and don’t worry.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

will do !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blood in snot / sputum should always be checked but 99% its merely from a tiny tear from coughing / nose blowing

derek_starship
    Free Member

I would say it is normal to investigate any occult sputum.

Most probably, the blood is from small ruptured vessels in the airway from the exertion of coughing / blowing the nose.

D0NK

I’ve had blood flecked snot/phlegm this week, thankfully seems to have sorted itself now.

Rickos
    Free Member

…or it could be pneumonia! That’s what mine was, but then I was coughing up lumps rather than just thick goop.

wwaswas

occult sputum

There’s devil worshippers living in her throat! Run! Run for your lives!

Drac

She hasn’t been eating “Special Stuff” has she?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Drac…no !

Cougar

occult sputum

I think I saw them playing in the pub last week.

DrP

Completely reasonable course of action TBH. The blood is most likely secondary from the infection (commonest cause of blood in phlegm) but understandably your Doc is being aware of other rarer but important causes too – all very unlikely from the sounds, but better to be safe…!

DrP

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

thanks DrP

DrP

No worries 😉

(one for T-J there!)

DrP

D0NK

so a teeny bit of blood for a couple of days then none and generally feeling much better shouldn’t be anything to worry about?

yes I’m sometimes a bit of a hypochondriac

DrP

As always, this is the interweb and anything spouted on here could be (and usually is) complete tosh made up by a 13 year old girl looking for the “hello kitty forum” and hyperclicked to this thread instead, thus anything medical should be completely ignored…but….

A bit of blood in snot/phlegm with associated symptoms of an infection, which all resolves with full resolution of the infection, is most likely related to said infection and therefore probably nothing to worry about…

DrP

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘blood when coughing and snot xray doctor in the house’ is closed to new replies.